It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplainable UFO Phenomena To Be Scientifically Analyzed In New Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
IFLScience

An international team is trying to create a systematic and rigorous approach to studying unexplained aerial phenomena, commonly known as UFOs.

The non-profit organization is called UFO Detection and Tracking, (UFODATA) and it seeks to construct a large network of surveillance stations to monitor the skies 24/7 using optical and infrared cameras, sound and ultrasound detectors, weather stations, Geiger counters, and magnetometers.

"[…] we are going to use astrophysical methodology in order to carry out research on light anomalies appearing in our atmosphere, where we expect to obtain an optimum signal-to-noise ratio due to the predictably high luminosity of the phenomenon and its relative closeness to the observer," Astrophysicist Massimo Teodorani, a member of the UFODATA science team, said in a statement. "In such a way – with precise numbers in our hands – we are in a condition to select very carefully truly anomalous cases from cases that can be explained by prosaic causes."

This is exactly what this topic desperately needs. Scientific, peer reviewed analysis. The long standing debate between "Believers" and "Debunkers" needs a solid foundation by which to continue. Both side require grounding on this topic so much. With the internet comes a lot of disinformation and hoaxes. We've seen tons and tons of these threads popping up with absolutely nothing to support them at all.

At the end of the day, UFOs are a phenomenon, and it is scientific review and study that will illuminate the discussion. I look forward to the results as we have used the scientific method to illuminate the universe around us, so too can we illuminate the mysteries that ensnare our imaginations.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good find. I feel that the findings will be so basic and the equipment used will be Insufficient (non profit) that the findings will remain inconclusive. If anything they will have "scientific evidence " that will prove these phenomenon to have natural causes. (Hope not).

Also it seems like they are relying on the "iluminous " type ufo's for them to gain any statistical evidence, which seems rather self fulfilling in my eyes.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

I agree with this. There really will not be enough funding to do this properly.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The non-profit organization is called UFO Detection and Tracking, (UFODATA) and it seeks to construct a large network of surveillance stations to monitor the skies 24/7 using optical and infrared cameras, sound and ultrasound detectors, weather stations, Geiger counters, and magnetometers.

It won't work because they choose who to reveal themselves to. All these systems are disabled when they want them to be.

My take anyway.
edit on 4-11-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

In science you go where the facts lead you, not where you hope it will.

I understand the proclivity toward bias in these situations where our beliefs stand to be challenged by the findings. It is my intent to reserve judgement until I can read the published and reviewed data.

The the process take its course.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I've been interested in UFOs for nearly half a century. This kind of thing has been tried many times before, and it's going to run into the same problem as the projects before it. A kind of study like this always hits the same old brick wall -- government/aerospace secrecy.

We have plenty of images and footage of crazy stuff flying around in the sky. And what answers have we gotten from them? None. Because a little light zooming around in the sky will always potentially be a secret government project of some kind, and they they're not going to tell you if it is or if it ain't. Because it's secret! And the government only keeps two kinds of secrets: 1) what they know, and 2) what they don't know.

Unless a flying saucer crashes in front of one of the cameras and the investigators are there to get an actual piece of the thing to have independently verified as from aliens or time travelers or whoever, it's going to be a big waste of time and effort and money.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I would recommend reading the article and paying special attention to how they will gather raw data.

That is key.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I applaud the approach but this has been done for years (linking up sensors to recording equipment and pointing it skywards) with little or no results (that I have ever heard of).

Still, if something is there, it will be good to get some stronger evidence.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

From their website.

The UFODATA Project

Our goal is to exploit this technological convergence by building a large network of automated surveillance stations with sophisticated sensors that will monitor the skies 24/7 looking for aerial anomalies. After over two years of developing our ideas, making plans, and testing relevant technologies we are now ready to move into the next phase – a ‘proof of concept’ by developing our first working prototype of a fully functioning monitoring station. This station will have a core optical unit with cameras capable of detecting and recording both an image and spectra, a magnetic sensing unit, instrumentation to detect microwave and other radiation, and other sensors to record atmospheric and local environmental data. Alarm triggers will initiate recording by all the equipment, permitting capture of a broad range of physical data that can then be analyzed by experts.
www.ufodata.net...

It's an interesting idea and rings a bell from the past , I'm sure something like this was proposed back in the 50s (from memory)
Time will tell if it's worth following or just another fund me cash cow although the list of those involved seems clean enough.
www.ufodata.net...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Let's hope they don't make the same unforgivable mistakes NASA has.
edit on 4-11-2015 by trifecta because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It would be good to get some real evidence but what happens when they do...And where or who will they take it too? Will it not get shot down as being tampered with it being fake? It's hard to find any mainstream that will back this stuff up....that's my take on this but I sure would love to see them prove people wrong.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
It's an interesting idea and rings a bell from the past , I'm sure something like this was proposed back in the 50s (from memory). Time will tell if it's worth following or just another fund me cash cow although the list of those involved seems clean enough.

It's the same old thing, just with better equipment.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Same old thing maybe but having more and more equipment out there will hopefully blow the lid off of this and finally people can start demanding a response from the powers that be. I am too broke as many of us are to do this sort of thing but I believe if we all band together and donate some time or money to this sort of cause it may bear fruit.

It would not surprise me at all if government infiltrators make it into key positions to sabotage things though.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: stabstab
It would not surprise me at all if government infiltrators make it into key positions to sabotage things though.

Way to make excuses for it before it even happens. Always protect your beliefs.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

This is my biggest issue with the UFO community.

They protect their beliefs.

In what is very much a scientific phenomena i.e. potential life elsewhere than earth, or intelligent drones created by a living or now extinct race of actual beings, or any number of other phenomena that we may not even recognize yet as very much earthly or man made, the UFO community will reject any notion of scientific review as they know that if the results challenge what they believe, then it must be a conspiracy.

This is why the UFO community has never actually been taken seriously by mainstream scientific researchers, and likely never will be.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It's the same old thing, just with better equipment.

That could be said about most scientific experiments but better equipment could yield better results , no ?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Think about it Scientific = Ufo's don't exists.
Do you really think they will change their paradigm view just because of datamining ?

Conclusion : Ufo's are a natural phenomenon.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: raytheo

No conclusion has been drawn other than the fact that this is a real phenomenon that is in need of study.

How do you know what they will find? Why can't it be natural phenomena? Why MUST it be aliens? What if its man made? What if it isn't any of those things?

What then?

I recommend keeping an open mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
That could be said about most scientific experiments but better equipment could yield better results , no ?

That's a logical fallacy. It assumes the lack of good results is because of the limitations of your equipment and unfound data, not that the hypothesis is incorrect to begin with.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

eh,,,well no, I didn't say it MUST be aliens did I? it could be a natural phenomenon , hmmmm.... even humans are a natural phenomenon . Yes my mind is open.

But , think about it science and occam' s razor fair to say that after more than 70 years of ufo research I'm a bit weary of 'research' regarding the phenomenon.... it's just debunking ( think Hessdalen lights ).

If you look at a YT vid of Massimo Teodorani you see stuff like this

www.youtube.com...

My point : wasn't lloyd pye also a paranormal researcher....

Don't get me wrong I really like fringe science. BUT if one is labeled paranormal researcher al results become kind of tainted...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join