It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth Is Not Round. (Gravitational Field/without water)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This graphic blew my mind. As seen without water (or looking at the gravitational field of Earth) the Earth is not spherical at all but a lumpy mass like a potato.

The Earth is beautiful, but without her makeup.... Earth's Real Shape
edit on 22-9-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

You might want to research this a bit more.

Even reading the comments you can see that most people have an issue with this.

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Even with the water the earth is not a perfect sphere. It is a nice graphic, although I would love to see it in greater detail to show the full topography under the ocean.

Or at least what we have mapped.

ETA: From comments on the OP link, better detailed video: www.youtube.com...
edit on 22-9-2015 by randomtangentsrme because: added link

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

THANKS!

posted on Sep, 22 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The water makes it an approximate sphere.
Water has mass and the planet is spinning.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Is that to scale? It looks like they exaggerated the features so we could notice them better.

Kind of like how they normally depict the Earth & Moon like this:

even though it's actually like this:

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
The commenter on that video that said "This post is inaccurate, this is an image of Earth's gravitational field." is on point.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Clear proof the Earth is flat!

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Also from the comments.

www.slate.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I wonder what it looked like before Thiea hit it and I wonder if that massive indent and part where some of the continents come up could be related to that?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I first learned about this at the Maritime college when studying Celestial Navigation - because the Earth is flattened at the poles and bulges at the equator, geodetics engineering represents the shape of the earth with an oblate spheroid

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
as pointed out. this post is a hoax. that isnt the shape of the earth without it's oceans. the earth is much larger than most people know.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Also from the comments.

www.slate.com...
Yes this is apparently a hoax. The Earth isn't exactly spherical, but it's pretty close. The water doesn't make a huge difference:

No, That’s NOT What the Earth Would Look Like Without Water

This is what the Earth looks like with all the water gathered up. The big drop is all the water; the next biggest is fresh water in the ground, lakes, swamps, and rivers; the smallest is just fresh water from lakes and rivers.

So, this thread should be moved to the !HOAX forum, right?

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Ever notice how the atlantic coastlines align perfectly? Well, so do the pacific coastlines:

www.youtube.com...

If the earth is a potato I'm making home fries.

Pre-emptive edit: *Regardless, I'm Making homefries

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton
They don't, another hoax. Alaska in no way fits, not even in the video you posted but you can see better in this one how Alaska doesn't fit, and nobody can say where extra mass would come from.

Expanding earth my ass

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
a reply to: cooperton
They don't, another hoax. Alaska in no way fits.

Counter-Animation for proof please. Regardless, I am not that concerned.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton
Counter-Animation for proof please. Regardless, I am not that concerned.
See Time Index 1:20 to see how Alaska doesn't fit into this idea at all, but if you took Neal Adams seriously at all you should probably watch the whole 9 minutes.

edit on 2015923 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:30 AM
link   
OP You had me thinking this was another Flat Earth thread with that title.

Yes, the Earth certainly is not a smooth or perfect sphere, but is a very lumpy looking thing, especially when you remove the water.

Of course a perfectly smooth looking and feeling ball bearing looks nothing like that when you put it under a electron microscope.

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
There is no curvature of the Earth though..

posted on Sep, 23 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerminalVelocity
OP You had me thinking this was another Flat Earth thread with that title.

Yes, the Earth certainly is not a smooth or perfect sphere, but is a very lumpy looking thing, especially when you remove the water.
Even with the water removed, the lumps are so small they are within the tolerances for the smoothness of a billiard ball:

The Earth is smoother than a billiard ball.

OK, first, how smooth is a billiard ball? According to the World Pool-Billiard Association, a pool ball is 2.25 inches in diameter, and has a tolerance of +/- 0.005 inches. In other words, it must have no pits or bumps more than 0.005 inches in height. That’s pretty smooth. The ratio of the size of an allowable bump to the size of the ball is 0.005/2.25 = about 0.002.

The Earth has a diameter of about 12,735 kilometers (on average, see below for more on this). Using the smoothness ratio from above, the Earth would be an acceptable pool ball if it had no bumps (mountains) or pits (trenches) more than 12,735 km x 0.00222 = about 28 km in size.

The highest point on Earth is the top of Mt. Everest, at 8.85 km. The deepest point on Earth is the Marianas Trench, at about 11 km deep.

Hey, those are within the tolerances! So for once, an urban legend is correct. If you shrank the Earth down to the size of a billiard ball, it would be smoother.
Well, smoother than the maximum tolerances for the billiard ball anyway.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join