It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot builds house in two days

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Engineers in Australia made Hadrian, a robot which can lay bricks to build the framework of a house in less than two days. It can work about 20 times faster than human workers, laying up to 1000 bricks an hour and could build 150 homes a year. Ofcourse it doesn't need vacations or breaks and will just keep going on.

Human workers are still necessary to complete the house but it's expected to have a large impact on the way houses are build. The company has spend 7 million Australian dollars and expects to have a commercial version next year.

www.gizmag.com...

This is not the only brick laying robot, there is also SAM, the semi autonomous mason.

So this might be a game changer I thought while reading. Not only will a lot of jobs be lost but houses should decrease in value overtime. Why would anyone want to pay more for a house when it can be cheaply build by robots? I understand the inventor mentions in the article how there's going to be a shortage of bricklayers in the near future in Australia and using robotics might interest more young people but to me this is just another job that used to be done by humans which will not ever return once these robots are in use and in other countries I'm not so sure if there's going to be a shortage. Along with robotic developments in transportation, agriculture and food this will be the next sector that will get an overhaul the next decades with less work for humans.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Soon us humans can live a life of leisure as our robot slaves do all the working.
edit on 23-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Soon us humans can live a life of leisure as our robot slaves do all the working.

Sure, the ones that can afford them. The rest will be out of a job. But hey, they don't have to work anymore.

What's worth even less than a slave? A useless slave.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Good for the robot. Thankfully, there are so many variables to construction, foundation and brick laying where a genuine human observence will always be neccesary. There is always something that requires a work around or reworking a problem. I suspect a robot wouldn't know any better although at least the robot could level everything by eye, or robot lense.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LesBrocknar once this happens a new economic paradigm will be created to deal with financial issues. Money won't be seen as important. Food will be plentiful housing cheaper and taxes paid by different methods. People always tend to look on the downsides rather the potentiality of these things

The whole idea of machinery was to replace the drudgery of work.

edit on 23-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

That would be nice.

Too bad that it doesn't vibe with the current power structure. It would mean they would have to give up a great deal of power.

Don't hold your breath.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: johnnyjoe1979

They're already working on large 3D printers that can build an entire house in one day.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

While these technologies amaze and are the future regrading our building industries we really should come up with a way of replacing the jobs of the people this type of technology will remove.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

While these technologies amaze and are the future regrading our building industries we really should come up with a way of replacing the jobs of the people this type of technology will remove.

if people could do the type of work they would actually enjoy instead of what they feel they have to do, things would be just fine. certainly there would still be a market for old style constructed homes, so it wouldn't be completely gone. if we expanded our space exploration and actually started a large scale colonization of cities in space, on planets and so on, the jobs would be everywhere.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
the purpose of the machine is to replace work as drudgery

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

a reply to: johnnyjoe1979if people could do the type of work they would actually enjoy instead of what they feel they have to do, things would be just fine. certainly there would still be a market for old style constructed homes, so it wouldn't be completely gone. if we expanded our space exploration and actually started a large scale colonization of cities in space, on planets and so on, the jobs would be everywhere.

Even out in space or maybe especially in uninhabitable places robots will do the work. And I believe we shouldn't go out into space until we've solved our problems on the planet or we'll just take our problems out into space. Ideally there'll be robots creating other robots from ores mined from asteroids or other planets. It would also make sense to sort out problems on the planet first, if humanity does make it to a 'jobless' robotic society there'll be lots of time to study science and put all the effort in space exploration.

Although I don't see certain developing countries that have the biggest problems out in space any time soon, they'll just be left behind living in a prerobotic society. Which I think is also likely to happen to robotic societies, those will exist next to oldfashioned society, one group will be rich and in control of the machines while the other group will struggle to survive.
edit on 23-8-2015 by johnnyjoe1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This type of technology just goes to show how fast our society is moving toward automation. Jobs will continue to be lost at an ever increasing level as we go further into the world of automation. I can even see how the technology behind self driving cars can used on garbage trucks, delivery trucks, and taxis. It leaves society with a question that needs to be asked; Do we continue to look at the unemployment as a bad thing, or do we start moving toward a leisure based society?

