It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluten-Free Foods and Recipes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo
Thanks for bringing that up!!!!
Okay, I had to look that up...and we actually do NOT have GM wheat, yet.
But what they are calling hybridized wheat.
celiacdisease.about.com...

I can tell you this:
I'm not eating more wheat/gluten than I did 30 years ago....but I definitely developed an intolerance.
In fact, I've been low carb for much of the last 15 years.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Actually, it wasn't ever in my head, it's in my digestive system

There is a difference between an intolerance and an allergy.

I don't have a food allergy.
I have an intolerance to wheat...and have been told to avoid both wheat and gluten when possible.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Then cut the junk food. There are no gluten allergies. It's been scientifically proven. This gluten free thing I finally noticed in the grocery store and when I decided to look into it (because I never heard of such a thing) I realized it's one of the biggest running health fads out there. It all a gimmick and people who think they're allergic to it can't even tell the difference.

So, just cut the junk food.
edit on 8-9-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   

That's already been done....years ago....as mentioned above...I eat a low carb diet.

Now I've eliminated wheat entirely....relying on other grains when I eat those type of carbs.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Wheat has changed over the years, mostly due to an ever-increasing demand and processing. Processing in itself is not e-vile, but the methods used to preserve and process wheat have shifted away from nutrition and toward making more money -- just like most everything else.

It would appear that a significant portion of the world's wheat production is hybrid. Now, that isn't to imply that hybrids are all bad, m'kay? However, it seems pretty clear WHY there are less open-pollinated foods available --- ever-increasing worldwide demand. Do hybrids feed more people? Almost certainly so. Are there side-affects from same? Lots of evidence to support that idea also.

I think the bottom line is that if people remove something from their diet and note an improvement, then that is a valid change FOR THEM.

I may be a CT moonbat, but I don't get the feeling that the food production corporations are terribly concerned with our health and safety, versus their profit.

My opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
There are people who are so allergic to gluten they go into anaphylactic shock when they consume it, try telling them they have no gluten allergy.a reply to: FlySolo

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

That's fine and dandy. I took a look at your links and skimmed through them. The hybrid article is from the 90's and mainly talks about the science behind it. Highlight "commercial" to find out about the commercialization of GENESIS (Monsanto technology ) and it was used in Europe and America. However, last I heard, France has banned GMO. Then I typed three-little words in google. Is wheat GMO.

Today's report by the USDA affirms that no genetically modified wheat is in commerce and that the commercial seed and grain supply does not contain genetically modified wheat. This finding is supported by extensive testing by USDA, state universities, Monsanto and others.
Monsanto and GM Wheat
www.monsanto.com/gmwheat

Right at the top, from Monsanto themselves. Then subsequently all the way down the page saying the same thing. There is no commercially grown GMO wheat in the food chain.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I have that link also, and you're right; plenty of GMO corn, but no wheat. No, what I'm talking about is hybrid wheat -- created for valid reason, however vastly changing the physiology of the plant all us olde farts grew up with.

I think you're generalizing a bit. It's one thing to say that there may be people jumping on a currently trending fad, and quite another to make a blanket statement that infers that it's ALL a fad, particularly in light of a plethora of evidence that some people have a valid negative reaction to gluten. I myself don't feel a clear and measurable difference, but my Darlin' does, and therefore we've both curtailed it for the time being.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Why do people never bother to fact check stuff? Here, I went right to a forum.

Hi

We're not aware of many members on here having Coeliac Disease and having severe allergies that cause Anaphylactic shock.

Coeliac Disease:

As you're probably aware Coeliac Disease is classified as an auto-immune disease not an allergy, (although it's often referred to in the press as one which can be confusing). For us Coeliac's our immune systems perceive gluten (in wheat, rye, and barley) as a threat and attack it and in doing so cause the variety of reactions we experience if we get 'glutened'. Not to mention putting us at a higher risk of other auto-immune diseases (Thyroid, Diabetes, Pernicious Anemia, Rheumatoid Arthritis) and associated problems like Osteoporosis.

