It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shut down Jerry Seinfelds charity lemonade stand

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I used to shut down lemonade stands in Marty Schottenheimer's neighborhood so the cops wouldn't be called to do so. I quit and risked everything so I can get drunk and tell dick jokes for a living. I'm not a celebrity, but until you've been called a bad mother #er your first time on stage at the comedy store you'll have a hard time shaming me for not being known. I know that's an unlikely story for someone you just happen to meet in this particular thread, but I swear on a stack of Christians.

So I presume you're going to make a point now that you have that answer... Perhaps that it's a free country because everyone is free to try and become the exception to the rule? Perhaps that I only dislike knowing the police are willing to shoot me because I'm jealous they wouldn't do it to Seinfeld?

But at the end of the day it's still true that you and me are black marketeers who might get killed if we commit the same piddly crime that everyone laments Seinfeld being given a polite warning about.

I believe in one law for all Americans- preferably a good one- but if it's gonna be a bad one let it be bad for everyone, because it's unamerican to enjoy tyranny just because you happen to be on the right side. What are you arguing in favor of instead of that exactly?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Slight economic tangent that pro government people don't understand- the economy is there to make sure somebody does all of the things that need to be done.

Making up something pointless to do and calling it a job HURTS the economy because your piling inefficiency onto the work load and giving up resources to do so.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond

Making up something pointless to do and calling it a job HURTS the economy because your piling inefficiency onto the work load and giving up resources to do so.

I personally am against inefficiency. My motto: "That which is not earned has no value".

But, my politics are a bit extreme - - I do not discuss them on ATS.

edit on 28-8-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Ah you Americans are funny people. Here in Australia we send out Council rangers to make sure standards and permits are complied with. Not armed Police.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Ah you Americans are funny people. Here in Australia we send out Council rangers to make sure standards and permits are complied with. Not armed Police.

Does it really matter who goes out?

Your Council rangers are checking for the exact same thing.

I don't see how one being armed makes a difference.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's clear to me that this was nothing but an exercise in legal stupidity. It's no different then Peter Sachs getting a FAA exemption to fly a paper airplane (As Seen Here). It's calling out absurdity for the sake of common sense.

Everyday people are becoming more and more hypocritical with their values. Demanding laws get passed that over protects everyone, then refusing or blatantly disregarding those laws that they voted for because they "now" don't agree with it. Again we have people who pass stupid law and don't understand what they've really voted for (North Dakota's new Drone law anyone)

This isn't so much about voting people out of office, but rather reading what the heck you're voting for in the first place. Sure Jerry could have gotten a permit, I bet the city/county wouldn't even have charged him for it, but I think he was trying to prove a point.

Or maybe he needed fodder for a comedy routine. Whos knows?

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

Maybe we should expand the FDA department to ensure no kids are running illegal lemonade stands in the United States.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
Sure Jerry could have gotten a permit, I bet the city/county wouldn't even have charged him for it, but I think he was trying to prove a point.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

I think he was just being a parent letting his kids be creative. Nothing more, nothing less.

If a neighbor hadn't complained, probably nothing would have happened.

If you've got a "neighbor from hell", believe me you're gonna find out about laws you never knew existed. I know.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

No, that wouldn't work. Not enough money would be laundered through it. A whole new 3-letter agency needs to be created. BCLS is what it shall be called (Bureau of Children's Lemonade Stands). Field agents will be equipped with brand new MRAPs to protect them from projectile lemons. The BCLS will have a swat teams armed with assault rifles and tear gas to disperse the pesky patrons in line to get their glass of lemonade. Attached to the back end of the MRAP will be a wood chipper to dispose of those illegal stands. The CIA will also task a state of the art satellite capable of lemonade stand detection for quicker response against criminal children.

There's a new war coming. The war on illegal lemonade.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Of course it does, but you Americans are so acclimatized to being confronted with armed authority even in minor infractions that you would probably not see the difference in perception.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

Of course it does, but you Americans are so acclimatized to being confronted with armed authority even in minor infractions that you would probably not see the difference in perception.

You're right I don't. As going to a private residents is the most dangerous aspect of law enforcement.

However, police officers also do a lot of community service work, some with kids.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: windword

I would have thought that someone as socially prominent as Jerry Seinfeld's wife would be savvy enough to have secured the proper permits, etc. before setting up a fundraising "Lemonade Stand".

Me too.

It may seem like harassment, but he is breaking a law.

OK, so its a lemonade stand. Seems innocent. But, then that would allow people selling other stuff. Stuff you may not want sold from your neighbor's front yard.

And the extra traffic, and extra kids maybe. Extra traffic and extra kids - - - not a good match.

Yeah because we hear about kids getting run over at lemonade stands all the time. Oh wait I have never heard of that.

