It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hypocrisy (of some) In the LGBT Community

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I know most of the folks in the LGBT community are open-minded folks, but there seems to be some hypocrisy among some of them. I have seen the phrase 'we love who we love' posted by many of the LGBT community. I think this is likely a true statement. The problem I have is when some of these same folks wont let me and other 'feel how we feel'. The fact is I don't go out of my way to be put off by the idea of two people of the same sex together in a physical way. I just 'feel how I feel'.

I think I would just like to have the same respect for how I feel given to me as I am willing to give to those that 'love who they love'. I am not against the people that identify with the LGBT community and am fortunate to have several of these folks in my life as friends and acquaintances, but I think we can approach this whole thing from a position of mutual respect.

I would understand if someone who was gay found heterosexual activity uncomfortable so I would simply like this same respect given in return. That's it...mutual respect for my fellow humans and an understanding of real feelings and emotion goes both ways.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't think they do care unless you are using that uncomfertableness to justify them not being able to do something.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Good luck on this one!

I agree with everything you said however this discussion will most probably go the way of "you can only be racist of you are white" school of thought.

See, heterosexual people haven't been victims for long enough so liberals do not care how we feel.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here we go again, im putting my waders on before the piss starts flying

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Not all GLBT people are liberal / inter-sectional feminists.

Nothing to say about this thread except without concrete examples am not sure what you mean. What is the call to action from this post OP?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yes it is so hard our here to he hetero.

I don't know how I get through the days to be honest.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Right, as i told someone earlier you have the freedom to feel how you want and to have any opinion you want, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't fall under the definition of 'Bigot', 'Racist', 'Sexist' etc. and that doesn't mean someone doesn't have the same freedom top call you out on it

that being said...

Saying i'm not attracted to the Same-Sex is not 'Bigoted'' or 'Homophobic'. saying we should "Keep it in doors" is different, saying we should be kept away because we make someone feel "Uncomfortable" is different then saying i don't want to be involved in Same-Sex intimacy

saying you don't like "Gay Behavior" is different then saying you don't like the Personality of 'X' person, because you are generalizing a sexuality into a Behavior and not the specific individual

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Actually no, Gay people can be bigoted and Homophobic, Transphobic, Racist etc... Trans people can be Homophobic, Transphobic, Racist etc same with any 'Group' of people

The sexuality, Gender-Identity or race doesn't exclude you from a belief

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I know most of the folks in the LGBT community are open-minded folks, but there seems to be some hypocrisy among some of them.

There is hypocrisy in every group. of COURSE, there's hypocrisy among SOME of them. What's the point here?

The problem I have is when some of these same folks wont let me and other 'feel how we feel'.

And how are they preventing you from feeling how you feel?

I think I would just like to have the same respect for how I feel given to me as I am willing to give to those that 'love who they love'.

But do you honestly give them respect? Some of your posts make me question that idea.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
But it does make me feel uncomfortable. I'm sorry.

Watching homosexual behavior triggers the same feeling in me I get when I attempt to envision something like pedophilia or something similar. I chalk it up to the fact that it is unnatural behavior for me. I can handle shows with gay characters but I often turn away or do something else with the intimacy is explicitly shown because of it. If there is too much, I do find myself tuning it out and turning it off.

I would fully expect someone who is homosexual to experience similar feelings when forced to go against their type and orientation. I cannot help it that they are such a minority, but there is a sound biological reason why that is.

This is one good reason why physical intimacy is not publically appropriate, but then again, if you go back to the days of my grandfather, PDA was not an acceptable thing at all. I blame the whole sexual revolution for that. When we started acting out our sexuality, we opened the doors for everyone to do it. Maybe everyone should start to put it back inside again? If only to stop antagonizing each other with it?

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

I feel the same as the OP. Do whatever you want as long as it makes you happy. But, and I apologize if this isn't PC, but seeing two guys kissing to me is a little yuk. I am sorry I feel that way. I wish it didn't bother me, but it does. Not enough for me to make a scene and chastise anyone for doing it, but I sure won't bang around and gawk.

I would hope people would understand that, and not try to twist it into being a homophobic trait. Although, maybe that is a sign of being homophobic. But it's not a voluntary feeling, it's reactionary.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is it just guys, or do both sexes doing PDA upset you? I ask because I only feel that way with dude's doing it. Two women is sometimes kind of hot. (is that wrong?)

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
some people are just uncomfortable with public displays of affection, no matter the composition. my husband and i (we're a hetero couple) were reprimanded by a hetero guy for being too affectionate in a restaurant while he was there. it wasn't like we were being overtly affectionate - it just made him uncomfortable.

affection can be a personal, often private thing, particularly sexual affection. it only becomes a public thing when you display it publically, and that can cause people to have biological reactions to the visual stimulus, which may or may not make them uncomfortable. it's like yelling in a restaurant or other public place, apparently.

go figure. i had no idea it was effecting people to that degree.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We're all hypocrites in one way or another on a daily basis...

Another "gay rant"?

LOL

Have you ever seen American Beauty?

I'm starting to wonder about you

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pinke
What is the call to action from this post OP?

The OP is about mutual respect and understanding for our fellow human being and how it is a two-way street. Thank you for asking.

ETA: I am also saying there is a difference between not feeling comfortable with a certain behavior and being able to care about the person as a fellow human being or even friend.
edit on 2015/7/24 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I want the freedom to piss people off, "equally".

I sometimes want to draw a picture of Mohammed, wearing a dress made from a confederate flag, slapping a kitten with a spatula while eating bacon, from a wheelchair.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I sometimes want to draw a picture of Mohammed, wearing a dress made from a confederate flag, slapping a kitten with a spatula while eating bacon, from a wheelchair.

you missed one of the hot topics!

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
But it does make me feel uncomfortable. I'm sorry.

Watching homosexual behavior triggers the same feeling in me I get when I attempt to envision something like pedophilia or something similar. I chalk it up to the fact that it is unnatural behavior for me. I can handle shows with gay characters but I often turn away or do something else with the intimacy is explicitly shown because of it. If there is too much, I do find myself tuning it out and turning it off.

I would fully expect someone who is homosexual to experience similar feelings when forced to go against their type and orientation. I cannot help it that they are such a minority, but there is a sound biological reason why that is.

This is one good reason why physical intimacy is not publically appropriate, but then again, if you go back to the days of my grandfather, PDA was not an acceptable thing at all. I blame the whole sexual revolution for that. When we started acting out our sexuality, we opened the doors for everyone to do it. Maybe everyone should start to put it back inside again? If only to stop antagonizing each other with it?

Your post seems to be very honest and that is always a good thing. If i may just two points. Homosexuality and pedophilia have nothing to do with each other,its the "anti homo mob" who introduced this in order to gain support. A "homo" is not who the person is it only describes who that person wants to have sex, love, relationship with, since it takes two you are in no danger. I really dont understand how this can be so threatening to some people but I respect it can be.

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Have you ever seen American Beauty?

American Beauty is my favorite movie of all time. It was this movie that inspired me to quit my corporate job and follow my dreams. No need to wonder about me. I am not gay...thanks for your concern I guess.

edit on 2015/7/24 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jul, 24 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo

originally posted by: beezzer

you missed one of the hot topics!

I'll try again;

I sometimes want to draw a picture of a conservative black Mohammed, wearing a dress made from a confederate flag, slapping a progressive asian kitten with a spatula while eating bacon, from a wheelchair, while burning the American flag.

edit on 24-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-7-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join