It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I had the most vivid dream of my life yesterday after taking Melatonin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I started taking melatonin two weeks ago, I used to smoke pot daily and I quit about 30 days ago because I'm applying for jobs that do drug testing... I had alot of trouble getting to sleep since then and tried melatonin. It really didn't help me fall asleep but I kept taking it because I think it works over time. Anyways, yesterday I took 12mg of it and I had the most vivid dream I can remember. It felt more real than being awake. For the first time, I was completely aware I was in a dream but I was able to stay in it. I was literally in the future with flying cars above me and everything was so clear. I could move around and do pretty much anything. My eyesight is far from good but in this dream it felt like my vision was so perfect, it felt unreal, the colors were beautiful it felt like 4K HD.
Truly mind blowing.

Anyone had similar experience of knowing you're in a dream and being able to stay in it? Or had similar experience with Melatonin?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MrMaybeNot

Years ago, a close relative of mine took a few grams, just the usually prescribed dose (I think it was 3 grams), for the first time in her life. I don't know if it helped her sleep, but she saw the room through her closed eyelids.
Not only that, but she - a person with considerable astigmatism and not a little myopic - saw it as clearly as if she had the most perfect eyesight imaginable.
I think she even described her experience on this site, but that must have been years ago.

As far as I know she never experienced it again after that first time.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I had dreams like this every night as a kid. Less so as a teen. Now it's on and off. Depends on a lot of factors, but sometimes I'll get stretches of 2-3 weeks straight of crazy intense lucid dreams nightly.

I had a vial of epitalon last month and that was bonkers. 90 minute cycles of insanity several times a nite. Going for another round in January.

Wouldn't mess with straight melatonin, though. You already jacked up your homeostasis on the hypothalamus pituitary axis. It can take a couple of years to balance that back out naturally.
edit on 21-10-2015 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I take melatonin regularly only up to 6mg of it though, my doctor told me it works best if you take it every other night. Melatonin has never effected whether I have vivid dreams, perhaps that has to do with how much melatonin one's brain produces naturally. Like if you keep bright lights on before trying to wind down, the brain doesn't produce enough naturally.
Vivid dreams are sporadic for me and it usually has to do with getting uninterrupted quality rest. After a vivid dream, I feel more refreshed and bright eyed than usual.
I believe with every supplement, you should take breaks from it and try to get it naturally as I believe our body are meant to operate its own healing through eating right exercise , ect..

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I used to smoke pot daily and I quit about 30 days ago

There's your reason for more vivid dreams, the melatonin probably enhanced it a little.

Pot or hashish often kill dreaming, only for the dreams to explode when people stop smoking, or take a break.

I too used to take melatonin for some years.

edit on 22-10-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Never taken melatonin but I had a rash on the back of my neck once and I used an antibiotic triple ointment cream on it before I went to bed. Had the most vivid dreams ever. I always wondered if it was because that is where the cerebellum is?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Melatonin helps me dream too its true. I have some great dreams vivid colors ect.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I powder down the pills and take the powder with water.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Pestle and mortar work great

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

I used to smoke pot daily and I quit about 30 days ago

There's your reason for more vivid dreams, the melatonin probably enhanced it a little.

Pot or hashish often kill dreaming, only for the dreams to explode when people stop smoking, or take a break.

I too used to take melatonin for some years.

I agree with this. I Quit many months ago and had the same experiences, really vivid dreams that I remembered and still do. When I used to smoke I hardly ever used to dream or remember them. Never tried melatonin. I vaguely remember reading about it, but was that a dream or.....?
Errr...What were we talking about?

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I find doing a second sleep is conducive to lucid dreams. Set an alarm to wake up after about 4 hours of sleep.
Get up and do something for a couple of hours, then go back to sleep.
Make a habit of remembering your dreams immediately upon awakening.
They will fade away very quickly.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Some time back, I was having issues adapting between day and night work schedules, so I grabbed a bottle of melatonin and took it for a few days. Curious about it, I started doing a little research on it after some weird side effects I was having.

For me: (3mg pills)
- Worked best when I took about 1/4 of the 3mg pill and crushed it up before ingesting it.
- When I crushed it, it always seemed to work extremely fast.
- Did not make me feel tired, it just made me very calm and it was easier to just drift into sleep by closing my eyes.
- Even while awake, it made me feel like I was on the border of REM dreaming/daydreaming while soothed.

