It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Trend Among Dems

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I don't talk politics on Facebook. Because of this I have "friends" with a wide range of political. Literally communist to fascists and everything in between.

It has also allowed me to see an interesting trend.

I've noticed that people I'd describe as mainline Democrats, or liberals, are the first to criticize people for their physical appearance. They do it with politicians. They mock Christie's weight, Boehner's skin, Trumps hair and so on. But they also do it with average people. They often post pictures ridiculing "rednecks" or people with bad fashion sense and so on. And it was the liberals who made fun of Dylan Roof's haircut.

The conservatives post many negative things about Obama and Hillary. But I don't see the physical stuff. They don't talk about Hillary's weight or age or her taste in pantsuits. However, I do recall Obama supporters in '08 doing all those things.

I also don't see such attacks from my far left chums. Their political posts are issue oriented. Same can be said for the Libertarians and far right people.

Now I'm aware you can find virulent, ugly attacks on Democratic politicians online, including stuff on appearance. But it's done on anonymous forums and the like.

On Facebook, people are attaching their real names to these attacks. And it all seems socially acceptable among their friends. Occasionally, there may be some very weak push-back. But it's rare.

Although I've always been to the left of most Dems, I've been around plenty. And these type of attacks were no more acceptable than racist or sexist statements. If someone made such statements, they did it privately and in a whisper. They didn't shout it from the rooftops. Not sure when this changed. But it feels like it was some time this century. And it's gotten worse each year.

Has anyone else noticed this?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

Yes.

It must be some kind of debate/argument tactic.

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Sorry to say, but your perspective is extremely bias. Both parties do it. Each party fails to see their own short comings. They can do no wrong.

+17 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Sorry to say, but your perspective is extremely bias. Both parties do it. Each party fails to see their own short comings. They can do no wrong.

I'm a registered Democrat. So I don't really understand your point.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I agree with the OP to an extent. I also don't post anything political on facebook. I therefore have friends of all political affiliations on there. I find that most people that do post anything political are conservative and that most of those posts are extremely negative. I don't find my left leaning friends and associates as negative or hateful. Just my observation. I find that all, yes I can say all, negative comments pertaining to physical appearance are republicans and most of that is against the Obama's. That's sickening. I will give you trumps hair. The left do insult trumps hair. That's the only exception.
edit on 19-7-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Actually, his comment is no where near approaches "extremely biased". Mildly biased at most.

That suggests, to me, that your views are the biased one. Both side do think they can do no wrong. But clearly the left out does the right in this regard....

edit on 19-7-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2015 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
What do you mean?

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Isn't Michelle Obama a tranny?

Wasn't that a liberal theory as well?

Oh wait...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Yes.

It must be some kind of debate/argument tactic.

Lol, alinsky would be proud.

Make it about anything but the issues when you can't stand on the merits of your side of issues.

"and boom goes the dynamite!! "

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby I see it from all. Republicans have talked about hillary's age. Extreme or really stupid republicans call Obama all types of racist names. Conservatives have insulted what the President's children were wearing on a summer day. They go after who has on a flag pin or not.

I have never talked about Christie's weight and sort of liked him until the lane closing thing, I think he changed.

I willl admit making fun of Trumps hair or calling Boehner 'tan man'.
Making fun of Sarah Palin or Bachmann is just a natural reaction to things they say, but I haven't said anything about their appearance. I ahave always liked how Palin dressed and her glasses.

What I mostly see is conservatives or rwpublicans making up all manner of strange names out of the President's last name. I come from a liberal household, yet I was raised to not talk about the president in that way. I never called the younger Bush Dubya nor any other name but his own.

edit on 19-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Isn't Michelle Obama a tranny?

Wasn't that a liberal theory as well?

Oh wait...

