It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay, I'm Pretty Much Convinced...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I wasn't one of the 'something big is about to happen' people, but I feel myself moving to that side of the fence.

Why?

People are SO damn wound up at each other lately, that sooner rather than later, something's going to give.

Take ATS for example; the level of disrespect and general rudeness of members towards each other is getting to be such that every so often, I'm finding myself considering leaving.
There's a decent cross-section of beliefs and ideologies here, that I consider it to be a fair measuring stick of the outside world, and going by that stick, society is in serious trouble.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, maybe I'm just getting too old for the mosh pit.

It might just be me, but I can't see how a pitch like this can be maintained without something cracking.
edit on 7/19/2015 by ProfessorChaos because: Added 'of'

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

It is all by design. Stoak the fires of discontent. And things are only to get worse when A.I tries to dominate humanity and won't be long. Besides that. Enjoy the Drama. Because the epic that is modern civilization will never be the same.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I dont blame you, im a new member and reading through threds is quite disturbing. There are many who show a lack of respect and courtesy to the views and beliefs of others. People are one sided and are so ready to lash out at others for things that are truely uncertain to all of us. The key word here should be respect. This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, and experiences, not a place to shame, hurt, or ridicule others.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I am with you Chaos.

I woke up early, 3am thunder storm.

Check new threads and see at least 2 regulars are banned now. To bad, I liked their input.

The topics yesterday alone were verbal battlefields, with MODS stepping in all the time.

I think it is time for another ATS break, and time for another ammo and canned food run. not kidding.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Just about everyone I've ever known has agreed on one point- that they feel as though 'something is coming' or they're anticipating some major event.
Looking through history, it appears to be an incredibly common feeling among people of all culture and era, and certainly no major religion is without its end-time prophecy/ rapture twist.
Perhaps some built-in biological survivalist effect?
I'd imagine an advanced species expecting something to happen may be partly motivated to stick around to bear witness?
Feels like a bit of a stretch but who knows...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   

There is something coming all right it is just when . It might be before you read this or it might be the saviour of mankind wiping out AI . As for society being in trouble , hasn't it always been in trouble .

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Humanity would grow stale without its constant teeter on the brink of distruction.

Everyone wants to be right. Everyone wants to be omnipotent.

I've more or less taken an observers stance regarding humanity, its moral compass and state of cognition.

Through my observations thus far Ive determined quarrel is a necessity created by the human mind to feel accomplished when said delimma has been overcome. It is this sense of accomplishment and self righteousness which drives men to our current turmoil.

There are good things in life though; like science sports, and beer.

edit on 19-7-2015 by AlongCamePaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I used to feel that way, but then I got thinking it was just wishful thinking. Often we feel like the world is spiraling out of control because things are happening that we don't agree with, wishing for a "reckoning" to put things the way we think they ought to be. If we accept the premise that divide and conquer is a thing, then an reasonable extension of that concept would be that we have to live in a at least a perpetual state of unease to keep us preoccupied. There has probably only been a few substantial lengths of time where the world was just "chill." Even then, that would only be your perception, and in any given era your ear could easily be filled with bad tidings and ominous forebodings.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Are you sure this isn't just your alter-ego Butters talking?

Seriously though AnuTyr makes a great point.

Just being alive right now, to witness all this is something to behold all its own. Take a step back and realize that you're among the wise and aware, called to witness with many others, the most dramatic of events from atop a very high hill, and that hill is ATS.

edit on 19-7-2015 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
People argue, that will never ever stop or end. The difference is nowadays we usually can shake hands and have a drink(specifically said drink so not only alcohol is assumed, freaking pc'ing myself on ats...) during or after our disagreement in good times with mutual respectful disagreements, not resorting to violence.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Well I'm always drunk yet I still maintain manners and decorum. I have no idea what the other guy's excuse is.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The problem is this is not a theological site and yet given the attitude of some you would think it is. It is no longer about uncovering some odd situation with some contradictory evidence and then unravelling what is going on. Instead it's all about defending your belief no matter how warped it is and no matter what evidence is presented. And then there is ignorance. Ignorance of thousands of years of human development resulting in the knowledge we now have and yet people will deny that knowledge. Here is a quote made by somebody on a thread where I just shook my head in disbelief :

"I don't even want to get into the idea that the moon is geo-locked with us. That's absurd in itself "

WOW. Come on this level of ignorance does this site no favours whatsoever. Basic physics thrown aside for a belief.

