It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End the War.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The War on Drugs has cost the United States hundreds of billions of dollars since it began. It went full force in the 1980s, and since then drug cartels have risen to power to the point where they control the political and economic power of entire nations. The War on drugs has created an illegal immigration crisis in the US that is unsustainable for our society and it will only get worse with time.

The conservative side wants to build a wall to keep out the illegals. The liberals want to open the flood gates and ignore the problems beyond our borders that we helped create.

I'm a Hispanic immigrant. I fully believe that if you intend to come to the US, you should do so legally.

But erecting walls to keep people out instead of dealing with the real problems will eventually become a wall to keep people in.

End the War on Drugs and so much of the negatives that come with illegal immigrants will end.

End the War on Drugs and the soldiers go home. The Cartels go out of business, and the illegals that are here will be able to go home. If they choose to stay then we should provide a path for their citizenship to be legitimate. We CANNOT deport every illegal immigrant. Nothing to me is more offensive than sending uniformed men with guns into communities to round people up en masse. If this is allowed to happen, the walls we erect and the authority we grant our government to get rid of the illegals, like the War on Terror, will be turned inward.

We also can't ignore the problem either. Immigration should be controlled because we need to know who is entering the country. The US has many enemies, created by us or not, we need to ensure that those people don't enter the country and do harm to our citizens. But we can't accomplish that with walls. We can't accomplish that with continuing the War on Drugs or the War on Terror.

I've been on every end of this debate and my experiences and study has led me to this conclusion. End drug prohibition and end the War on Drugs at home and abroad where we have caused the most damage. Run the cartels out of business, you take the risk of incarceration away from drugs and you will likely end more violence than any gun control or drug law could ever achieve.
edit on pWed, 02 Sep 2015 17:14:27 -050020152America/Chicago2015-09-02T17:14:27-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more. The best way to end immigration issues is to stop creating the problems that people need to flee from. Generally people don't want to leave their homeland.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

If South and Central American nations weren't being overrun with cartels, criminal gangs, and enabled by corrupt police and political leadership, we would have little issues with immigration.

I think this country needs the hard working folks who come here. I would prefer they came here legally. But the illegals that are here are scared of their homelands. While some are criminals, that doesn't make them all criminals and I think we need to observe that. We need to help those people, not kick them out. This is America, land of the free and home of the brave.

We also are the people with the Statue of Liberty that faces the rest of the world and says:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles.
From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!"” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn
I was just thinking yesterday that if they built a wall to keep "undesirable" people out, it would also keep us in. I don't think it would be too long until it was be mandatory to have a national ID card on you at all times then. All who fail to have one would probably be put into a prison cell or something. Check points would probably be set up. People get so mad about stuff that they don't stop to think about the big picture or consequences of certain laws or actions. All it takes is the wrong precedent and down the slippery slope we go.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm a pretty conservative dude, but this whole immigration issue is being addressed in a way that would turn America into a giant prison fortress.

I'm not interested in imprisoning my fellow citizens.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Nice idea, but it'll never happen.

Government want;
Illegals
Illegal drugs

It keeps the need for government at a high level and the funds avaliable to pad the expenses of government.

Why would government do something that would negate it's importance and provide it fewer dollars?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I was just scrolling through my fb feed and saw a story about 11,000 Icelandic people offering to open their homes to Syrian refugees. The next story featured a picture of the drowned refugee toddler laying on the shore of a Greek beach. Then clicked back and refreshed to your post... what are we doing and what have we become?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Nice idea, but it'll never happen.

Government want;
Illegals
Illegal drugs

It keeps the need for government at a high level and the funds avaliable to pad the expenses of government.

Why would government do something that would negate it's importance and provide it fewer dollars?

Not to mention the privately owned corporate prisons that need to be filled so the stock holders can realize a profit.

Never mind that the taxpayers fund these anyway.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Cheap labor for prison industries as well and a bounty for LEO and judges providing the laborers.

If war is a business; why not law enforcement?

It's a brave new world and STFU!
edit on 2-9-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't know...

We're so caught up on banning things and people that we are just setting the foundations of a nation wide prison.

I'm actually fearful for what will happen to America and Americans if we continue down this path. What will our children endure?

edit on pWed, 02 Sep 2015 18:43:34 -050020152America/Chicago2015-09-02T18:43:34-05:0030vx9 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

An utterly homogenous society where everybody is so afraid to possibly offend somebody else, they all stay in their homes and never interact with another human except when forced to.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

- Empower Hirohito

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I can't get that image of that baby boy out of my head so I'm sorry that this may be off topic a bit.

All over Europe there are rallies of citizens demanding that refugee's be let in it's even hit the football (soccer) world. While we in the US talk about building walls.

These rallies recognize their nations fingerprint in creating the refugee crisis. It's time we did the same. You can't exploit the world endlessly (it's never been about stopping drugs or terrorism for that matter), a price will be paid eventually.

edit on 9/2/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There is one major flaw in your argument.

Solving problems is not something politicians/government are inclined to do.

They are interested in goals, and in this particular instance, the goal is to gain a lot of money/power.

I guess that's the goal every time.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

Yeah..

Usually when one of my soldiers complains about something stupid the army does I usually just say "Stop trying to make sense, you're in the army."

Same thing applies here.

new topics

top topics

join