It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I know it's a CT site but is anyone else interested in the Pope's visit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
As a quasi-Catholic and a CTer, I'm torn. On the one hand I'm super excited, on the other super curious and slightly skeptical. The timing is kind of crazy with all the Doom predictions.

I just am really interested in what he has to say to the flock. So many controversial issues in the world today. And so hard to reconcile moral with cultural issues. I just hope he touches hearts and inspires.

edit on 9/23/2015 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Deleted by member's phone!

Darn! Next.....!

Apologies all around!

edit on 23-9-2015 by mysterioustranger because: bic

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I'm watching it live right now. I am not catholic but I like this Pope a lot. He seems to practice what he preaches more so than some before him. He's made himself a Pope of the people as well.

Like you... I am watching with some tension in hopes that nothing happens tragedy wise and I do feel like he will give a hopeful message to the people. There will be those who will pick apart every word he says regardless of what he says of course.

I just like the cut of his jib.

edit on 9/23/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I blame my phone. And September 23 doom.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
As a Recovering Catholic, I can't help myself and am watching him on tv. My family went to see JP2 in a mass when we were kids, so its probably one of those things from our childhood that trigger something when we are older.

Besides I like the guy .

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
There was a thread earlier about his visit. Pope Francis brings tough love... Francis is a very interesting man. This visit should turn out to be interesting, in more ways than one.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Exactly.

Pope Francis was inspired to choose his name by St. Francis of Assisi. Here is his prayer, which is my favorite.

The Prayer of Saint Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

Very timely and hopeful words in a world of war, social strife, poverty etc.

We have some members who really know a lot about the Papacy, really hoping they will chime in.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I'm going to copy/paste a reply I posted on another thread a few moments ago....

My two cents....

I'm Catholic. I wasn't raised in any particular religion and found my way to the Catholic Church on my own as an adult (and was baptized during Easter Vigil 2011). We (my family and I) attend Mass on Sundays, but I will say that I don't necessarily buy everything the church is selling, so to speak.

All I can say about Pope Francis, or perhaps it's more accurate to say the only way I can rationalize the existence of his papacy, is to view it as a test of my faith.

I will add that I'm sad (to put it mildly) that he has chosen to follow the path of a political figure rather than a spiritual one.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I'm really touched and inspired by the number of kids and teens in the crowd. Not every tween/teen is into Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Catholics are the largest religious denomination in the U.S.

Disaffected Catholics are the second.

So, you are not alone. Several, including me, in this thread alone. I honestly cherry pick what works for me and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Not going to disagree with you.

I do however question how many of them are there out of respect for the position of the Pope vs there to see a celebrity. (Sorry, I've just grown cynical over the years).

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Yeah, we offer our kids sexualized media as entertainment, it is nice to see there are young people getting a message from somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

How did I miss that.

Ah well, maybe this thread can serve as the rubber-necking thread for the Papal visit.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Yeah Im loving the Fiat

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

It was hilarious - this grand song for a grand entrance, then the Holy Father toodles up in a Fiat. LoLz!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

the conspiracy theorist in me thought
:

"peoples princes = fiat crash in a tunnel"

"Peoples pope = fiat, well it is doomsday right?"

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It's a very powerful juxtaposition on stage there. Two of the world's most powerful men - an old white man in white and a youngish black man in black. Both claim to speak for the poor and oppressed but both operate in an elite world.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
FIAT is Latin for "Let it be done".
A subliminal message?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I am not catholic but I like this Pope a lot. He seems to practice what he preaches more so than some before him. He's made himself a Pope of the people as well.

I was born a catholic but I never adhered to the beliefs, but this pope seems more...grounded.

He seems like a homeless man that inherited a palace. He doesn't seem popular within his caste but he seems to be popular with a lot of-how do I say it-Neo Catholics?

edit on 23-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As a a new Yank I have n idea what this red coat thing is right now? The pope looks confused like me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join