Unfortunately, I don't see technology such as this brick layer lowering the cost of homes. All that will happen is this robot will replace a human brick layer and the contractor will pocket that wage instead of lowering the cost of the house. The same goes for any job lost to automation. The wage will be pocketed and prices stay the same. That's just the type of mindset that humanity has.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnnyjoe1979

a reply to: johnnyjoe1979if people could do the type of work they would actually enjoy instead of what they feel they have to do, things would be just fine. certainly there would still be a market for old style constructed homes, so it wouldn't be completely gone. if we expanded our space exploration and actually started a large scale colonization of cities in space, on planets and so on, the jobs would be everywhere.

Even out in space or maybe especially in uninhabitable places robots will do the work. And I believe we shouldn't go out into space until we've solved our problems on the planet or we'll just take our problems out into space. Ideally there'll be robots creating other robots from ores mined from asteroids or other planets. It would also make sense to sort out problems on the planet first, if humanity does make it to a 'jobless' robotic society there'll be lots of time to study science and put all the effort in space exploration.

Although I don't see certain developing countries that have the biggest problems out in space any time soon, they'll just be left behind living in a prerobotic society. Which I think is also likely to happen to robotic societies, those will exist next to oldfashioned society, one group will be rich and in control of the machines while the other group will struggle to survive.

half the problems on the planet are the result of thinking we need to compete for limited resources. just one asteroid has so many resources in it, it'd shock most who haven't researched it.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
This type of technology just goes to show how fast our society is moving toward automation. Jobs will continue to be lost at an ever increasing level as we go further into the world of automation. I can even see how the technology behind self driving cars can used on garbage trucks, delivery trucks, and taxis. It leaves society with a question that needs to be asked; Do we continue to look at the unemployment as a bad thing, or do we start moving toward a leisure based society?

Unfortunately, I don't see technology such as this brick layer lowering the cost of homes. All that will happen is this robot will replace a human brick layer and the contractor will pocket that wage instead of lowering the cost of the house. The same goes for any job lost to automation. The wage will be pocketed and prices stay the same. That's just the type of mindset that humanity has.

in a non-regulated environment they would just try to price cut each other till the price was more reasonable.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
This type of technology just goes to show how fast our society is moving toward automation. Jobs will continue to be lost at an ever increasing level as we go further into the world of automation. I can even see how the technology behind self driving cars can used on garbage trucks, delivery trucks, and taxis.

And boats, airplanes, public transportation. Next sectors will be clothing, then the basics will be taken care of; homes, food, clothing and transportation will all be made by robots.

It leaves society with a question that needs to be asked; Do we continue to look at the unemployment as a bad thing, or do we start moving toward a leisure based society?

I highly doubt a society will just allow people to be unemployed and share everything.

I foresee something else, companies will compete with each other selling houses for the lowest price, those who can't lower their prices will go bust and those who can will sell more buildings. The best workers get to stay and operate the machinery while those who don't make the cut will be out of a job.

There's already more profit since machines cost less. The same goes for other services and products, prices will drop and human made services and products will be more expensive. Who would buy the same thing for more money just to support human labor?

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

there's a book out there on the subject of just injecting free energy technology into the situation and remove all forms of currency except of course, social currency (meaning your reputation is your currency) then have robots do all the jobs people dont want to do.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
profits from mining one asteroid: 22 trillion dollars

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think you're forgetting the human factor of greed. You ask who would by the same thing for more money to support human labor. The answer to that is the consumer who has no choice but to pay the asking price. Sure contractors will price out their competition. Once their competition is out, there's nothing stopping them from raising prices again. We can see that practice with ISP's and TV.

I don't really see an alternative other than a leisure society. Certainly there are some career fields that cannot be automated. But those careers are a vast minority. Given enough time, there just won't be enough jobs for 7+ billion people. That said, I really wish we could get past the desire to compete with one another for possessions. If it wasn't for that and greed, I don't see why'd we continue pissing our time away in an office cubicle, at the counter of a fast food restaurant, or slaving away in a warehouse.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

then have robots do all the jobs people dont want to do.

There's one other thing I forgot to mention. There will always be someone who wants to do a particular job. I have a friend who sits in his garage and fixes old lawnmowers and other things for no other reason than that he enjoys doing it for a hobby. I think that's a good direction to take careers into. We really should start entering fields that interest us and remove the obstacles preventing the next generation from pursuing those fields.

posted on Aug, 23 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Not only does it not need vacations or breaks....

It removes the need for a lot of workers.

Workers who are now without work and cannot afford to purchase the house the machine so efficiently constructs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join