Anaphylactic Shock:

Anaphylactic shock occurs if your body's immune system overreacts in response to a particular substance (allergen) that you have been exposed to before.

Common Allergens that can cause Anaphylactic shock are:

Food:
* nuts
* shellfish
* eggs
* milk
* wheat
[*so some Coeliacs may also experience this although this is rare]
* soy and
* sesame seeds

So like I said at first celiac disease or coeliac disease as in this particular case. It's a wheat witch hunt. Yes the wheat might trigger it but it doesn't mean wheat is bad.
healthunlocked.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
okay...back to recipes....I found this recipe online.......No Bake Cookies!!!!!!!!
it's grain, gluten and dairy free....and sounds great.
deliciouslyorganic.net...
Ingredients here, see the site for the directions.

1/2 cup coconut sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
8 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup peanut or almond butter (use almond butter for Paleo)
1/8 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
2 cups chopped nuts (pecans, almond, cashews, etc.)

edit on Wed Sep 9 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: added no bake cookies

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yes sorry we side tracked your thread. What does all those yummy ingredients make. Maybe I should just look at the link. I have just discovered pintrest ND there is so many gluten free and other free recipes on there.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease that causes internal bleeding and destruction of the intestines causing a precancerous to cancerous environment over a long term period. In the short term the immediate effects of gluten are disastrous to some.

It is not psychosomatic to swell up six inches, vomit and carry on with even more unpleasant side effects because someone chose to eat a sandwich and stick their hands in my chip bag. This happened two weeks ago and I'm still dealing with bloating, bleeding, skin issues, emotional issues, headaches and heartburn from one careless person. There are yet again more side effects I'm dealing with, but a person only wants to share so much publicly.

I could go on, but I will assume you get the point. Your attitude is dangerous to my health and the health of others. Please, if it doesn't hurt you, don't hurt others due to ignorance or the spreading of a very dangerous attitude. It is that attitude that makes it physically dangerous for me to eat out. Too many people assume it's a silly fad when in reality sometimes an exhausted mama would rather not make her own birthday dinner again without vomiting for days.............

edit on 9-9-2015 by woodsmom because: Typo

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Carrot cake stuffed baked apples with spiced maple cream cheese frosting ( winged it)

Preheat oven to 400
shred four to six med to small carrots
Add in pumpkin pie spice to taste
Half a cup each of coconut flour and almond flour
About half a cup each of brown and coconut sugars
Half cup applesauce
Half cup of milk of choice
Half a cup of golden raisins
Splash of real vanilla extract
Splash of maple syrup

Mix above ingredients and let sit to absorb fluid
Core out eight large braeburns or apples of choice
Stuff with carrot cake mix leaving a small space at the top
Bake approximately 25 minutes, will remain moist, cool overnight

Mix together softened cream cheese, splash maple syrup, sprinkle of coconut sugar, splash of vanilla and a few healthy shakes of pumpkin pie spice, cream all together until smooth for frosting
Frost generously and enjoy

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

yeah I didn't expect the truth to be popular. And to say I"m dangerous? Wow, now that's scientific. Based on what? One post from someone you know nothing about. I would say that's more dangerous than any facts I give. Whatever, a study was done on it and it proved embarrassing. Had a discussion about the realities of wheat and I'm the bad guy. Whatever floats your boat then. Take care

and further. People broke out in hives with a placebo. So explain that?

Nvm. It's futile
edit on 9-9-2015 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Wow that sounds delicious.
I'm sorry that your so sensitive to gluten I'm glad I'm not so servere. I won't say allergic as someone might jump down my throat. Sometimes it's easier to say allergic then to explain auto immune disorders. I'm sure my brother developed adult epilepsy due to gluten but he won't even try to be gluten free.
Keep the recipes coming. Thanks

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

my bad....they are no bake cookies....

and no worries....it was still about GF stuff.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

The attitude is dangerous.
When people run around spouting this stuff, it causes others to blow off the severity of my illness.
I can't trust that contamination has been properly taken care of because someone in the kitchen rolls their eyes and says "oh another fad dieter making my evening more difficult". If people realized how severely ill it makes people, then it wouldn't be an issue. Granted not everyone, but enough people to make a difference.

