It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10th Circuit rules that Little Sisters of the Poor must provide contraception

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   
www.becketfund.org...

the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit ruled that the Little Sisters must comply with the government’s HHS mandate. This mandate forces religious ministries to violate their faith [by providing coverage for contraceptive services]* or pay massive IRS penalties.

As Little Sisters of the Poor, we simply cannot choose between our care for the elderly poor and our faith. And we should not have to make that choice, because it violates our nation’s commitment to ensuring that people from diverse faiths can freely follow God’s calling in their lives. For over 175 years, we have served the neediest in society with love and dignity. All we ask is to be able to continue our religious vocation free from government intrusion.

In my opinion, this is just the latest example of government trampling the right to exercise freedom of religion. I don't know this country anymore. It's too late to work within the system, yet too soon to shoot the bastards.

*added for clarity

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

Under the contraception mandate, nonprofit religious groups such as Little Sisters of the Poor are permitted to opt out of the requirement if they report their concerns to their insurance companies or the federal government. But that group and others have objected to any extra steps to obtain the exemption. Instead, they are seeking the same treatment as houses of worship, which are not required to fill out additional paperwork in order to avoid fines under the law.

thehill.com...

it's against their religion to fill out of form informing the gov't that they are concerned that the mandate is against their relgion, okay....

filling out those tax forms, I am sure everyone would agree, goes against our religion in so many ways...
it takes hour away from family duties...
it raises our blood pressure and causes us to mistreat the temple of god.
it sometimes puts unclean thoughts into our head like gee, I might break even if I can just find a way to not report......
and finally it causes us to send money to them that we feel that god would rather we use to pay the rent and feed the kids!!
so where's our form to use to inform the gov't it goes against our religion???

edit on 16-7-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

They had to option to transfer contraceptive coverage to a third party, but they refused! They want to CONTROL the use of contraceptives

The court ruled that because the Little Sisters of the Poor had the option of signing a form that would transfer covering contraceptives to a third-party, they failed to show that the ObamaCare mandate placed a burden on their right to exercise freedom of religion.
Source

Like your last thread, this title is a lie. The sisters don't have to provide contraception, they can sign a form, but they refuse.

edit on 7/16/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

are you sure that they have to sign anything that says they are transferring the coverage over to a third party, or is it that they just have to say that they have a religious concern about providing the coverage and maybe provide a few details about their company and it's unsurance plan? those are two different things really. and my understanding it that they can just write a letter proclaiming their concern.

I mean sorry, what's next, I can't give this person their paycheck because I know that some of the money that I am giving them will be used for birth control?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

They should keep their religion to themselves.

The government takes care of people anyway and knows better than them!

Obey the government and all the government rules!

Stupid religious people!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
are you sure that they have to sign anything that says they are transferring the coverage over to a third party, or is it that they just have to say that they have a religious concern about providing the coverage and maybe provide a few details about their company and it's unsurance plan?

That's what my source said... They refuse to sign the form because they say it's the same as providing contraceptives.

I mean sorry, what's next, I can't give this person their paycheck because I know that some of the money that I am giving them will be used for birth control?

Really!

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Oh, boo-hoo! Poor persecuted nuns! They can't pick up a pen and sign a stinking form???

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

the gov't has already bent over backward for the believers, can't help but wonder, just what would make them happy?? my guess is removing the coverage from all insurance policies since some seem to gripe that their premiums might be used for someone else's abortion..
my question to them is why should that integral part of a women's healthcare but less important than many of the other healthcare that is covered? Having a baby every years is not really that great for a women's health, matter of fact it can lead to serious issues.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Oh, boo-hoo! Poor persecuted nuns! They can't pick up a pen and sign a stinking form???

I agree!

They've only been doing this for 175 years.

The government should now award them the privilege to practise their faith.

Because government knows best!

Anyways, they're just a stupid religion. It's not like they are a protected class or anything.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Anyways, they're just a stupid religion. It's not like they are a protected class or anything.

But they ARE a protected class. You know that. They even get "special rights", BECAUSE they're a religion! What are you crying about this time?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

the gov't has already bent over backward for the believers, can't help but wonder, just what would make them happy??

I think they'd be happy if they didn't have to follow the law like the rest of us commoners.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

But they ARE a protected class. You know that. They even get "special rights", BECAUSE they're a religion! What are you crying about this time?

Nothing!

I'm in complete agreement here.

They should fill out the forms so government can grant them the privilege of practising their faith.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

They've only been doing this for 175 years.

oh, now I see the problem...
those poor aged nuns....with their arthritic hands, just can't hold a pen and sign their name...

let's say they did sign the papers, and well all their employees were automatically enrolled in a third party plan for contraceptions..
what if these employees don't want to provide that coverage to their teenage daughters? can they opt out on religious grounds? is there a from for them to just sign and send in?

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I know, right!

They should just obey the government and pracise their faith according to government rules.

It's simple really.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

maybe a better way of looking at it is they are practicing their faith when they sign the form, ya know, kind of like umm... sorry we aren't gonna do this, we don't believe it is right, find another way to get birth control to my employees if you want them to have it?

edit on 16-7-2015 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

maybe a better way of looking at it is they are practicing their faith when they sign the form, ya know, kind of like umm... sorry we aren't gonna do this, we don't believe it is right, find another way to get birth control to my employees if you want them to have it?

No. They should just obey what the government tells them to do.

Government knows better than them anyways.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

They should just obey the government and pracise their faith according to government rules.

Absolutely! They should practice their faith according to the LAW!

You would prefer a theocracy? Perhaps Sharia Law, where religion drives the law? Your religion approves of murdering infidels? Sure, go ahead! The government can't get involved! Do whatever you want and call it "religion"!

Boy, beez... Your "victim" arguments get worse and worse...

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

you do realize that it is the PEOPLE of the united states that the constitution protects right, not the established churches, not the religious business owners...
but the PEOPLE!!!
so well, unless there is a way for the employees of that gov't to refuse the coverage, the ammendment isn't being protected anyways.... just the right of the businesses and religious organizations to manipulate their employees into living under their belief system. which, by the way, is contrary to that ammendment also since each person should be free to form their own belief system

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Absolutely! They should practice their faith according to the LAW!

I agree! Because the laws that government dictates are always better!

You would prefer a theocracy? Perhaps Sharia Law, where religion drives the law? Your religion approves of murdering infidels? Sure, go ahead! The government can't get involved! Do whatever you want and call it "religion"!

Boy, beez... Your "victim" arguments get worse and worse...

Not at all.

Government should dictate how a religion should practise it's faith.

I am in complete agreement here.

posted on Jul, 16 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

you do realize that it is the PEOPLE of the united states that the constitution protects right, not the established churches, not the religious business owners...
but the PEOPLE!!!

I know. And religions are not people!

so well, unless there is a way for the employees of that gov't to refuse the coverage, the ammendment isn't being protected anyways.... just the right of the businesses and religious organizations to manipulate their employees into living under their belief system. which, by the way, is contrary to that ammendment also since each person should be free to form their own belief system

I agree.

Governments should be able to tell a religion, every religion, how to practise their faiths and tenets!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join