It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biologist takes first ever picture with ultra rare bird, then kills it ‘for science’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+50 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
What a jackass (in my opinion). A bird so rare that this is the first (and maybe the last) photo of one and he freeking kills it and dissects it.

Just look at that magnificent bird!

www.zmescience.com...

For the past two weeks the scientific community was stirred by news that a biologist captured a male mustached kingfisher, took the first ever picture of a male from the species...... then killed the bird shortly after!

Chris Filardi, director of Pacific Programs at the American Museum of Natural History, was out in the Solomon Islands with other researchers surveying bird species. Eventually, Filardy heard the unmistakable call of the kingfisher, a bird so rare it’s often called ‘the ghost’. Seeing how this was the first male kingfisher reported by a scientist, Filardy reasoned that it was acceptable to dissect the animal.

edit on 12-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What an evil man. Killing the only bird of it's species alive on the planet that we know of. Just like a Human!

edit on 10/12/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I'm speechless! What would possess someone to do that? What possible justification can be given? Ditto, evil indeed!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I read this article a while ago elsewhere, and didn't have the
heart to even try an OP: there was a stake clean through it.
I have a dove ( more likely he has me) and can't even imagine
what kind of detached creature could get this clinical.
Yup the little guy was handsome, maybe loveable. No wonder...

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   

What a jagoff. May he be pecked to shreds by a flock of vultures for his cruelty. In the name of bird science, of course.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I saw this and it made me sick. I wish this was an arrestable offense, and I'm not sure why it wouldn't be since last week I read about a person visiting the US who played with and rode a sea turtle and was arrested for doing so and also shamed on social media.

Source - Sea Turtle Arrest

Notice I said she played with and rode it, not murdered it!

That poor bird, so friendly, sitting so nicely on that man's hand not knowing he was a murderer. Birds are smart.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I feel sick, sad and mad. What point is there in killing this cutie that sang songs to his bird family and friends?! They could learn from observations, bird poo and when one naturally dies they could take that one. The scientist that did this should be fined or have his credentials taken away!
edit on 12-10-2015 by peppycat because: changed thought

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

People keep telling me humans are not disgusting!

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The guy may be a biologist, but he’s also a mental case.

For some reason this story reminded me of something I saw on TV a few years back. It was a documentary about an exotic wildlife hunting preserve, where the animals roamed freely as open targets for hunters who wanted to bag exotic/endangered trophys. It was sickening. One of the “events” in the video involved a guy packing a high powered rifle, with a couple other guys along to videotape the heroic event. In the distance appears a beautiful white bengal tiger walking along with no awareness of the “Big Game Hunter”, who was carefully, silently getting a bead on him/her. Then POP, and you can see the tiger has been shot, but not killed. It tries to hobble away from the danger, and is obviously hurt badly. Then a second later, another POP, and the tiger goes down. Next you see this psychotic SOB standing with one foot on the dead tiger, holding his rifle proudly for a well deserved photo op. What a man!!

To make a sick, stomach-turning situation even sicker, it turns out the brave hunter was a veterinarian! Go figure!!

The biologist in this thread sounds like a real self-serving sociopath. I wish the American Museum of Natural History would fire his sorry ass. Also, I think he should be arrested. However, I’m sure none of that will take place.

PS: Seaworthy, don't listen to them...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

you might have been lied to... imagine that. so on topic whats wrong with bringing that bird in for analysis so theres just a small issue of it being that rare but it was finally caught then killed now they can let everyone know its bird and looks one on the inside too. now just saying im being sarcastic however if that is the last one which isnt likely its not like we as a human species haven't killed or drove other species into extinction before

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

There was litterally no reason to do this from a scientific stand point except to study stomach content's as a small blood and tissue sample for dna analysis would have sufficed, he could then have released this animal back into the wild and it would have been somewhat wiser to avoid idiot's like him in future.

I suspect most of his colleagues will be utterly appalled at this idiotic and unscientific behaviour not to mention that if the animal is endangered then the solomin islands government may have grounds to launch a prosecution, indeed if the animal fall's into the endangered species catagory then there are several international body's whom may very well likely do so as this was not a case of natural hunting but a supposedly educated man acting recklessly with deliberate abandon and cruel behaviour toward this species, for example we do not know it's mating habit or it's population base which is apparently very small, it may be like some avien species one that mates for life meaning that it's mate may well now remain chickless as a result.

Cruel, Idiotic and utterly unscientific.
What an utter disgrace to the scientific community and what a total and utter prat, the david cameron of science whom will probably claim he saved his profession next.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

There was litterally no reason to do this from a scientific stand point except to study stomach content's as a small blood and tissue sample for dna analysis would have sufficed, he could then have released this animal back into the wild and it would have been somewhat wiser to avoid idiot's like him in future.

I suspect most of his colleagues will be utterly appalled at this idiotic and unscientific behaviour not to mention that if the animal is endangered then the solomin islands government may have grounds to launch a prosecution, indeed if the animal fall's into the endangered species catagory then there are several international body's whom may very well likely do so as this was not a case of natural hunting but a supposedly educated man acting recklessly with deliberate abandon and cruel behaviour toward this species, for example we do not know it's mating habit or it's population base which is apparently very small, it may be like some avien species one that mates for life meaning that it's mate may well now remain chickless as a result.

Cruel, Idiotic and utterly unscientific.
What an utter disgrace to the scientific community and what a total and utter prat, the david cameron of science whom will probably claim he saved his profession next.

If he did that he could have even tagged it. You know the saying, "Birds of a feather flock together!" Possibly even found a nest or community of these rare and beautiful birds for a more complete study.
edit on 13-10-2015 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
dont hate the player...........im sure he will be applauded by his peers......thats science for ya.
Definately not what most people would have done.
Poor bird.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
another article i found
me and Stupid are first cousins

Yet the scientist, who has been on the look-out for the bird for more than 20 years, maintains that taking one individual from a population will have important future benefits. These include accurate recording of the bird's features and any human impact on the birds' survival.

and just above that he goes on to say that they are fairly common for that area...but still it took him 20 years to find one.
sounds like a big jerk to me

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

This just cant be true. Monster for a person.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Sadly the same will happen to the first sasquatch that is cornered , or comes into someone's crosshairs .

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
If this Scientist just so 'happened' to get captured and dissected by one of the legendary Moo-Moo's of the Solomon Islands', how many would miss him?

I sure wouldn't.

It's true what they say about Karma you know...

According to Marius Boirayon, there is a village hut on Malaita island that is supported by an 8 feet long human femur bone.

I almost forgot, isn't Solomon Islands also home to the live pterodactyls?

Would love to see em' try to dissect one of those bad boys...

edit on 13-10-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Already posted

ATS Post

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Save Animals, Kill Humans!

Please if any aliens can here me,
kill off the human race...

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Don't worry in the land of karma his car gets fire bombed by bird poop the rest of his life, then in his next life he comes back as a worm and that very same species of bird will eat him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join