It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba is Demanding Reparations from the U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ken10
a reply to: butcherguy

Or maybe the US government should reimburse those companies for trying to destabilise the country they were doing business with....cause and effect and all that

Or maybe Cuba should have given a bit more thought to allowing Russia to place missiles aimed at the U.S. mainland in their country.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Let's hope they don't cash all those checks at once, could you imagine the NSF fees that would have to be paid.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiberon

Maybe they will do it now

, I can only imagine that the US have a reserved bank account to cover for all those checks, no interest occurs, but yeah is call the tax payers.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

" I'm wondering if paying them might start a precedence with all countries who have been sanctioned. Iran, Russia, and North Korea could also start demanding money for damages and looking to the U.S. to pay them. I'm wondering if this is a precedent we should be reluctant to establish.

Reluctant to establish? Ya think?
I'm not sure this is an idea the likes of Obama or Hilary could resist. If they could agree on reparations, they could begin the process of entirely bankrupting the US Economy. Talk about an opportunity to end "American Exceptionalism", this is it!

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Fine, but the US gets to deduct the cost of rescuing, housing, clothing, feeding, medicating, educating, and nationalizing every Cuban refugee and holding until extradition every Cuban convict or other undesirable Castro sent to America since 1960.

Hell, the '66 Cuban Adjustment Act alone cost the US nearly $1.5 Billion. The state of Florida often cites $3 Billion per year in costs associated with Cuban illegals. Who knows how many billions Clinton's "Wet Feet, Dry feet" special treatment of Cuban refugees has leeched from the American taxpayer? The feds have fought tooth and nail to keep the numbers secret, but take a million Cubans and grant them all full medicaid, Social Security, and access to all welfare programs without ever having contributed a dime and I feel safe in saying that bill, alone, exceeds whatever Cuba claims to have lost in GDP due to the sanctions.

So, Raul, will you be paying the US in cash today, or do you need to talk with our financing department about our installment plans?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What can I say, after that post, illegal immigration is not cheap, after all. Right/

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Cuba should talk to the Russians about money. They picked the wrong side. Too bad.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Every American who lives/lived in south florida should get a reparations check for all the jobs lost, higher insurance paid Becuase of uninsured/bad drivers and physical displacement from their culture being totally usurped for the past 35 years.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Cuba should talk to the Russians about money. They picked the wrong side. Too bad.

If the shoe fits! The Russians were, after all, behind the extremely poor decision making. My thoughts at this point are the Cubans need to take this 'reparations' idea off the table, and we just outright tell them 'no can do', and we'll happily resume negotiations as soon as they reach valid negotiating points. It's pointless to even continue with this absurdity as a factor. It's insulting as well, and completely negates any admission of wrongdoing on their part which is simply NOT the case.

In fact, I will go so far as to say this is something we are trying to do FOR them. If they want to continue impoverished living in the 1950's --- the choice is theirs to make. I hate it for the Cuban people though, I really do, but at the same time I don't think we should budge on this point.
edit on 7/23/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

All the US wants is for Cuba to open millions of hungry mouths to Mc Donalds and Walmart.

While there is no question this will open doors for American businesses (who doesn'twant to open a car dealership there?)it will benefit the Cubans much much more, for example, providing them an opportunity to visit the 21st Century, something they know too little about.

(Not that it's so great, in fact, I've considered the possibility of living in the 1950's in some ways superior to 2015.)
Yep.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Should the USA demand payment for all the criminals and mental patients that Castro has set afloat and sent to the USA? He got rid of his undesirables by sending them to Florida.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

for example, providing them an opportunity to visit the 21st Century,

What a novel idea. They'll go, "freedom, whats that"?

They can do quite well by themselves, me thinks. Its all anybody wants, to be left alone.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yeah, well -- tell that to the Castro brothers.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Yeah, well -- tell that to the Castro brothers.

Wow, that was quick. I love ATS.

Tell them they get medals for being the only country to stand up to the US for half a century.

I shower them with praise.

Neh nyeh, US… (insert whoopee cushion sound)

Not to you, M' Lady… to the US industrial control freak complex.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
We Canadians have had a blast hanging out in Cuba all these decades while the US government continued to sit in the corner and pout over sour grapes.

No more oober cheap tropical holidays and Cuban cigars for us Canadians...

*sigh*

Bring back the embargo dammit !

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Do you have a point?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
As a third generation Cuban-American whose grandfather fled the Castro regime, I say F that.

The Castro's are nothing but thugs, and we should not be negotiating with them. We should have just waited for them to die before doing anything.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Do you have a point?

Hm, after this very unremarkable and silly post, I feel justified in asking -- how is your reading comprehension today? A little off, I see.

Do you have anything pertinent to add, or are you just interested in being a smartass?

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
If we are going to kowtow and do this, then maybe all the US citizens who feel we owe them reparations can go along with the money? I'll keep the Cubans, and we can call it square.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, no kowtowing no! If by some absurdity, we do entertain the ridiculous notion of paying them hundreds of millions, we can kiss any further attempts to sanction other nations goodbye with shame on our faces, no matter the seriousness of their crimes against humanity. It's announcing to the world 'we were wrong to have done this'. We weren't wrong, just as we weren't wrong to sanction North Korea and Iran.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join