It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Gift for ATS: My bestest pasta salad recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
So today is my 7 year anniversary as a member of ATS, and I wanted to give something back that (most) everyone might find of value... unlike my comments and opinions! My hubby suggested I post my pasta salad recipe because... well... it's just that good! My kids love it and I'm often asked to bring it to potlucks and family dinners. I have to warn you though that I'm a "pinch of this and handful of that" type cook, so the amounts listed are approximations. But the good news is that you can adjust to your tastes, not just amounts, but if you don't like something you can leave it out, and the possible additions are endless! This makes enough that we can have some for Sunday dinner with the kids, send some home with both and still have a little left over to keep. Here ya go:

Creamy Pasta Salad

8 oz Bowtie Pasta, cooked
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 med or 1/2 lg red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 doz garlic cloves, thinly chopped
1 sm can sliced black olives
6 to 8 artichoke hearts, chopped
4 oz (or 4 slices) Provolone cheese grated (or diced)
4 oz (or 4 slices) Havarti cheese grated (or diced)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz Creamy Caesar dressing (I like Ken's brand)
Ground black pepper to taste

Just mix it all up and enjoy!

You can use curly pasta or mini-shell pasta too. I especially like the Havarti cheese because it adds the most delicious creamy flavor, but you'd never know it's the cheese. (I only know because I've made it both with and without). It's one of those dishes that tastes better with time, as the flavors meld and blend with each other. It's also quite hearty. Sometimes I add leftover grilled chicken and salmon -- it's a great way to use up leftovers! I often have it for dinner with some crackers or garlic bread when my hubby's out of town and I don't want to cook just for myself.

So I hope some of you enjoy it... and if you have any ideas for something to add, I'm always interested in suggestions!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Dang girl, that does sound delish !

Every single ingredient you've listed sounds perfect together, especially the combination of grated provolone, harvarti, and parmesan.

It's the long weekend coming up, I may give this a try for our bbq... and I won't be changing a thing !

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Hi Boadicea:

First- Happy ATS Anniversary! After 7 years, I bet you have some stories to tell. NOW that would make a great thread...

Secondly - the Pasta Salad sounds extremely yum, yum, yummy! I have most of the ingredients already, and we had a bumper crop of peppers from my little veggie garden this summer, so i have been looking for new ways to use them before the summer ends.

I will probably use all 3 types of peppers - red, green & yellow (because I have so many) and will also add some cucumbers, because we are "pickle people" and I also have many from the garden. One more addition - a chilled glass of Wente Brothers Chardonnay and we will be golden.

The addition of Salmon sounds wonderful as well...I can see this salad being a lunch hit for us all next week.

Big Score. Thanks - S & F!

Missie

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Here's a pro pasta cooking tip, add a splash sunflower oil to the boiling water with the pasta and let it cook. For some reason it makes the pasta taste and feel a lot nicer.
Thanks for the recipe.
Pasta rules.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173

Hi Boadicea:

First- Happy ATS Anniversary! After 7 years, I bet you have some stories to tell. NOW that would make a great thread...

Secondly - the Pasta Salad sounds extremely yum, yum, yummy! I have most of the ingredients already, and we had a bumper crop of peppers from my little veggie garden this summer, so i have been looking for new ways to use them before the summer ends.

I will probably use all 3 types of peppers - red, green & yellow (because I have so many) and will also add some cucumbers, because we are "pickle people" and I also have many from the garden. One more addition - a chilled glass of Wente Brothers Chardonnay and we will be golden.

The addition of Salmon sounds wonderful as well...I can see this salad being a lunch hit for us all next week.

Big Score. Thanks - S & F!

Missie

Sounds wonderful. Can't wait tit try it.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Thank you! I've been tweaking this recipe for about 30 years now, with the Havarti being the latest addition. I love the smokey hint of flavor of the Provolone too. My hubby calls it mac & cheese salad.

a reply to: Missmissie173

That sounds so mouth wateringly yummy! I like to mix it up with whatever I have in the garden and/or fridge too. I sometimes add raw broccoli, but then I have to let it set for a few hours to soften up the broccoli. My daughter-in-law loves that it's never exactly the same.

a reply to: nonjudgementalist

Excellent tip for the sunflower oil -- thank you! I use olive oil but it works the same.

I hope your families enjoy it as much as mine!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen to it if you made the creamy a vinaigrette Caesar version just to lighten it up a bit?

Don't get me wrong, I like both types of Caesar, but I wonder if they'd be equally interchangeable.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ahhh... another experimenter at heart, eh?

In answer to your question: Really good -- I make it both ways! This recipe actually started from a Greek pasta salad with a vinegraitte type Caesar dressing. The original version was from a corner deli that was going out of business, and I begged and pleaded for the recipe until I convinced them I couldn't live without it... In that version, I usually use diced tomatoes, red onions instead of green, pepperoncinis, and feta cheese instead of the Havarti and Provolone. Sometimes cucumbers and broccoli if I have it. I like the differences too just so we don't get too bored with the same old thing. I use the oven and stove as little as possible between Memorial Day and Labor Day so I have to find ways to keep things mixed up

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Congratulations on your ATS Anniversary!!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you! I love flowers!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: nonjudgementalist

Thank you! I have been thinking of a dinner pasta all day, and this is something to get me going.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Do you have a recipe for a creamy pasta sauce? I had one recently and the restaurant called it vesuviana, but that was really not the right word.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This sounds divine!!!! Pasta salad is one of my weaknesses, and I can indulge to the point of pain!

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL

Do you have a recipe for a creamy pasta sauce? I had one recently and the restaurant called it vesuviana, but that was really not the right word.

Yes... and no! I have a basic white sauce that I make and then add other ingredients to complement whatever I'm making. I have no idea what it would be called though!

I basically start with 1 cup milk (or heavy cream if I have it), a couple tablespoons of butter, and half a cup of grated parmesan cheese, cooked slowly over low heat. It's great for shrimp primavera. I used to add flour for thickening, but I've found that the melted parmesan serves the same purpose. You can add another cheese if you like, or some Italian seasoning. Sometimes I fire roast a red bell perpper and puree it and add it to the sauce, especially if I have one going soft. (That's yummy with leftover grilled chicken and pasta!) Or I add a (generous) splash of white wine and mushrooms and chopped green onions. It's just kind of a basic white sauce to get started. I hope it helps.

posted on Sep, 3 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

I'm a sucker for a good pasta dish too! Good old fashioned spaghetti will always be a comfort food for me... it was also great for warding off a hangover when I knew I would be drinking

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I go for rotini, McCormack’s Salad Supreme for spices, Italian Dressing and carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower for veggies.

But congrats on 7 years.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:01 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join