It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is NOT a Christian nation, but is a nation built on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think this is a fact that is lost among many and needs a new topic to end the debate once and for all.

The Founding Fathers and the documents and laws on which the United States founded was upon the teachings of Jesus Christ (Yeshua) and thusly his morality which was based upon the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament. However, Jesus created a new covenant and laid out the ideas for conscious morality rather than relying on a stone tablet to create laws and ethics, but that is discussion for another topic.

With that said the "Christian religion" was not created by Jesus, but was done so by Paul; a man who interpreted Yeshua's teaching in a way which suited himself and (allegedly) the Roman government he was aiding at the time. Paul's skewed teachings and interpretations of a man he never even met was what led to the incorporated hierarchical (and wrong) structure of the Christian religion which we all know today.

This is why you may find many quotes from Founding Fathers, documents, and later politicians denouncing that the United States was being based on Christianity, but you will never see a quote denouncing that it was based on the teachings of Jesus. Even Thomas Jefferson, who many people quote in the debate, wrote his own Bible translation, demystifying Jesus and spreading his word. The country, in essence was founded by Freemasons, a group which never saw eye to eye with the Church and which has forever in its existence claimed the divinity and prophet-hood of Jesus and the Christ within all of us, the same teachings that Jesus himself taught.

So yes, America is NOT a Christian nation and the Founding Fathers did all in their power to separate themselves from the atrocities and history of power and control that the Church had over the world. But there is not a shred of evidence in existence that states that the United States was not founded, built upon, and grew with the teachings of Jesus in mind.
edit on 9 24 15 by TheNewRevolution because: spelling

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It's true, it's true,

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNewRevolution

Yes,

The entire idea was to get the Power of Rome "The Church" out of being a ruling power in the new government. NOT to get rid of God but the Tyranny of "The Church" and it's Monarchy systems.

It is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand. The only foundation of a free constitution is pure virtue.

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. . . . Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If "Thou shalt not covet," and "Thou shalt not steal," were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society, before it can be civilized or made free.
John Adams

Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.
Samuel Adams

Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime & pure, [and] which denounces against the wicked eternal misery, and [which] insured to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments.
Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.

I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that "except the Lord build the House, they labor in vain that build it." I firmly believe this; and I also believe that without His concurring aid we shall succeed in this political building no better, than the Builders of Babel: We shall be divided by our partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and bye word down to future ages. And what is worse, mankind may hereafter from this unfortunate instance, despair of establishing governments by human wisdom and leave it to chance, war and conquest.

I therefore beg leave to move that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessings on our deliberations be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service.

Benjamin Franklin

To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. . . . Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present republican forms of government, and all blessings which flow from them, must fall with them.
Jedediah Morse

No free government now exists in the world, unless where Christianity is acknowledged, and is the religion of the country.
Pennsylvania Supreme Court

The only foundation for a useful education in a republic is to be laid in religion. Without this there can be no virtue, and without virtue there can be no liberty, and liberty is the object and life of all republican governments.
Benjamin Rush
edit on 24-9-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This country has been heavily influenced by Christianity.

Complete with Preachers/Politicians trying to proselytize the masses trying to convert the masses, andtaking up the collection plate(taxes)

Faith in a divine being(the STATE) warfare like the church. Rules like the church.

People really do need to wrap there heads around there is NO difference between the church and state today.

New Boss same as the old boss. New boss is just 'cooler'.
edit on 24-9-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm not going to deny that there are Christian influences in our country. That has to be a given since the country was founded by primarily Christians. Naturally, they'd interject the less religious parts of their faith into the government. I just don't agree with anyone who tries to say that it is a Christian nation.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Don't forget that many of our forefathers and their direct ancestors, left England to get away from the power of the Church and what they saw as corruption within it.

They wanted a separation of Church and State. George Washington was never seen talking about the virtues of Christianity or how this was a Christian nation. He kept his religious beliefs private and to himself so as to not offend and to keep the separation of Church and state. He kept his religion so private that many to this day doubt he was a Christian at all. Research him and read some of the books about him.

Thomas Jefferson famously cut and paste his own bible so as to keep out all the supernatural "Mumbo Jumbo" ..my term not his. LOL So that he could abide by the Christian principles of Morality but without all of the Paranormal stuff.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Except when it comes to the pope pushing political agendas.

Then by GOD we are a 'Christian' nation!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Except when it comes to the pope pushing political agendas.

Then by GOD we are a 'Christian' nation!

No...How is talking about a real world issue the same as pushing a political agenda? If i'm head of a church and I see corruption in corporations or pollution or laws that favor the rich over the poor and I speak out against it...how does that make me political? It doesn't it makes me a human being trying to do the right thing.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Um... no... I've never said that about the pope either. You know, when I celebrate a positive thing that a Christian leader said in our country, it doesn't mean I'm endorsing a Christian nation. So stop that nonsense right in its tracks neo. You are 100% wrong here about my opinions and beliefs.

