It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'ROWDY' RODDY PIPER DIES AT 61 From Cardiac Arrest

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
IS there anyone else here who feels like we are all just wandering around in some kind of dream world?? I feel it myself. I do every day, and I always wonder how many others feel it too. I think this very thing every time someone important dies. Like Roddy. I feel dead, constantly, like he is a remnant of someone, or something which made me once feel alive. The more people I love die, the more I just feel dead. By that, I mean lack of feeling, emotions going away.. no personality, Perhaps de-sensitized. It's terrible, and at the same time, doesn't seem so real, even if it is.

FuBAr.

edit on 1-8-2015 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

You're not alone, i feel the same way. Like a part of me has been destroyed when those who are truly awake die in this reality. It's the 'good' people who pass on that really effect me, like, an awakening in me,that has been deleted yet i'm still here waiting until it's ok to leave. And it's the hardest thing to wait for a confirmation, one you're already aware of to take place. Sometimes, most times, it's hard for me to convey my feelings onto paper, but i do know what you mean, completely.

Wow am i tired,
Peace

edit on 8/1/2015 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It has been a horrible three years or so for older wrestling fans. William Moody (Paul Bearer.) Warrior. Dusty Rhodes. Piper. Several others.

Leonard Nimoy passing really affected me as well, as a lifelong Star Trek lover. (Possibly the first show I can remember watching, in black and white with rabbit ears, as a young child.)

What you're describing sounds like dissociation. It can happen with grief. It can also be part of a personality disorder, but in my experience it happens with intense grief, especially grief associated with a strong nostalgic sense of time displacement.

I'm sure many feel this way, for many reasons.
You're not alone.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Thanks Ace, I think you hit a nail on the head, But I HATE it, always being in a dream. I'm glad you seem to understand. That gives SOME comfort, but it really sucks, man.

I won't go off-topic anymore. Man I hope the Rowdy Roddy Piper is in peace. :/

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

And thank you, I do hope I am not alone! Your post really helps! May the Rowdy Roddy Piper rest in peace!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
it's really odd how most wrestlers die of substance abuse or heart attacks, then again, maybe not, but still odd...

RIP Roddy The Legend Piper
edit on 1-8-15 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Substracto
it's really odd how most wrestlers die of substance abuse or heart attacks, then again, maybe not, but still odd...

RIP Roddy The Legend Piper

Maybe odd, but sad as # any way we look at it.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I won't profess to know who this guy was, but my heart goes out to his family, friends, and those whose lives he touched.

News like this really is bittersweet, since I suffered a major heart attack last weekend that should, by all accounts, have taken my life as well. (100% LAD obstruction "Widowmaker" heart attack) I beat the odds, but unfortunately not everyone else will.

So sad.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
thanks to all for your thoughts. @ Wookiep when you said "we are all just wandering around in some kind of dream world" i totally identify with this. often it seems as if reality is not as real as it should be.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Say what you will about wrestling, the training and the intense schedule is up there with any professional sport.

Rowdy Roddy, Randy savage, Owen Hart, Chris Benoit-The fights may be fake but the pain, the injuries and the deaths are not. I don't know how Mick Foley (of Mankind fame) is still walking to be honest.

On a positive note, I watched my first episode of raw for more than a decade and I was shocked when I saw Kane. What happened to the big red machine?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
The fights may be fake but the pain, the injuries and the deaths are not. I don't know how Mick Foley (of Mankind fame) is still walking to be honest.

You want to see something urp-inducing, fish around on youtube and you can find the video where Stan Hansen gouges out Vader's eyeball by accident.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

You beat the odds indeed! Very, very happy to hear that. I'm sure they will stringently keep your ticker healthy as possible from here on out, so not only did you beat the odds, but your odds will only improve going forward. Very lucky! Congrats on beating what is so often a fatal medical emergency!

Peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

On a positive note, I watched my first episode of raw for more than a decade and I was shocked when I saw Kane. What happened to the big red machine?

Don't get me started. The art of professional wrestling really is all but dead except in the technical sense, at least in the states.

Once the Monday night wars were over, the industry contracted sharply, and because of all the hot-shotting done to win said wars, the audience was overeducated and desensitized. Kayfabe was completely dead finally once and for all. Vince took WWE public, and they are now subject to board members and sponsors.

They fired Bryan Danielson for doing typical heel stuff at one point a few years back (before fan outcry over his being held down forced them to put the strap on him finally, before injury sadly sidelined him.) They've banned blood entirely from being shown on air. Recently at a PPV someone bladed, and WWE actually released a statement apologizing and explaining. (Yes, really!)

