It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The preeminent astronomer {Clyde Tombaugh} who reported seeing unidentified flying objects

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Source: UFO Sightings Daily

"Clyde Tombaugh, who discovered Pluto and saw six UFOs over Las Cruces, New Mexico, on August 20, 1949. He described them as six to eight rectangular bluish lights, stating 'I doubt that the phenomenon was any terrestrial reflection because...nothing of the kind has ever appeared before or since...I was so unprepared for such a strange sight that I was really petrified with astonishment.'

A similar shocked response has been reported by many other's who claim to have seen mysterious aerial objects. Tombaugh was also later to report having seen three or four of the mysterious Green Fireballs, which suddenly appeared over New Mexico in late 1948 and continued at least through the 1950's.

In 1956, Tombaugh had the following to say about his various sightings: 'I've seen three objects in the last seven years which defied any explanation of known phenomenon, such as Venus, atmospheric optic, meteors or planes. I am a professional, highly skilled professional astronomer, In addition I have seen three green fireballs which were unusual in behavior from normal green fireballs...I think that several reputable scientists are being unscientific in refusing to entertain the possibility of extraterrestrial origin and nature'".

R.I.P. - Clyde Tombaugh --- And many thanks for your astronomical discoveries and your UFO reports.

www.ufosightingsdaily.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Upon reflection...Tombaugh's UFO reports [and many others as well] seem mysteriously similar to my own nighttime 1976, double UFO sighting report --- What with my own sighting of a hypersonic rectangular bluish-white light and my sighting [one minute later] of a [slow...30 mph] huge fiery red orange ball of fusion plasma with no fiery tail.

I'm curious as to other's who might have had such a visual UFO sighting similar to Tombaugh's and myself. Feel free to rehash any old or new sightings that you've seen or heard about; since I'm all ears.

Any comment or speculation as too what these strange mysterious lights are...is also welcome.

Cheers,

Erno

edit on 19-7-2015 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 19-7-2015 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

you him and many others

Astronomy.

And a watchman looking at half a dozen lanterns, where a street's been torn up.

There are gas lights and kerosene lamps and electric lights in the neighborhood: matches flaring, fires in stoves, bonfires, house afire somewhere; lights of automobiles, illuminated signs—

The watchman and his one little system.

Ethics.

And some young ladies and the dear old professor of a very "select" seminary.

Drugs and divorce and rape: venereal diseases, drunkenness, murder—

p. 161

Excluded.

The prim and the precise, or the exact, the homogeneous, the single, the puritanic, the mathematic, the pure, the perfect. We can have illusion of this state—but only by disregarding its infinite denials. It's a drop of milk afloat in acid that's eating it. The positive swamped by the negative. So it is in intermediateness, where only to "be" positive is to generate corresponding and, perhaps, equal negativeness. In our acceptance, it is, in quasi-existence, premonitory, or pre-natal, or pre-awakening consciousness of a real existence. But this consciousness of realness is the greatest resistance to efforts to realize or to become real—because it is feeling that realness has been attained. Our antagonism is not to Science, but to the attitude of the sciences that they have finally realized; or to belief, instead of acceptance; to the insufficiency, which, as we have seen over and over, amounts to paltriness and puerility of scientific dogmas and standards. Or, if several persons start out to Chicago, and get to Buffalo, and one be under the delusion that Buffalo is Chicago, that one will be a resistance to the progress of the others.

So astronomy and its seemingly exact, little system—

But data we shall have of round worlds and spindle-shaped worlds, and worlds shaped like a wheel; worlds like titanic pruning hooks; worlds linked together by streaming filaments; solitary worlds, and worlds in hordes: tremendous worlds and tiny worlds: some of them made of material like the material of this earth; and worlds that are geometric super-constructions made of iron and steel—

Or not only fall from the sky of ashes and cinders and coke and charcoal and oily substances that suggest fuel—but the masses of iron that have fallen upon this earth.

Wrecks and flotsam and fragments of vast iron constructions—

Or steel. Sooner or later we shall have to take up an expression that fragments of steel have fallen from the sky. If fragments not of iron, but of steel have fallen upon this earth—

But what would a deep-sea fish learn even if a steel plate of a wrecked vessel above him should drop and bump him on the nose?
fThe Book of the Damned by Charles Fort 1919

www.sacred-texts.com...

funbox
edit on 19-7-2015 by funbox because: notted wolf addage

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
OK, I have seen weird aireal things which I have told about here on ATS. All in Amsterdam.

