It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entergy to close FitzPatrick Nuclear Plant in Oswego County in New York.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
600 Jobs Gone!

SCRIBA, N.Y. – Entergy Corp. plans to shut down its money-losing FitzPatrick nuclear power plant in Oswego County after the reactor runs out of fuel next year. Entergy officials called a meeting of employees today to announce that the company will not install more enriched uranium fuel rods next September, which would be required to continue operating the facility.

the 850-megawatt facility will shut down in late 2016 or early 2017 and begin laying off its 615 employees.

$74 million annual payroll and its $17.3 million in yearly property tax payments.

As a New Yorker, I can safely say New York's failing economy, high taxes, and tax policies contributed to this. I'm wondering if a backup power source is being planned? Will the existing power grid absorb the loss of this nuclear plant. There is another nuclear plant near Rochester, New York: R.E. Ginna Nuclear Power Plant.
Fitzpatrick Nuclear Plant

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Cosmic911

Ummm...wow...that means I wont be able to use the steam plume to navigate by when out sailing on the lake......bummer...

I remember taking a field trip there in high school...........waaaaaaaay back...one of the few days I actually attended that is...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

There will still be tax dollars and lots of workers decommissioning the place. That will probably take another 20 years. If it's like the one north of there the only thing left is a tombstone and the waste because there's no place to transport it to.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...wow...that means I wont be able to use the steam plume to navigate by when out sailing on the lake......bummer...

I remember taking a field trip there in high school...........waaaaaaaay back...one of the few days I actually attended that is...

That's funny you mention the plume! I worked as a flight paramedic for a local medevac company a few years back. Once we got airborne, say 500 to 1000 ft, if the stack plumes were visible we knew we had a certain of miles of visibility.

YouSir

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"Money Losing" We were all told it was more efficient cheaper form of energy production. the union is why it is not a money maker. forced to pay higher electric bills with a higher production cost because the people that work there want $75 dollars per hour and full benefits.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's probably not the unions or the taxes. The problem is the insurance. These went stratospheric after Fukushima. The owner basically takes a bet with the insurance company over whether or not they will nuke an area within 100 miles radius. If they do, then the insurer compensates everyone for lost land, property and revenue. When you are within range of one of the most valuable/expensive cities in the world, that's a massive amount of money to payout.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

maybe a combination of both

join