Taker's WM streak ended and then Brock (the guy who beat him) never got beaten cleanly really by anyone, so the rub never got passed on. Now Taker is back and feuding with Brock. That kind of "no pay off, never go anywhere" angle has plagued WWE (and TNA) for years and years now.

They now have reality TV Shows like Total Divas following workers around with cameras 24/7. Wrestlers use Twitter and other social media now to try to work people, but it's interspersed with shoots so it's never effective, or at best, confusing to casual fans.

Vince decrees to workers that they are to refer to themselves as Superstars or Sports Entertainers anywhere except online shoots and radio interviews, and to always refer to titles not as titles or belts, but as championships. (Again, YES, really.)

CM Punk, who briefly sold more merch and outdrew Cena (the only one to really do that for any length of time in forever,) was injured and burnt out and repeatedly told by Vince that he didn't belong in the main event scene, so he finally left the company.

I could go on and on forever.

Kane being unmasked and goofy is least of the problems with WWE and wrestling as a whole today. It honestly really saddens and frustrates me as a lifelong fan of the medium and the art. (I do consider it an art.)

Peace.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Always a favorite of mine growing up. Mad as a box of frogs. You never knew what he was going to do next, great character. Always an underrated wrestler I think. He would have made a great champion but he was in the era of Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels & Andre the Giant. It would have been tough to compete with these guys.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04

CM Punk, who briefly sold more merch and outdrew Cena (the only one to really do that for any length of time in forever,) was injured and burnt out and repeatedly told by Vince that he didn't belong in the main event scene, so he finally left the company.

I could go on and on forever.

Well, he (Phil Brooks) sure as hell decided to take up an equally injury-prone endeavor in signing with the UFC.

Anyways, on the UFC, 'Rowdy' Ronda Rousey is dedicating her championship fight tonight in Piper's memory: Rousey dedicates fight to Piper

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

indeed, they are real performers and athletes!

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

Anyways, on the UFC, 'Rowdy' Ronda Rousey is dedicating her championship fight tonight in Piper's memory: Rousey dedicates fight to Piper

I saw that, and that's awesome! She was a huge fan of his and was super respectful during an interview with him. He felt very fondly for her too, at one point making an analogy to how he felt about his own daughters.

I feel like she is sincere in this gesture.

Peace.
edit on 8/1/2015 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
61 way too young. Sad deal.

As for the steroids, not all athletes take them to get jacked like Scott Steiner. There's also the injury recovery factor. You can't necessarily tell by looking who's taken 'roids and who hasn't. I'd be shocked if anyone involved in professional wrestling hasn't used them at some point. Just too much punishment too frequently to not have to do some heavy painkillers and steroids on a regular basis. That is, if you're going to be a feature guy in the big leagues.

I don't think there's as much cutting going on as there used to be either. Hiding little pieces of razorblades in finger or wrist tape and dragging it across the forehead. That's some serious old school stuff.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
He was one of the best heels ever. He may have dabbled in steroids once or twice but in no way was he a abuser of them imo..

I love how every-time a wrestler dies rather it be a 400 lb 40% body fat guy or a jacked guy it was due to steroids... These guys dabble into all sorts of drugs from pain killers, coc aine, alcohol etc etc and usually a combination of all...

There are body builders in there 50's and 60's 70's, who have taken more steroids than many wrestlers... Some of these guys def abuse them...... Most professional bodybuilders have taken amounts that would make what these wrestlers take look miniscule....

Even guys like S. Stallone have taken them, and the man Arnold himself... Both getting old and still kicking it... Frank Zane is also 73 and those guys usually used Deca Durabolin, Primoblan, Dianabol back then. Most everyone in pro sports post-1956 used steroids at some point.

To put all the blame on steroids and nothing else is unfair imo

Bottom line is these wrestlers lead a tough life and a lot of them did a vast combination of drugs/pills to get them by.... To blame one thing solely is being rather close minded. Tons of people die of heart attacks that have never touched a single steroid or recreational drug in there life.... My wifes Chiropractor just died in his sleep.. He was only 32 years old and in awesome shape and had just completed a triathlon... Clean and straight as an arrow and very health conscious. They think it was a heart attack or Aneurysm.. In this age of #ty processed fast foods heart attacks are not rare..While roids may have played a part we don't really know, ya can rest assured those guys where taking other drugs as well that arent consider healthy.. I always heard pain killers and coc aine was big in the pro wrestling scene..I assume coke,pain killers, and steroid (ABUSE) would take its toll.
edit on 1-8-2015 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boxman

"You're an old man, Mr Nada. Tomorrow at 8 AM you will have a heart attack"

From the short story They Live is based on.

All fans of the movie should look for it.

Its like a ten minute read.

Here ya go...8oclock.wikia.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join