ETA and how would having a permit make it any safer for the children?

Lots of kids get hit because of ice cream trucks.

Hey, lets put a bouncy house in the front yard and charge to use it.

Hey, pots legal - - - let's set up a pot stand.

Annoying as it can be, there is a reason for laws that require you to get a permit.

A pot stand?

You are comparing a kids lemonade stand to a pot stand?

This is why laws shouldn't be based around emotion.

Good God.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: windword

I would have thought that someone as socially prominent as Jerry Seinfeld's wife would be savvy enough to have secured the proper permits, etc. before setting up a fundraising "Lemonade Stand".

Me too.

It may seem like harassment, but he is breaking a law.

OK, so its a lemonade stand. Seems innocent. But, then that would allow people selling other stuff. Stuff you may not want sold from your neighbor's front yard.

And the extra traffic, and extra kids maybe. Extra traffic and extra kids - - - not a good match.

Yeah because we hear about kids getting run over at lemonade stands all the time. Oh wait I have never heard of that.

ETA and how would having a permit make it any safer for the children?

Lots of kids get hit because of ice cream trucks.

Hey, lets put a bouncy house in the front yard and charge to use it.

Hey, pots legal - - - let's set up a pot stand.

Annoying as it can be, there is a reason for laws that require you to get a permit.

A pot stand?

You are comparing a kids lemonade stand to a pot stand?

This is why laws shouldn't be based around emotion.

Good God.

No. Of course not.

A business stand set up in your front yard --- is a business stand set up in your front yard.

You are the one being emotional.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

So did Jared. People are teaching their children to obey strangers with sadistic reputations as long as they wear a costume. No wonder 50 shades of grey was so popular.

Say what you want about the guys at my local pot stand, they don't try to hook anyone while they're young and their cage locks from the inside rather than the outside.

Squares are freaks man.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

So did Jared. People are teaching their children to obey strangers with sadistic reputations as long as they wear a costume. No wonder 50 shades of grey was so popular.

Say what you want about the guys at my local pot stand, they don't try to hook anyone while they're young and their cage locks from the inside rather than the outside.

Squares are freaks man.

What are you talking about?

BTW I support legal pot.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

If I understood correctly, and perhaps for some reason my understanding is impaired, you were defending regulation by permit of mmj and enforcement by armed officers, and pointing out that when police aren't bringing guns into people's homes around their children that they often do positive things for children.

I was saying that's nice but I still don't trust them because they are dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised to find out they were playing jareds pants dance the home version with the kids they take so much interest in by way of programs designed to encourage obedience to authority and acceptance of pro-establishment propaganda.

Basically I think the authorities we consider normal are a lot more fringe and creepy than 90% of the people they harass, whether it's a lemonade stand loose cig stand or pot stand- and if Seinfeld should get a pass, we all should and the state can just spend less money on armed thugs in uniform. But you don't get to support the police but not want them policing Seinfeld. If there's gonna be cops screwing with people though, better your friends than mine. Or we could just categorically say that it's stupid to have an army of community college jocks in polyester walking around with Batman belts and guns looking for trouble to insert themselves into and that things like this can always be handled through the mail after the fact by lawyers on a non emergency basis, and if there's violence to stop we'll call you like we do the fire department.

posted on Aug, 28 2015 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

You are too far out there for me.

It is not legal to set up a "business" anywhere without a license or permit.

Not a street musician, not a lemonade stand, not a pot stand. All fall under the same law(s). Age is immaterial.

Nefarious people are part of society. They can be in your church, school, grocery store, public service, whatever. IMO wearing a uniform which in part includes a gun does not make a person nefarious.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   

All I'm really saying is no prior restraint. Until I actually violate somebody I should be free. I should not be required to prove I'm ok to walk down the street or to make a living. The fact that this incident seems ridiculous yet the laws themselves can be defended is because there is an understanding that we're going to pick and choose who actually has to go thru the process and who is OK to rubber stamp, and that's not really a free and open society with equal opportunity.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   

All I'm really saying is no prior restraint. Until I actually violate somebody I should be free. I should not be required to prove I'm ok to walk down the street or to make a living. The fact that this incident seems ridiculous yet the laws themselves can be defended is because there is an understanding that we're going to pick and choose who actually has to go thru the process and who is OK to rubber stamp, and that's not really a free and open society with equal opportunity.

I suggest you buy an island. Live as you please, make your own laws.

"SHOULD" is always an interesting word. But, "IS" is reality.

posted on Aug, 29 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to: Annee

Or I could live where I come from and plan on going just a little bit Marine Corps on anyone who questions my liberty- more my style.

I don't see Seinfeld getting an island and I bet he knows where to get a good one.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join