It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REI to Close Stores on Black Friday

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

1) this is great news and I applaud their efforts, but then......
2) I still look forward to the animals trampling each other at Walmart on Black Friday. Pass the popcorn, let the games begin!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Good for them and on top they are giving the employees the day off with pay. Black Friday is the biggest bunch of bull ever dreamed up by corporate engineer's.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

The only times I've participated in Black Friday were when I worked in retail and the few times when I couldn't avoid it for one reason or another.

I certainly don't go Christmas shopping on that day. I think the most we ever do voluntarily to shop on Black Friday is to go grocery shopping because the family often holds Thanksgiving on the Saturday after it, but since no one is shopping at the grocery stores, I don't think that counts.

This year, my husband is going to be holding a gaming session at his friend's place, and I'll be hanging out at home. I might have some Thanksgiving food prep to do.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
You know, with "Cyber Monday" -- do we really need to be lining up and trampling one another?

Need to line up and trample people? Depends on what people I am lining up to trample. I can think of 535 off the top of my head I would fight to get to the head of the line to trample.

And re-trample.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Do you know where they're shopping this year, because I'd get up early and go to the store to participate in that!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I actually support this move. I have had enough of rampant consumerism.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Do you know where they're shopping this year, because I'd get up early and go to the store to participate in that!!!

SuperPAC-Mart.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Good for them. I detest Black Friday with every fiber of my being. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, and to have it cut short in a quest for cheap materialistic crap that none of us need really annoys me. I've gone Black Friday shopping exactly once in my life because a friend of mine needed to hold his place in multiple lines at once. It's an absolutely miserable experience that I never wish to repeat.

All things considered, Cyber Monday is a much more practical solution for those who still want the deals and to go shopping. You can do it at your leisure, no crowds, no cutting the holiday short, and no trampling each other.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
REI just got a new customer in me. I hate the black Friday mentality and the stores that perpetuate it. Think about it. The day after people give thanks for what they have they go out and display the worst traits of humanity for stuff they don't need.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Everyone laments consumerism while proclaiming their new found loyalty to a corporation.

And the irony goes unnoticed. Brilliant marketing indeed.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Everyone laments consumerism while proclaiming their new found loyalty to a corporation.

REI is a co-op and owned by the members (customers) and employees. It isn't run the same way a publicly traded company with shareholders is...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

REI is a co-op and owned by the members (customers) and employees. It isn't run the same way a publicly traded company with shareholders is...

So consumerism is a-ok if fomented under the "right business model"?

edit on 10/27/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I think the real fun here is all the people blaming the businesses for the consumerism.

If no one shopped on Black Friday, there wouldn't be any reason for the stores to be open. But because so many people are insatiable in their desire to shop, even on Thanksgiving now which is detestable, the stores will be open.

Short of a variation of Sunday laws which I'm sure many of the same people here would decry as a version of Theocracy, you cannot get the stores to close on Black Friday. The only other way is to blame the shoppers as much as the stores and try to change THEM, not the stores. Don't have a demand and there is no reason to be open.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good for REI, I have been a member for almost 20 years and they are a great outdoor company. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
A new trend maybe? Such a refreshing take on the madness. I hope other stores see this and go "Heyy! This is a great idea." My ex-girlfriend convinced me to go out on Black Friday, even after I had prior experience from working a store during that time; never again, I'm afraid to even ride my bicycle out around the county then.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
REI is an awesome outfitter.

Just went to a Garage Sale for them last month (member only sale where lightly used equipment is sold with huge discounts).

Got some new hiking shorts and trekking poles and paid 36% normal price for the whole deal.

Membership only costs $20 for a lifetime and it easily pays for itself.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
...lightly used equipment is sold with huge discounts).

Got some new hiking shorts...

Uh, were the shorts 'lightly used' too? If so, were they able to offer assurances that the light-user did not do commando lunges?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I don't take it quite that way. I read it more along the lines of, when I need a new item, I'll consider purchasing from them because they're not taking a gigantic sh-- on our traditions.

And honestly, as much as I dislike materialism, I really hope it works out well for them and that it makes them a whole bunch of money. There has been a growing movement for years now made up of people who are sick of Black Friday and it's great to see stores signing on to that. If it brings them success, that practice will continue.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cyber Monday is the answer. It's the same deals, sometimes even better deals, from the comfort of your home where you don't have to deal with a stampede of people.

If you want to shop and get the deals it is a much better way to do it. The experience is better, the convenience is better, you're not stuck standing in line at 4 am, and you can do it on your own terms such as while laying on your couch.

Other issues aside, Black Friday is an antiquated business practice.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
...lightly used equipment is sold with huge discounts).

Got some new hiking shorts...

Uh, were the shorts 'lightly used' too? If so, were they able to offer assurances that the light-user did not do commando lunges?

Unneccessary assurance if one has a washing machine.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join