It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What´s your favorite type of cooker?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
What´s your favorite type of cooker? Gas, electro, induction, wood?

I´ve learned to cook on a wood stove, later used those electro plate cookers, then ceran types, tried induction... But since I got that gas cooker, I love it. The response time is instant, although you have to trust your feeling. If you need to slow-broil something for hours and want to leave the room now and then, with a closed pot, it can be tricky. Not that I never have "cooked" with gas/fire on camping but it´s something else when you have it in the kitchen.

It´s faster, cheaper and way more fun to me, no wonder why they are used in the professional field! So much cheaper in compared to electro. SHTF proof (made mine). I always thought the cleaning would be the greatest negative point but in fact it turned out it´s even easier and as fast as, if not quicker. You don´t have to fear to ruin the cooking surface while cleaning, like with most other types.
When I need to boil up 5L of water for making Spätzle, it took forever on the electro to boil, even with pre-heated water...

Now I always find the right point when I make the steaks! Think it has to do with the instant regulation. You can see I love the new gas cooker

But it´s all personal preference so what´s your favorite type and why?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Mum, cause she's the best

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I have used gas both professionally and personally and I would only recommend that for proper cooking.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have used gas both professionally and personally and I would only recommend that for proper cooking.

Agreed, gas is best for fine temperature adjustment and the speed at which you can heat up initially.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I've cooked on both wood/coal and gas stoves. The first as a small boy in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. I hate electric stoves. Even with a graduated dial, I just can't seem to get the heat the way I want it. Gas stoves.....I can see the flame and don't have go by the number on the dial to get the setting I want and it's the only stove I'll have in my house. I'd love to have a Viking, but I don't have that kind of money to shell out.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Charcoal/Outdoor grill hands down.

I'd use that to cook darn near anything and everything if the seasons here allowed it (comfortably).
edit on 10/28/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
A gas hob with an electric oven. As you said control of the gas on a hob is amazing. But an electric fan oven cooks consistently, fast and evenly.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Now I always find the right point when I make the steaks!

Large iron skillet sat on a burner at it's highest setting for 5 minutes, till the pan is ripping hot. Throw in the steak, 3 1/2 minutes on each side [ Medium rare/ mostly pink but not bloody, beautiful crust on the outside ] Plate, let rest for about 5 minutes and devour. Repeat till cow is gone.
Whoops forgot the salt - Coat the steaks on each side with Kosher salt at least a few hours before cooking, the day before is preferable. Pulls juice and protein to the top for that wonderful crust you see in restaurant steaks, Does Not make the meat salty and helps tenderize.
edit on 28-10-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I'd love to have a Viking, but I don't have that kind of money to shell out.

Wolf guy here. I had them at my restaurants and at home. You can get good used high end appliances at restaurant supply establishments or at auction. One of the lodges in my district got a great Viking 60" for $4,000.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Large iron skillet sat on a burner at it's highest setting for 5 minutes, till the pan is ripping hot. Throw in the steak, 3 1/2 minutes on each side [ Medium rare/ mostly pink but not bloody, beautiful crust on the outside ] Plate, let rest for about 5 minutes and devour. Repeat till cow is gone.

One of my favorite ways to cook steak.

I like to throw some herbs and butter in the pan while the steak is resting and then spoon the jus over the steak before serving.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
A meth cooker

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I like tandooris. Nothing quite cooks meat like those

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Do you keep it in your RV?*

*RV translated into your language is a caravan.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: crazyewok

Do you keep it in your RV?*

*RV translated into your language is a caravan.

Na cant find a RV with a tandoori anywere

edit on 28-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Na cant find a RV with a tandoori anywere

Maybe if you called Saul.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Better call saul!!
I often use rosemarin trenches and fresh milled coloured pepper with olive oil and vakuum it for a few hours in the fridge. After fyring,
I always rest it for around 5 minutes at 100°C in the pre heated oven without the fan on(translates to around 80° measured). Then I use the juice in the foil to spice up sauce if I make one. The meantime, the steaks rest another 5 minutes until to sauce is ready. Happy devouring :-)

The important thing is that the meat has hanged for at least two weeks! Makes so much difference.

a reply to: DAVID64
I use a cast iron pan for that. I´ve been told to not salt the meat, and depending on how you roast the meat, also no pepper until shortly before you throw it into the pan, if the steak is not in marinade or oil. This was said to me by a one star cook but I´m not doubting your method, in fact I will try it! Just need Kosher salt.

a reply to: Nexttimemaybe
I have the oven extra, its electric like you say an electric fan oven with grill function is better than a gas oven.

@all
So it seems I´m not alone with that opinion :-)
BTW, it´s not as beautiful as the one posted, it´s a simple 4 knob, build into the kitchen panel. It´s fed by a gas bottle (5kg?) and it lasts half a year or so. I also connected it to the PV/BAT switching hub in case power is out I can still use the electric ignition and also cook. Amazing cheap if you compare it to electric costs that can be high as 28€cent/kwh depending on time. It´s not that we have many power outtakes but I think it was 2003 in December we were 24h without power, in another house. That´s a problem when you need power for your heating, cooking etc. In my own house I can heat the whole house with wood, cook with gas and I always keep the photovoltaiks batterys charged for lightning and small appliances, rest is sold to the electric company.
It´s a problem though, when you have light, a steaming chimney, and all the neighbors start ringing your bell(;-)) asking if you know whats up because their power is out.
edit on 28-10-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Deep fryer anyone? I admit it's a guilty pleasure deep fried fish and chips, pickerel is just such a tasty fish why not fry it?

But if I had to pick one cooking medium to use for eternity it would be out door gas grill.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
It's all about time, gas is fast and easy to use.

If you have time, wood or charcoal for the best results.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

A smoker box.

A friend of mine had one, he'd throw some marinated drumsticks and wings in it...drool worthy. It's either that or a hungi-a traditional Maori oven. Yum yum nom nom.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Electric. But we had a combo wood stove in the past. There are other alternatives. I would love electric and HHO. Or electric and cavitation devices.
edit on 28-10-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Though I use my electric stove, I prefer fire. Some of the best meals I've had were cooked in a pit or makeshift oven. It's a lot of work, and time consuming, but the taste and satisfaction make it worth it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join