I honestly don't need studies to tell me how sick I become. I have celiac. I am still sick from one person's carelessness and nothing else. I was even supplying the food and feeding the group. But because it only took one person to blow off the severity of my illness because he was too good to wash his hands, because what would it hurt right, because of the attitude and carelessness, I have now been internally bleeding for two weeks. That is how your attitude is dangerous to people. Celiac disease may not be common, but there are some doctors specializing in celiac research that are beginning to recognize there may be a case for severe gluten enteropathy.

The biggest point is, if it's not hurting you, why does it anger you so? I used to get annoyed by the difference myself until I realized that the people on the fad diet make more products available for those of us suffering real medical issues. The biggest pitfall for me personally is going into a restaurant, and for exactly the reason I'm stating here. The blasé attitude toward any gluten contamination is dangerous. Sure joe blow coming in from he gym might not die an early death by slow poisoning of his system, but I will.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

That is honestly an entire thread there, the difference between the two.
I do actually have a wheat allergy as well as the celiac, the allergy causes me to puke and the celiac destroys me. They are both legitimate issues in and of themselves though. If I can bring any awareness to this I would be happy to.

This is one situation that it is hard to get caught up in semantics. I have a hard time getting people around me to understand it's not just an allergy. Especially when others with " food allergies" sit there and eat what supposedly makes them sick with no side effects. That's not an option for me. I know I'm not the only one either. It is a growing problem. I honestly think that we will find its a much more common problem than people realize. Especially now that more physicians are recognizing the symptoms, which are many and vague at times. I've been sick for my whole life, it wasn't until my body started shutting down and my husband dragged me to our naturopath that I even got tested. My antibodies were off the charts.

Just for people to understand how severe this can be for people, I have been glutened by acetaminophen, tea bags, strawberries on Valentine's day because they are grown on wheat straw, cottage cheese and there was one more sneaky one that I can't remember. I even got sick walking into the kitchen where they were making pizza at my sisters rehearsal dinner, inhaled flour and got sick. I know it was inhaled because I was too scared to touch anything. Also stay wary of glues!! Don't lick another stamp or envelope as they often will use wheat glue since it's cheap and food safe.

One new lovely development has been that Cheerios have gone gluten free!! They created a process to ensure that their oats are gluten free, my boys have been so happy to have a new ceral in the house. Chex has served us well over the last couple of years, but the Cheerios are cheaper and I get a family sized box! Woo hoo!
edit on 9-9-2015 by woodsmom because: Replied to wrong person, not enough caffeine this morning yet......

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

So you have celiac disease. Then my post has nothing to do with you. I think you've completely missed my point and have somehow misdirected it to be all about you instead. It's not. It's about the other 4/5 people who don't have celiac disease but think they're allergic to wheat because of this stupid fad diet and eat too much processed foods.

What you're doing is shooting the messenger. Don't blame me. Don't say I have a dangerous attitude because i read studies. Don't blame my personality type on your medical problems. I can guarantee you I am one of the most balanced people you will ever meet. BUT, if you do continue to flout REAL peer reviewed studies showing the facts surrounding gluten free diets and the hypochondriacs that fall for it, then it's you, not me.

Your entire post/rant reeks of nativity. So let me put it this way. You're sitting in an emergency room full of gluten sufferers except you're the only one with an actual medical condition. The rest, it's in their head but they have priority over you and you don't get to see the doctor.

Yeah, think about that. It wouldn't be long before you start to change your tune and then suddenly, "that guy" from ATS was right. You see? That's called balance. Try some.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Meatloaf Question....

The weather is cooling and it's almost time for meatloaf again.
My favorite recipe calls for 3 slices of fresh bread crumbs.
I know I can use GF bread....but will it get gummy if I use GF bread to make the bread crumbs?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join