It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Motion of Venus from Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
On ATS and elsewhere there seems to be a common misconception and frequent confusion on how quickly the planet Venus should appear to move from night to night when it is near greatest elongation. It appears to "hang in the sky" at about altitude over the horizon for a given time night after night, and to some it seems to be too high in the sky and too far from the sun to be Venus. Usually these posters are told to go look at Stellarium or another similar planetarium program to see for themselves that the planet in question is just Venus, and frequently these suggestions are rebuffed by posters who distrust software programs as being controlled by NASA or the government as part of a conspiracy to hide the planet's true identity.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
To address these questions I have adapted my old moon/sun calculations spreadsheet to accurately calculate the position of Venus as seen by an observer on earth to within a few arcseconds. These calculations are performed using the mean orbital elements and equations originally published by Simon Newcomb in 1898, long before NASA ever existed. If you don't want to trust what "NASA" or Stellarium say about the identity of that bright planet in the west at sunset, do the math yourself.

www.youtube.com...
Spreadsheet:
dropcanvas.com...
edit on 16-7-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter
Excellent thread! I love when people post their knowledge so easily for everyone to learn and check for themselves! Great job!

PS - I'm not saying what you have done is easy, I'm sure it took quite a bit of time!!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I am in agreement with SuperMan on this Thread!!

Great Job and Thank You!!!
edit on 16-7-2015 by SyxPak because: damned bad spelling error fixed...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Yes well done and lets hope the people who distrust programs like Stellarium will have the NADS to admit they are wrong that's if they can actually get there heads out of the sand.

Deny Ignorance I am sure I have seen that on here somewhere

oh and s&f

Taken from the UK 7:01 am 26 Feb 2014.

edit on 16-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2015 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join