Side Effects:
- Would always wake me in the middle of the night, afraid and feeling a weird feeling of doom, no matter how little I took.
- These feelings never happened with a "bad dream". I would just wake up and feel weird like my spirit was always on the verge of leaving my body and that I may die at any moment. I would check my pulse and weird myself out for a bit, but then it seemed harder to fall asleep, likely due to all the anxiety I was feeling. Fight/Flight mode was definitely kicked in. About half an hour to an hour later, I could fall asleep just fine.
- Usually made it harder for me to wake in the morning, like I hadn't slept.

My Research:
- The mg amount in a pill is FAR FAR FAR greater than your body naturally produces while you sleep.
- This is something that's produced while you're already asleep.
- If you take upwards to around 12mg or more, your dream state will likely change. (Lucid Dreams)
- You apparently CANT overdose on it.
- Cancer patients are given around 85mg and much higher as it seems to help with cancer treatments while using chemo. Apparently in conjunction with chemo, it's been found to work best against fighting cancer.
- It's not good to take it more than a few weeks or it could mess with your hormones and cause depression.
- Works best when used for a couple of days to assist you to sleep, but never meant to be alternative to sleep aids since it doesn't actually put you to sleep.
- Effectiveness depends on the quality.
- Many store brands have poor quality and some have little to no melatonin in them. (Lots of fakes out there)
- The mg on the bottle isn't an accurate judgment of what's in the bottle.
- You're better off going with a well known trustworthy brand than anything.
- Some melatonin is made with plants and others with pig brain parts and so forth. Never know what you're gonna get.

Hope this offered some insight. You should really look up anything and everything you're taking. There are more side effects to this stuff. It's not even a proven effective supplement and could actually be harmful to you.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

If you want extremely vivid dreams, buy some Guayusa tea (it's also known as the night watchman) You will smell smells in your dreams and you will be able to feel the texture of objects it your dreams, it is amazing, and it is good for you as well.
If you try it, drink and the tea in mid afternoon, not before sleep. Let me know how you like it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
that sounds awesome, I never had something so vivid.

I have them in pills of 10mg and it works great you can fall asleep like a baby, I don't really get that many vivid dreams when I take it but maybe its the dosage who knows, I took like 7 pills once to see if it might give a really nice lucid dream but didn't get any that are very vivid.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I think you're right, I read thc has a big impact on REM sleep and I didn't recall any dreams when I used it before sleep.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fireflysky

If you want extremely vivid dreams, buy some Guayusa tea (it's also known as the night watchman) You will smell smells in your dreams and you will be able to feel the texture of objects it your dreams, it is amazing, and it is good for you as well.
If you try it, drink and the tea in mid afternoon, not before sleep. Let me know how you like it.

Sounds interesting I'll try it for sure and let you know

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Thanks for this, you're not the first to tell me its not good on the long term and I agree 12mg might be overkill, I don't want to mess with the natural production of my pineal gland!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The older I get the more vivid and interesting my dreams are. In fact, I find myself solving problems in dreams that I have woken up impressed with. Once I dreamed that the atmosphere was thinning and it was difficult to breathe. I was walking through hallways in a high rise and grabbed some empty 2-liter bottles out of a recycling bin and sucked the oxygen out of them to keep moving.

If I am aware I am dreaming, it's usually a more frightening dream.

I hope it's not off-topic to say that I think dreams must be very important or else we would have evolved out of them. Instead we evolved into dreaming beings.

Perhaps dreams are practice for how it will be when we no longer exist in space, but only exist as a collection of ideas, thoughts, observations, and emotions in time?

Regardless, I am very curious now about melatonin's effects on dreams.

S&Fs!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Like other have said, try to not take 12mg of Melatonin. My doctor told me any more that 1 mg was overkill.

My most vivid dreaming happen when I took Lunesta. They were really out there and after a few weeks on it I got angry when waking up from these dreams because I wanted to be back there and was not happy in the "Real" world.

Had to stop because of that.

Sirric

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fireflysky

If you want extremely vivid dreams, buy some Guayusa tea (it's also known as the night watchman)

Oh snap I've got a 2oz sample pouch of that lying around haven't gotten around to it yet. Going to take it after I see my PO today.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join