Or is it impossible for you to reconcile that MAYBE I don't hate Christians and only disagree with the idiotic rhetoric the Christian right likes to put out all the time?
edit on 24-9-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheNewRevolution
The Founding Fathers and the documents and laws on which the United States founded was upon the teachings of Jesus Christ (Yeshua) and thusly his morality which was based upon the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament.

Which laws were those?

The country, in essence was founded by Freemasons, a group which never saw eye to eye with the Church and which has forever in its existence claimed the divinity and prophet-hood of Jesus and the Christ within all of us, the same teachings that Jesus himself taught.

First, the majority were not Masons. Second, there is nothing in Masonic teachings that 'claimed the divinity and prophet-hood of Jesus and the Christ within all of us', I am not sure were you are getting that from.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

a reply to: amazing

Rather odd for a so called 'secular' nation to be hanging on every word of the Pios Pope.

Now isn't it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Rather odd for a so called 'secular' nation to be hanging on every word of the Pios Pope.

Now isn't it.

No... It's not like the pope has any authority here. Every thing he said is just words. It isn't a requirement to listen to him nor does it hold any legal weight with our leaders. He's a man who hold a lot of sway over many Christians in this nation. He said some inspiring things that resonate with more than just Catholics. He should be commended for that. That's all there is. You are trying to interject more into the debate than exists so you can paint your usual, absurd strawmans about me.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

At both the federal and state levels, the law of the United States is largely derived from the common law system of Christian English law, which was in force at the time of the Revolutionary War. The common law tradition emerged in Christian England while the Civil Law developed in Christian Continental Europe.

www.law.berkeley.edu...

Historical Development of Civil Law

The term civil law derives from the Latin ius civile, the law applicable to all Roman cives or citizens. Its origins and model are to be found in the monumental compilation of Roman law commissioned by the Emperor Justinian in the sixth century CE.

Historical development of English Common Law

English common law emerged from the changing and centralizing powers of the king during the Middle Ages. After the Norman Conquest in 1066, medieval kings began to consolidate power and establish new institutions of royal authority and justice. New forms of legal action established by the crown functioned through a system of writs, or royal orders, each of which provided a specific remedy for a specific wrong.

Courts of law and courts of equity thus functioned separately until the writs system was abolished in the mid-nineteenth century. Even today, however, some U.S. states maintain separate courts of equity. Likewise, certain kinds of writs, such as warrants and subpoenas, still exist in the modern practice of common law. An example is the writ of habeas corpus, which protects the individual from unlawful detention. Originally an order from the king obtained by a prisoner or on his behalf, a writ of habeas corpus summoned the prisoner to court to determine whether he was being detained under lawful authority. Habeas corpus developed during the same period that produced the 1215 Magna Carta, or Great Charter, which declared certain individual liberties, one of the most famous being that a freeman could not be imprisoned or punished without the judgment of his peers under the law of the land—thus establishing the right to a jury trial.

ancienthistory.about.com...

Justinian was a Christian emperor of the Roman Empire on the cusp between Antiquity and the Middle Ages. History remembers Emperor Justinian for his reorganization of the government of the Roman Empire and his codification of the laws, the Codex Justinianus, in A.D. 534.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

No... It's not like the pope has any authority here. Every thing he said is just words. It

Well now that was funny considering how quite a few people on here were acting like he was the second coming.

Since he agrees with the progressive agenda.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

The common law tradition emerged in Christian England while the Civil Law developed in Christian Continental Europe.

Just because it is partially based on English Common law which arose in 'Christian England' does not make it Christian law as your source explains.

I asked for specific Christian laws.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Have you been hearing the news recently ? Have you seen the reactions of some of the politicians? Did you not see Boehner weep like a die-hard fan at a Michael Jackson concert?

The signs are there. They don't need to confirm; their body languages and actions confirm it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

If your asking for direct "Old Testament" implementation of law, I don't think any nation has had that for at least 2,000 years.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Now isn't it.

Nope. In the Army, in Business, as an elected official, as head of a family..I listen to all kinds of people and talk to all kinds of people. If they are right, I can agree with them. If my pool repair guy is a Christian and tells me I need to replace a valve. I don't ignore what he says just because he's a Christian. LOL

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Does it offend you that a Christian is asking Christians to behave like a Christian?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
If your asking for direct "Old Testament" implementation of law, I don't think any nation has had that for at least 2,000 years.

The Old Testament is not Christian.

How about this, are there any laws that are based on Christianity?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join