1988 summer, after doing the dishes I had the strange urge to look out of the kitchen window. After a short while I saw an object with left a red dim light and right a dim green light hovering close to another block of low flats. I couldn't see the object it self, it descended behind trees and then I lost sight. No angle to the horizon.

1989 Jan or Feb, I went to the balcony for some fresh air about 20 'o clock and saw up in the sky to tiny light dots that flew quickly about 45 degrees to the horizon up to higher altitudes. The strange thing is that they were very close to one another and that one time they crossed paths.

2010 or 2011 summer, I was on my balcony about 11 pm when I saw a light fly in a route normally never taken by planes. It had no blinking lights and it flew quite fast into the south-east. About 60 degrees to the horizon.

2012 or 2013 Dec, I saw from my window a big orangy ball, dimly lit, just very slowly going to the east hanging in the air. At first I thought about fire works, but I saw it for about a minute. it was level to the horizon.

Can't state sizes or distances.

edit on 19-7-2015 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

thought provoking

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: QueenofWeird
Unfortunately when u say Amsterdam you know what people will think.....nothing personal.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

fascinating!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
Unfortunately when u say Amsterdam you know what people will think.....nothing personal.

Hahaha, totally sober at all those moments

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That's what people will find weird...lol

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's what people will find weird...lol

Oh come on, we're not on pot either all the time or at all!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

indeed

The mass-formation:

Fritsche, Stark, De Cuppis, Sidebotham, Lescarbault, Lummis, Gruthinson, De Vico, Scott, Wray, Russell, Hind, Lowe, Coumbray, Weber, Standacher, Lichtenberg, Dangos, Hoffman, Schmidt, Lofft, Steinheibel, Pastorff—

These are only the observations conventionally listed relatively to an Intra-Mercurial planet. They are formidable enough to prevent our being diverted, as if it were all the dream of a lonely amateur—but they're a mere advance-guard. From now on other data of large celestial bodies, some dark and some reflecting light, will pass and pass and keep on passing—

So that some of us will remember a thing or two, after the procession's over—possibly.

Taking up only one of the listed observations—

Or our impression that the discrediting of Leverrier has nothing to do with the acceptability of these data:

In the London Times, Jan. 10, 1860, is Benjamin Scott's account of his observation:

That, in the summer of 1847, he had seen a body that had seemed to be the size of Venus, crossing the sun. He says that, hardly believing the evidence of his sense of sight, he had looked for someone, whose hopes or ambitions would not make him so subject to illusion. He had told his little son, aged five years, to look through the telescope. The child had exclaimed that he had seen "a little balloon" crossing the sun. Scott says that he had not had sufficient self-reliance to make public announcement of his remarkable observation at the time, but that, in the evening of the same day, he

p. 205

had told Dr. Dick, F.R.A.S., who had cited other instances. In the Times, Jan. 12, 1860, is published a letter from Richard Abbott, F.R.A.S.: that he remembered Mr. Scott's letter to him upon this observation, at the time of the occurrence.

I suppose that, at the beginning of this chapter, one had the notion that, by hard scratching through musty old records we might rake up vague, more than doubtful data, distortable into what's called evidence of unrecognized worlds or constructions of planetary size—

But the high authenticity and the support and the modernity of these of the accursed that we are now considering—

And our acceptance that ours is a quasi-existence, in which above all other things, hopes, ambitions, emotions, motivations, stands Attempt to Positivize: that we are here considering an attempt to systematize that is sheer fanaticism in its disregard of the unsystematizable—that it represented the highest good in the 19th century—that it is mono-mania, but heroic mono-mania that was quasi-divine in the 19th century—

But that this isn't the 19th century.

As a doubly sponsored Brahmin—in the regard of Baptists—the objects of July 29, 1878, stand out and proclaim themselves so that nothing but disregard of the intensity of mono-mania can account for their reception by the system:

Or the total eclipse of July 29, 1878, and the reports by Prof. Watson, from Rawlins, Wyoming, and by Prof. Swift, from Denver, Colorado: that they had seen two shining objects at a considerable distance from the sun.

It's quite in accord with our general expression: not that there is an Intra-Mercurial planet, but that there are different bodies, many vast things; near this earth sometimes, near the sun sometimes; orbitless worlds, which, because of scarcely any data of collisions, we think of as under navigable control—or dirigible super-constructions.

