It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reviving Old Threads, with a "Now Trending" Forum

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Many great topics have been discussed on ATS. And I think a lot of us come here not just to learn but also for the conversation and debate. And Ive noticed from time to time that these great topics come up again and someone makes a new thread and instantly they are shut down, and directed to the old thread. Im not against that, because we dont want a bunch of threads on the same subject.

So, I am wondering if there could be a forum for "old topics" now "trending". Or a place to bump up an old topic to see if anyone wants to talk about it more? I know for me personally, I sometimes want to rehash or listen to new ideas, or even want to debate these old threads further, but there isnt much conversation because members arent seeing the revival of the old thread. In my opinion, it would be great to have a section that shows new activity on old threads, I think it would open further discussion on various topics, that seem to be "closed" because no one sees the new conversation. Often when I have responded to an old thread, its like Im talking to the air, no one is listening.

If there is a forum for old topics getting new attention, please direct me to it. Thanks

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Being new to ATS, I would welcome this idea to fruition.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I agree with you that there is some amazing content from years ago that deserves reading.

The easiest way is to go to our Forums Page

Select the forum you'd like to see content from and on the next page you can sort the entire forum by flags or number or replies.

Most of the really gold stuff have tons of either. I found that was a good way to really dig into the meat and potatoes of ATS.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I have wondered the same. Threads come and go so quickly sometimes however some cover really important topics. You are right, there should be a better way to revive old threads.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

That is how I use ATS, but I was focusing on, reviving old threads for continuing conversation.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm one that's not too keen on the having to add to aging old threads. I think even if new posts are added, people see the date of the original thread and scroll past, unless theyre in the mood for a long browse

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I have often thought the same. So much brilliant research just waiting to be discussed again, or, for the first time in years.

A special tag or button for those "classic" or forgotten threads would be awesome.

Great idea!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just speaking from my own experiences... One of my favorite pastimes on ATS is waiting for the main page to quiet down so that boredom can lead me into digging through the endless old threads, hunting for the proverbial diamonds in the rough.

It's kind of fun, almost like a game. And when you do find a really awesome, long forgotten or lost thread, you can simply bump it and, usually, that will bring it back to life for a period of time as others get to enjoy it as well.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

So how do we bump the thread? Im not the brightest bulb in the box.
edit on 27-9-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Just post a reply to it and it will recycle to the top of the recent posts page.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
See on the sides here with the twitter thing. I would like to see a constant feed of those "most flagged" threads from the forums....say each week ATS management choose a forum then feed into the sides here the top 50 most flagged threads.

I have just caught some absolute treasures by being on the live page at the same time someone has posted in an old thread and bumped it onto the live page

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

If you click on the "Live" button on

It should take you to this page

Old threads get bumped up on there in the recent column all the time.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Thank you, and Heff too. I think this will change my whole ATS experience!! Awesome!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Gawd never pressed the Live button....thought it was for like live on the air radio broadcasts or something!

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Think of an old thread from say 5 years ago. That thread prob. stimulated more threads like it, moving the topic and particulars along. Some wont even remember it, others will be glad it was brought up and to their attention.

But as stated...one can always go the FORUMS of their favorite subjects and go down the line. I see the basic premise of your idea kind of like asking Jay Leno to come back to the Tonight Show. Why?

Its moved on...and time goes forward. Those threads are already there, and when one's interest moves them, they can always be located...unless of course something new regarding an old thread comes up to add.

I know I as a long time member, if I saw an old thread pop up again...I'd scan it and move on without bothering. And I dont think I'm alone in that opinion with regards to most members who've been here awhile.

PS And I dont beleive it in any way would become a "NOW TRENDING" thread, while in essence being just an older existing thread.
edit on 27-9-2015 by mysterioustranger because: splg

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
careful it might spill the beans on the history repeats itself aspect of our reality

kinda sad sometimes to look at old thread and lost members

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Great idea, updating topics would be an eye opener.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I did intend to post a full thread on this topic (and the numerous comments on how ATS used to be great back in 2005 or 2007 or whenever). But I've never really got round to collecting my thoughts altogether properly on it. So I may as well put out what I have got so far.

Why do people first come to Above Top Secret?

I would say it's to read about and perhaps then participate in discussions on what you would call the "Classic" conspiracy/mysterious cases of the past. Also many long term members get nostalgic about the past and these "Classic" posts of months and years gone by suggesting some way of restoring them to their former glories.

So this subject comes up quite often and is not without merit. But it seems to always hit a stumbling block as to how it should be achieved.

It tends to get discussed and then dismissed because:

a) You can if you wish search for and 'bump' an old thread by posting in it. But I don't think people find this satisfactory as an answer because everyone knows that this is unlikely to breathe much new life into an old thread. So it fades away again within a day if not a few hours.

b) You can use the 'sort' feature by most flagged or most posted in threads in your specific forum. Again it's not really satisfactory. Some of the old classic threads were not highly flagged because they were created before the system came in. Also if I want to find something specific on say 'The Phoenix Lights' then there is no guarantee that will feature in the most flagged list.

c) There seems no clear idea as to the method for choosing which "classic ATS posts" should be promoted. Who would choose them? How do they go about rating them and how are they promoted on ATS?

So here are a few suggestions to throw out there that may or may not work.

* Create an "Above Top Secret Magazine" in pdf format featuring some of these classic threads? I am talking about something like the free "Phenomena" magazine. We have a lot of people with graphic skills and a number of 'experts' in certain topics. I am thinking that each magazine would fulfil one topic like "Bigfoot", "UFOs", "Area 51"or "9/11" and the members would contribute to it rather than periodical based publication. Perhaps it could even carry advertising to help raise funds? A pdf can be created by anyone with cheap software so it's not necessarily costly.

I really don't know how workable that idea is I'm just throwing it out there. The illustration is just to capture your imaginations by the way.

* Add an "ATS nostalgia" page where the top topics of last year, 5 years and 10 years ago are featured. The current archive is available but do many people actually use it?

* Or maybe an ATS Classic page featuring the core topics that ATS was based around.

Again I'm not suggesting this is what it should look like just something to help visualise it.

What I am suggesting here is that we have a place where specific 'classic' threads are added. Once again I think the staff and members could nominate which threads are added. Members who contribute most by way of flags or 'applause' received could also be allowed to nominate which threads are added to these sections.

Like I said before I have never really collected my thoughts on these ideas and so they may need expanding on or are perhaps not be viable. But I've at least put them out there now. I hope others have an opinion, positive or negative on these ideas.

posted on Sep, 27 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Those are really great ideas.

I know the ATS guys are already working hard at keeping up with the current blog, and some things may be a lot to add, but I would welcome your ideas. I kinda think the newbees like me would really enjoy the "golden ATS oldies".

Great graphics by the way!!
edit on 27-9-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

The easiest way is to go to our Forums Page

Select the forum you'd like to see content from and on the next page you can sort the entire forum by flags or number or replies.

Most of the really gold stuff have tons of either. I found that was a good way to really dig into the meat and potatoes of ATS.

But what if we want to add new info to an old thread and not just read it? If the thread is old, people won't see anything new has been added to it...it's searchable but does not get republished as "new" on the site. I had this happen to me on one of my old threads from years ago...people had commented and several had asked questions but I never saw them because there are no notifications telling us when old threads have new replies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join