It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists smash distance record for quantum teleportation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There have been other threads on the progress in quantum encryption, but it seems there has been a major breakthrough.
Scientists have been able to "teleport" photons through fiber optic cables with the ability to provide an encryption key that can never be compromised. Heady stuff. The new record is 60 miles. If this proves sustainable and certainly scalable, it will be a whole new era for networking.

Scie ntists smash distance record for quantum teleportation

Physicists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) have broken the quantum teleportation record in a big way. In a paper published this week in Optica, they report successfully transferring information from one photon to another across over 60 miles of fiber-optic cable -- four times the distance of the previous record.

I am so amazed at the discoveries and breakthroughs currently going on in the quantum arena. Proving these theories opens up all of the other incredible revelations of quantum mechanics
edit on 23-9-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 23-9-2015 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2015 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That explains "berenstain" bears" Vs Bernstein bears" Hell if you don't believe the whole "Berenstein" Thing just type berenstain and see the red underline text wanting you to correct it? That speaks volumes to me.
edit on 9/23/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: proob4

Hell,

Mirror, Mirror on the wall was even bigger.

Snow White was a much more popular story.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Yea that seems a paradox to me as well.
How could it have gone unnoticed all of those years is way outside the bell curve.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Note that it is not FTL. But it is the methodology to get there. The time slicing to inject a photon takes time. The method uses 3 photons, two of which are entangled.
But, the time it takes an entangled photon to take on the state of the destroyed photon is instantanious. It is only FTL in that instance. Mind boggling stuff.
edit on 23-9-2015 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: proob4
That explains "berenstain" bears" Vs Bernstein bears" Hell if you don't believe the whole "Berenstein" Thing just type berenstain and see the red underline text wanting you to correct it? That speaks volumes to me.
spell checking software is usually rubbish anyway. try typing antiproton and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: proob4

I don't care what the nutjobs say, it WAS " Bernstein "

I want my old universe back!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Hell,

Mirror, Mirror on the wall was even bigger.

Snow White was a much more popular story.

Can you elaborate on this, I'm not familiar with it.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

What does this actually mean?

what practical uses?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
No beagles were reported missing.
*whew*

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

what practical uses?

Many, it could actually lead to FTL communication in the distant future, but here and now it can lead to quantum computers.

Meaning that a postal stamp sized computer can be thousands of times faster than the zetabyte NSA processor in Utah that takes up a giant building.

It is the future in action.

Not including the fact quantum entanglement is just freaking cool!!

Because it proves there is another " dimension " that all matter " talks" to all other matter through.

Because no time is required, no matter the distance, for entangled matter to communicate with its entangled partner.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: combatmaster

what practical uses?

Many, it could actually lead to FTL communication in the distant future, but here and now it can lead to quantum computers.

Meaning that a postal stamp sized computer can be thousands of times faster than the zetabyte NSA processor in Utah that takes up a giant building.

It is the future in action.

Not including the fact quantum entanglement is just freaking cool!!

Because it proves there is another " dimension " that all matter " talks" to all other matter through.

Because no time is required, no matter the distance, for entangled matter to communicate with its entangled partner.

Actually I dont think it means any of that. I think it means we can now encrypt information in a way that it can not be hacked.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Nah, quantum computers don't have to be 60 miles across.

What this can lead to is an encryption system that's secure enough to prevent NSA spying (or anybody else), as charlyv correctly stated in the OP: "to provide an encryption key that can never be compromised"

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Actually I dont think it means any of that. I think it means we can now encrypt information in a way that it can not be hacked.
Exactly.

edit on 2015924 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

Nah, quantum computers don't have to be 60 miles across.

What this can lead to is an encryption system that's secure enough to prevent NSA spying (or anybody else), as charlyv correctly stated in the OP: "to provide an encryption key that can never be compromised"

Exactly.

In his defense FTL communication is a whole lot sexier.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

Taken to its logical conclusion an instantaneous mode of communication where distance is not an issue.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

In his defense FTL communication is a whole lot sexier.
I agree that's sexier.

I don't think it will ever happen, but I'd love to be proven wrong in this case.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
The lady-friend jokingly said last night, "all this stain/Stein, mirror mirror/magic mirror stuff is simply a result of us messing around on the quantum level". Now I wake up to this... Maybe she nailed it?

I have an eerie feeling we may be experimenting a bit hastily with quantum mechanics...

That being said, I think it's way friggin cool. Just don't want to see it come back to bite us.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

It wasn't....

I googled every year since the inception of google.... nothing resembling 'stein'... its all 'stain'!

What is this conspiracy saying that the universe changed itself? This is a good example of why conspiracy theorist are seen as crazy....

dont get me wrong.... i WISH this were truly a matrix like universe and maybe it is, but this berenstain thing is just reaching imho...

unless you can point to proof

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
Based off what I saw on a documentary on the BBC, he is correct. They believe that quantum processors use another dimension to calculate, and time has little relevance when computing binary. Everything he has stated is theoretical, but correct to current theory's.

Just had to say because based of what he said her saw the shame documentary by professor cox.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join