It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbolic numbers in religions point to a differernt meaning behind the dogmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
This thread is about the ideas of Graham Hancock, Peter Joseph of Zeitgeist fame and many others. Their idea is that religious writings are carrying hidden meanings mainly related to astronomy- in other words the religions people believe in are bogus, or at least incorrect. I have noticed the number 72 appear a lot ever since reading Hancock's "Fingerprints of the Gods" two decades ago. 72 is the number of years in one degree of the cycle of precession. If you don't know, precession is the movement of the constellations relative to earth over long periods of time (the earth slowly wobbles). If you accept that astrology was important to the ancients than the importance of this number is obvious and supports current ideas that sacred and mystical beliefs were not the religious stories we have been told.

Hancock mentioned several places that have 72 in their myths or religions in his book. I have seen it in the bible, and now we hear the story that Muslims believe they can get 72 virgins in heaven for martyrdom. I find a website that talks about 72 and many other important numbers: www.greatdreams.com...

edit on 12-8-2015 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
This thread is about the ideas of Graham Hancock, Peter Joseph of Zeitgeist fame and many others. Their idea is that religious writings are carrying hidden meanings mainly related to astronomy- in other words the religions people believe in are bogus, or at least incorrect. I have noticed the number 72 appear a lot ever since reading Hancock's "Fingerprints of the Gods" two decades ago. 72 is the number of years in one degree of the cycle of precession. If you don't know, precession is the movement of the constellations relative to earth over long periods of time (the earth slowly wobbles). If you accept that astrology was important to the ancients than the importance of this number is obvious and supports current ideas that sacred and mystical beliefs were not the religious stories we have been told.

Hancock mentioned several places that have 72 in their myths or religions in his book. I have seen it in the bible, and now we hear the story that Muslims believe they can get 72 virgins in heaven for martyrdom. I find a website that talks about 72 and many other important numbers: www.greatdreams.com...

Just for the record, that's not in the Qur'an. And most Muslims don't believe that.

It would be like thinking that Christians believe in Bigfoot & believe Saturday is a special day to drink beer while watching college football. There are certainly people who believe those things, but they're not rooted in God's Scriptures.

EDIT: Here's a good page which goes into better detail about it:
Does the Quran really promise Islamic martyrs 72 virgins?
edit on 12-8-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added something cuz i wanted to, problem? didn't think so...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I just found that the number 40 was associated with the god Enlil, which could explain why it occurs in the bible so much:
www.academia.edu...

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

that's not in the Qur'an. And most Muslims don't believe that.

Still, I don't believe they just picked that number out of thin air, it must be in there culture somewhere and probably because of it's astronomical importance.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

that's not in the Qur'an. And most Muslims don't believe that.

Still, I don't believe they just picked that number out of thin air, it must be in there culture somewhere and probably because of it's astronomical importance.

That's probably true. But I just want you to understand that just because a Muslim does something, that doesn't mean it's because of Islam. Kind of like how an American Muslim might believe in Bigfoot, even though Bigfoot has nothing to do with Islam.

Many times, local religious interpretations will change to accommodate new cultural beliefs. The Catholic Church used to call it "interpretatio christiana". It's basically the concept of reinterpreting local beliefs by adding a religious explanation for it. That's what happened with the "72 Virgin" crap, since it's not a part of God's actual teachings & most Islamic sects don't believe it or teach it.

Note, I'm not saying you're wrong w/the basic premise. Just pointing out that the 72 virgin info doesn't actually apply to Islam.

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Did you ever stop and think the patterns are nothing more than recognized repetition?

As the repetition that we know of in recorded history is nothing more than an incomplete partial, sorta, kinda representation of a hypothetical maybe…

We really don't KNOW shaite!

Cant you just be happy with that challenge of learning something?

posted on Aug, 12 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

So what particular religious writings are you speeking of?

Are you pointing to just one religions writing or all religious writings?

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I come to think of how Christians say that they come to heaven when they die and will meet with St. Peter in the Pearly Gate. It's all bollocks of course and knead together mixing all kinds of hearsay and church dogma. That said. We should really start growing those pearls now, it takes ages growing pearls that size. We should make them in orbit.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Numbers that are regarded by religions as sacred are parameters of sacred geometries. The number 72 is the gematria number value of Chesed, the first Sephirah of Construction whose Godname is EL ("God") with number value 31. The number values of the 10 Sephiroth of the Tree of Life (Otz Chiim) and their Godnames, Archangels, Angels and Mundane Chakras have a stupendous sacred-geometrical basis that was first revealed in the book "The mathematical connection between religion and science," by Stephen Phillips. These similar numbers found in different religions are mathematical parameters of the cosmic spiritual order, given interpretation by each religion according to its own doctrines. What you all need to realise is that there is a mathematical gnosis of divine origin behind all the mystical traditions that generated the major world religions. This is why there exist parallels between them that did NOT originate through cultural influence. Some of this gnosis has now been translated into scientific knowledge. Learn about it here. You will discover there how certain sacred numbers, such as 72, are found as parameters of the sacred geometries of the Tree of Life, the five Platonic solids, their polyhedral and polytopic counterparts, the Sri Yantra, etc. This is possible because these sacred geometries have been shown by Phillips to be isomorphic, i.e., equivalent in a 1:1 way. They are characterized by the same set of parameters. This is why these numbers appear in different religious texts. It goes far beyond the astronomical context proposed by Hancock and others; it is far more profound than that. The spiritual allegories take different forms, but the sacred numbers found in them are the same because they refer to the SAME reality or universal, mathematical order.

new topics

top topics

join