This site is full of people who are proof the human race is becoming dumber.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
The problem is this is not a theological site and yet given the attitude of some you would think it is. It is no longer about uncovering some odd situation with some contradictory evidence and then unravelling what is going on. Instead it's all about defending your belief no matter how warped it is and no matter what evidence is presented. And then there is ignorance. Ignorance of thousands of years of human development resulting in the knowledge we now have and yet people will deny that knowledge. Here is a quote made by somebody on a thread where I just shook my head in disbelief :

"I don't even want to get into the idea that the moon is geo-locked with us. That's absurd in itself "

WOW. Come on this level of ignorance does this site no favours whatsoever. Basic physics thrown aside for a belief.

This site is full of people who are proof the human race is becoming dumber.

I thought the problem was posts like yours

Theological forums, you can choose to not go there

i have met so many with crazy theological beliefs about their chosen religion and often i wont go there, but they are welcome to their opinion and I dont have to argue then moan about it to anyone.

They are welcome to their beliefs, they can choose their knowledge.

Reread the OP and notice how you act

Its not pretty at all

You are wound up at others choices?

You show a level of disrespect and general rudeness towards members you disagree with

Your arrogance is going to cause the cracking.

let people believe in geo locking moons or whatever, why does it affect you so much, I dont get it

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Meh. It's easy to be billy badass on the Internet.

Doing it offline is a whole other story.

People are wound up, but the vast majority aren't wolf enough or sheepdog enough to up the ante.

IMHO

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
I am with you Chaos.

I woke up early, 3am thunder storm.

Check new threads and see at least 2 regulars are banned now. To bad, I liked their input.

The topics yesterday alone were verbal battlefields, with MODS stepping in all the time.

I think it is time for another ATS break, and time for another ammo and canned food run. not kidding.

I'm thinking the same thing.....I just can't stop watching the train wreck....slow motion train wreck. What with the cost of ammo, I'm seriously considering learning how to do reloads.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Thank you for the responses, guys. I went to bed right after posting the OP, and I did wonder how many members on ATS would take direct offense to my words, without understanding that ultimately my remarks were about society; thankfully, this topic isn't littered with vitriol.

Maybe it really is just me getting old, and there is a sliver of hope.

I used ATS as an sample for society, and while I do get discouraged at the overall tenor displayed by many on ATS of late, it is much, much worse in the real world. Debate and discussion has been replaced by ad hominem attacks when the other side fails to agree with one's points or opinions.

I also agree that it is most likely by design (perhaps it's time to fire the director(s)?).

As far as 'enjoying the drama', there comes a point where drama needs some comic relief, a moment when everyone can exhale, chuckle and take the drama in with a level head, and that is not happening enough in the world.

Are you sure this isn't just your alter-ego Butters talking?

Yeah, sometimes the little guy breaks free and speaks his piece.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
To old for the mosh pit???!?!!!
HA! NEVER!!!

It is summertime, school is out, so the internet is flooded with trolls, ATS'ers are hot and cranky,
but the mosh goes on!!!!

*dives in*

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
To old for the mosh pit???!?!!!
HA! NEVER!!!

36 and still going haha

To the OP

People are people fed up, broke , broken , no one to vent to , pent up frustrations , treated like crap , at a crap job . No help no end to the misery . Angry at the world angry at themselves . Everyone is an idiot because they think differently or live differently . Everyone is more important than everyone else . People are easily offended no one has learned how to deal with their emotions . I have bad days everyone has bad days .

I think some people even enjoy hating
edit on 19/7/15 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/7/15 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

"You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side "

edit on 19-7-2015 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
There was a time in this country when people lived with people of like work, beliefs, religion, etc. There were communities where you could actually be represented by a single person because the vast majority believe and cared about the same things. But today, we pretend that we "should" be able to live together in peace forgetting that even in nature, the majority of creatures live with like minded others. The convenience of society, the liberal push for a utopia that we are incapable of living has (in my opinion) led to all the hate. Black people tend to hang out with black people and tend to act differently toward black people than others. Same with white people, religious people, etc. But then we say that diversity is key...when it is actually the lock. If there were a community of gay people...over there...no one would care if they marry. If there were a group of white racists over there, no one would care that they fly a confederate flag. But that isn't where we are being pushed. We are told that we can all live together with our differences. I don't think we are truly capable of that to the extreme to which it is forced.

We can much easier live with each other, if we come home to others that share the same values, morals, work, and beliefs.
edit on 7/19/2015 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join