It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Red Arcs Spotted on Icy Saturn Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Like graffiti sprayed by an unknown artist, unexplained arc-shaped, reddish streaks are visible on the surface of Saturn's icy moon Tethys in new, enhanced-color images from NASA's Cassini spacecraft.

The red arcs are narrow, curved lines on the moon's surface, and are among the most unusual color features on Saturn's moons to be revealed by Cassini's cameras.

"The red arcs must be geologically young because they cut across older features like impact craters, but we don't know their age in years." said Paul Helfenstein, a Cassini imaging scientist at Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, who helped plan the observations. "If the stain is only a thin, colored veneer on the icy soil, exposure to the space environment at Tethys' surface might erase them on relatively short time scales."

No one knows what created the marks, so I don't have much else to add, but If I had to guess I'd say a space dinosaur was killed and drug across the surface.

Primordial oz seeping to the surface?

can't wait to see what they come up with.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

Looks like God's kid was playing with crayons.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It is the blood of my enemies. My rage extends beyond Earth's Sphere of Influence.
edit on 29-7-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

Looks like God's kid was playing with crayons.

Lol are you blaming Jesus? How dare you!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
It is the blood of my enemies. My rage extends beyond Earth's Sphere of Influence.

Thy vengeance I do not mock oh lord!

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Tethys was used for target practice by the Venusian Space Navy long long ago. Those are just whats left of the target rings that were painted on the surface.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I think the way the color is spread across the moon in arcs, is more telling of how it could have been formed. Im no geologist, but maybe it was formed as some celestial object crossed paths with the moon, spreading the red matter, as the moon orbited. Who knows, maybe this is where some of saturns rings disappeared too.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Tidal flexing? Perhaps more liquid or viscous material is below the surface. How else can you get fresh streaks like that? Top corner makes a chevron with a crisp point. Do we have another Europa type moon? Just how active is she?

No doubt the color isn't actually red so...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Looks like algae.
en.wikipedia.org...

ETA: Tethys is mostly water ice as well... en.wikipedia.org...

It is not outside the realm of possibility that it is indeed a form of algae.

edit on 7/29/2015 by SouthernComfort because: new info

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

They did say it was an "enhanced" color image.

Not necessarily a "false" color image, but you're correct, it may not actually be red at all.

It could be the product of some oxidation on the surface, say if oxygen from a passing comet or other object interacted with any surface metals/minerals.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Oxides of some kind.

Edit: looks like someone mentioned around the same time I posted...
edit on V20151929July19Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:19:19 -0500America/Chicago by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidFire
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Oxides of some kind.

Look above you.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I think the way the color is spread across the moon in arcs, is more telling of how it could have been formed. Im no geologist, but maybe it was formed as some celestial object crossed paths with the moon, spreading the red matter, as the moon orbited. Who knows, maybe this is where some of saturns rings disappeared too.

Perhaps. They also look more recent than the impact craters.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Could it be possible that it is a seam of something that is red? Like we see a coal seam. It could go all the way through and we are only seeing the edges.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidFire

I was gonna say maybe it was something similar to oxidized minerals. Not that I know what Oxides are but I'm guessing its something similar.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Hey, are our buddies over at NASA putting up screenshots from Warcraft III, Frozen Throne?

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IanFleming

originally posted by: Glassbender777

Perhaps. They also look more recent than the impact craters.

it's defiantly more recent than all the features it's passing through, that's what makes it most intriguing to me. Since it's a icy moon I'm guessing a liquid from beneath the surface seeped through.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

THANOS KEEPS HIS WORD!
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoWed, 29 Jul 2015 14:11:44 -0500pm2America/Chicago by abeverage because: cause I was in space...

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Is anyone seeing an optical illusion with the picture. To me its pulsating in and out slowly. Must be just my eyes.

posted on Jul, 29 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'd go with the comparison made with the surface of Jupiter's moon Europa, which has similar streaking, but much more populated. Europa is considered a young formation, I presume the streaks there are even younger.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join