LOL, you just made a basket from mid-court. Nice one

And that Obama has solicited gay prostitutes and crack. That was definitely coming from the Republican side.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Your personal experience on Facebook is anecdotal, at best. It's less of a firm example of one political shade than it is an example of people you surround yourself with.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Oh my god, are you kidding me? "Manchelle Obama and her wife, Barack. Gorilla face Michelle. Obama's ears. Hillary's cankles. Hillary's thunder thighs." That's just off the top of my head.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I wonder how and if we could do an actual study on political posts on facebook. That would be interesting to see the whole picture...not just our individual observations which are skewed towards our friends and to a larger extent our families. We don't get to chose them. and our spouses families...we're kind of stuck with them too ...so as far as facebook goes we're all a product of our environments and families. Those born in and living in Seattle or New York would have a far different facebook feed then those in Rural Alabama or Maryland...those born and living in Detroit or Cleveland far different as well.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I'm very anti liberal and will have to disagree with this. From my vantage point this type of stuff is prevalent with everyone. I think the divide comes that in most instances conservatives have a lot more to lose in life and so can only say this stuff from troll accounts and not their real Facebook. I know I could never say how I really feel about stuff on my Facebook because I have a real job and all that. Liberals most likely have nothing to lose.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Oh my god, are you kidding me? "Manchelle Obama and her wife, Barack. Gorilla face Michelle. Obama's ears. Hillary's cankles. Hillary's thunder thighs." That's just off the top of my head.

I see that kind of stuff in anonymous postings as I mentioned in my OP. Not on FB attached to people's real name.

In other words, my point wasn't merely that Dems make these points. But it's socially accepted among liberals to do it in public with your name prominently attached.

Furthermore, some of my "friends" have positions in major corporations or the entertainment industry. And clearly have no fear such comments are going to affect these things.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Moresby because: Chased by a UFO.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

It is 15 months until the elections.

If it's bad now, just wait a year.

It'll be so much worse.

And that's what they're counting on.

We'll be so weary from the lies, corruption, scandals (from all sides) that Satan could win the election. And Hillary just might.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

I've got relatives saying that kind of stuff on Facebook. I know exactly who they are.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I don't talk politics on Facebook. Because of this I have "friends" with a wide range of political. Literally communist to fascists and everything in between.

It has also allowed me to see an interesting trend.

I've noticed that people I'd describe as mainline Democrats, or liberals, are the first to criticize people for their physical appearance. They do it with politicians. They mock Christie's weight, Boehner's skin, Trumps hair and so on. But they also do it with average people. They often post pictures ridiculing "rednecks" or people with bad fashion sense and so on. And it was the liberals who made fun of Dylan Roof's haircut.

The conservatives post many negative things about Obama and Hillary. But I don't see the physical stuff. They don't talk about Hillary's weight or age or her taste in pantsuits. However, I do recall Obama supporters in '08 doing all those things.

I also don't see such attacks from my far left chums. Their political posts are issue oriented. Same can be said for the Libertarians and far right people.

Now I'm aware you can find virulent, ugly attacks on Democratic politicians online, including stuff on appearance. But it's done on anonymous forums and the like.

On Facebook, people are attaching their real names to these attacks. And it all seems socially acceptable among their friends. Occasionally, there may be some very weak push-back. But it's rare.

Although I've always been to the left of most Dems, I've been around plenty. And these type of attacks were no more acceptable than racist or sexist statements. If someone made such statements, they did it privately and in a whisper. They didn't shout it from the rooftops. Not sure when this changed. But it feels like it was some time this century. And it's gotten worse each year.

Evidence of what you claim can be found in the comments section on any topic on HuffPo, Salon, Media Matters, and others of the like. The right side is not without fault, as I have seen numerous posts making fun of BHO, the 1st Lady, et al. Some of the worst take the insults to a personal level, leaving behind the discussion at hand.

Case in point: go to any gun article on HuffPo(penned by Mike "The Gun Guy", or Josh Sugarman), and read the comments. Pro gun posts will, for the most part, argue the topic of the article, many with links to support their point of contention. On the anti-side, you will read posters using derogatory terms(gun-hugger, Cletus, tree dwellers, and my personal fav: ammosexual), and insinuations that gun owners are compensating for their lack of "manhood". Hyperbole and ad nauseam attacks are common place with the latter, where emotion takes precedence over facts.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The only other thing I can say, is in my opinion personal attacks may be perceived as being expected from RW posters, not from those that identify with the party of "tolerance".
edit on 0562015082015-07-19T19:21:08-05:0020150pm080721 by Boscowashisnamo because: Clerical error. Forgive me.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I've noticed that people I'd describe as mainline Democrats, or liberals, are the first to criticize people for their physical appearance.

Why yes the LEFT is rather superficial, and it that is abundantly clear with RACE, and flags they don't like.

They say they aren't.

They are.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join