The Book of the Damned, by Charles Fort, [1919

www.sacred-texts.com...

funbox

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If you don't smoke or do shrooms, you've gotta be a red light district patroller then. Only messing with ya

Although if I were to judge you on what forums attract you I would have come to a similar conclusion unfortunately.
edit on 19-7-2015 by rossacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

If you don't smoke or do shrooms, you've gotta be a red light district patroller then. Only messing with ya

Uh? I am a woman, no cop and I smoke regular cigs. I think you need to see our marvelous city to see how much it has to offer.... Anyways, now back on topic: the argument that aliens would have to travel too long distances is STUPID. Who is not to say they live in space? It's a sad thing when the only person I heard suggest this too is [drumroll] Erich von Däniken.
edit on 19-7-2015 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

Fort's - Book of the Dammed...is going to be a good read for me.

I believe Sacred-Texts also has a free posting on Captain Ruppelt's book - The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, with my favorite chapter - Project Twinkle...from Ruppelt's reports of greenish-white/reddish-orange fireballs.

Clyde Tombaugh also had conservations with Ruppelt and J. Allen Hynek

edit on 19-7-2015 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 19-7-2015 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It is the first time I hear about Clyde Tombaugh having UFO sightings, that's interesting! Yes he is a great man having discovered Pluto and now we can see surface of Pluto. Whatever he has seen is likley to be man-made though if not natural.
edit on 19-7-2015 by CollisioN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Although if I were to judge you on what forums attract you I would have come to a similar conclusion unfortunately.

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

ahh yes ..
www.project1947.com...

was there a conclusion ?
funbox

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Been to Amsterdam 3 times in my life and it is beautiful. But people unfortunately don't go for the beauty.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I am an experienced telescope enthusiast. Anyone who has spent as much time lusting after expensive eye pieces as me knows what its like. How time after time, how surprisingly emotional people get the very first time they see the rings of Saturn with their own eyes, or the orange disk of Jupiter. People who didn't think they themselves were interested, who came to poke fun at me with my telescope in a field, ended up with their jaws on the floor.

I know what planets are up, and where they will be (thanks astronomy software). With hundreds of hours looking up I am used to planes/helicopters unexpectedly zooming into my field of view, or satellites and meteors as well. But only once, have I seen an object I consider to be a proper UFO.

I was tracking what I thought to be a satellite. A fast moving point of light. I didn't know what satellite it was, I just happened to come across it as I was gazing up there. But it was moving at a very fast speed, fast enough to make it challenging to track with my telescope on the fly but I was holding on it well. And then, the only time I have seen this happen, it changed course dramatically at a 50 degree angle. To visualize the angle steepness of the instantaneous turn, it looks approximately like this character ">".

It did not turn with a swoop, and it did not slow down but rather seemed to accelerate as it went out of my view and I was unable to reacquire the object. Even rockets with propellant could not pull off such a stunt so suddenly. At least not in the movies I have seen...

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Source: Wikipedia

In January 1957, in an Associated Press article in the Alamogordo Daily News titled "Celestial Visitors May Be Invading Earth's Atmosphere," Tombaugh was again quoted on his sightings and opinion about them. "Although our own solar system is believed to support no other life than on Earth, the stars in the galaxy may have hundreds of thousands of habitable worlds.

Races on these worlds may have been able to utilize the tremendous amounts of power required to bridge the space between the stars..." Tombaugh stated that he had observed celestial phenomena which he could not explain, but had seen none personally since 1951 or 1952.

"These things, which do not appear to be directed, are unlike any other phenomena I ever observed. Their apparent lack of obedience to the ordinary laws of celestial motion gives credence."

Quotes: Clyde Tombaugh

www.nicap.org...

This is a link to Captain Ruppelt's book - The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects [Chapter 4 is my favorite]

edit on 20-7-2015 by Erno86 because: deleted and added a word

edit on 20-7-2015 by Erno86 because: added a link

edit on 20-7-2015 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

edit on 20-7-2015 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
When reading the ufo files in FBI's The VAult, I saw a document from the 50-ies stating that the aliens used Mars as an inbetween station. And also something about them being used to living on a planet with a blueish star and not used to bright light.

I'll try to dig it up.

vault.fbi.gov.../p159 Here it is, but it states that the aliens are used to bright light instead of dim light (my faulty recollection).
edit on 20-7-2015 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join