It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bears, Bob cats, Coyotes n stuff

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
So living now in the US I'd like a bit of chatter about the local beasties.

Back home in OZ everything could kill you , even a wee jellyfish the size of my fingernail, but none really from an attack predator point of view, more poisonous bites.

In my area there are coyotes and black bears and bob cats, and I am wandering what I need to do to discourage them coming to my country home. Which ones are brazen, and which ones will avoid us like the plague. What can I do if I encounter either of these.

I also have pets I need to keep an eye on too
Will black bears run form 4 dogs barking? And my cats are the real concern.

Any advice is appreciated.

PS/ I have a can of bear spray, but I worry i will damage myself first thinking it's hairspray.
edit on 7/10/2015 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Coyotes will kill your dogs and cats, but don't tend to attack humans, unless you have coywolves, then who knows.

Bears more often than not will turn tail from four dogs, or even a person. Until they don't, then you're going to have a bad time.

Bobcats won't kill four dogs, but might attack them individually. Your cats are screwed.

Mountain lion will kill your dogs, cats, and you if it wants to, but probably won't, again until it does.

You should get a gun.

edit on 10-7-2015 by Midnight4444 because: Spelling and gun advocation

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Midnight4444

ghheesh that's scary. The bob cat wouldn't take on all four? they are always outside together.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

My experiences are limited to PBS programs, so while I feel somewhat educated about this issue, it is all second hand.

Bobcats are fairly small for "big cats". If you are saying bobcat, but actually mean mountain lion then it is an individual thing. Mountian lions go by many names and are the apex predator in North America.

Check YouTube and see how many vids there are of mountain lions coming up to people's homes.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If you love your cats...keep them INDOORS.

I'd be pretty danged watchful of my dogs, as well.
edit on 10-7-2015 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Don't fall for the hype. Fatalities from animal attacks are incredibly rare here. For example, there were something like 3 fatal wolf attacks (on humans) in all of North America from the 1950s to 2002. There have been 2 fatal coyote attacks in North America over the last 20 years, around 20 fatal cougar/mountain lion attacks in North America since the 1800s, etc. And I can't even find a verifiable fatal bobcat attack on humans. On the other hand, according to wikipedia, at least 4.5 – 4.7 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year. But only about 20 to 30 of these bites result in death. en.wikipedia.org... So you're better off worrying about stray dogs than roaming coyotes.

Bears are common in a few areas, but they rarely attack. They usually run away or simply keep walking. Most cities and counties have animal control services to call for strange or potentially dangerous situations. Bobcats, coyotes, and foxes are more likely to kill small livestock you may have, and there's a chance your pets could get eaten too. But like I said earlier, it's really rare.

It will help even more if you look up "animal attacks" in the area you've moved to. that should ease any concerns you have about this.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah, I didn't mean to freak him out, these sort of attacks are rare, but that's no help when a mountain lion has you by the skull and is dragging you into the woods.

Depending on where you live, you need to watch out for feral hogs. Those things are rough. (But delicious)

edit on 10-7-2015 by Midnight4444 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Remember, coyotes run i packs, usually at night, but when they are hungry, time of day doesn't matter. If you have small children that like to wander, keep them close. With winter comes scarcity of food for coyotes, and they tend to get rather bold in their search to quell the pangs in their belly.

I am not trying to cause fear, but rather caution.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Make sure you leave no food sources or garbage that will attract bears..probably best to keep the cats inside.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Black bears are pretty docile unless you mess with a cub. If a black bear feels its cub is in danger it will attack human or dog. They are also easily attracted by trash so if you have a set day when trash is picked up make sure you put it out on that day.

Now Bobcats are scary as ****. I was stuck in my shed for about 20 mins listening to this thing screech. They look like a regular cat but much bigger. I have heard of people mistaking them for small deer. I think i scared it just as much as i was scared of it but once my father realized i did not come back inside for a while he came out with a flash light and that scared it off.
Not really sure how they are with humans but i think they would definitely attack a dog or cat. I also rarely see them compared to bear. That was my only encounter with a bobcat in the 15+ years in NEPA.

Im not to sure about fox or coyote. I have never encountered one in person. I have seen them driving but its very rare.

I feel like a pokedex right now lol.

edit on 10-7-2015 by xXGriMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
If a bear comes around your house just go out and tell it to get out of here with a very stern voice. Make sure you carry a gun capable of killing it in case it gets pissed at you.

If there are coyotes around your house throw a rock at them while yelling, make sure you have a gun when you do this in case there are more around.

Most time if you sternly address them they will leave and won't come back, but just make sure to have that gun around incase the bear comes back and starts tearing your house apart with his friend.

I don't have any experience with bobcats, just don't plant catnip in your yard.
edit on 10-7-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
We use bear scares here..big firecracker, you can launch the cracker too with a flare gun type deal.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Make sure you leave no food sources or garbage that will attract bears..probably best to keep the cats inside.

If you don't attract them they won't come. All but black bears will be mostly invisible, you'd be surprised how close they come and you never see them.

Keep your pets in doors at night and tethered by day. The bears will seek your garbage, don't leave food out (remember, pets are food).

Otherwise just be aware of your surroundings. Its a rare opportunity to suddenly be confronted by wildlife. Stop, look and enjoy. They are as frightened as you are of conflict. As long as you don't do anything stupid like run or attack them, you should enjoy the moment. Wait tll they leave, then go about your business.

If you feel threatened, talk in low, calm tones, while slowly backing away. I said backing away, never turn your back on a predator.

edit on 10-7-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There is less reason to be afraid of wildlife than to enjoy it. Only in the rarest of occasions is one actually threatened by animals (hollywood and the media notwithstanding), its a blessing to suddenly be in the presence of majestic animals.

Some of my favorite memories are peaceful encounters with wildlife.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Midnight4444

Yeah, I didn't mean to freak him out, these sort of attacks are rare, but that's no help when a mountain lion has you by the skull and is dragging you into the woods.

Depending on where you live, you need to watch out for feral hogs. Those things are rough. (But delicious)

I understand but it seems that people are simply listing "what these animals are capable of" instead of "what actually happens out here". For instance, there have supposedly only been 4 fatal wild hog attacks in the US since the late 1800s.www.extension.org...

Then again, people here freaked out over Ebola even though they had a much better chance of dying from a bee sting. So I was just putting things into perspective. I guess it's the same aspect of humans that makes us tell ghost stories & other "what if" stories while ignoring the family member or diet that's more likely to actually kill us.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
If its your property you are worried about,build a decent wall around it-like the old style fort walls,with pointed tree trunks.

I wish I lived somewhere there was such an awesome range of wild animals..
I am lucky to see the odd fox or badger in Wales,and they usually leave people alone.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Honestly though its probably a lack of knowledge of the dangers that certain statistics even exist in the first place.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: xXGriMe

Honestly though its probably a lack of knowledge of the dangers that certain statistics even exist in the first place.

I agree. I always hear people warn of the dangers of something & it's usually for a good purpose. As in, parents worried about their children, friends worried about each other, or neighbors worried about their communities. But those good intentions can quickly escalate into panic or fear-mongering because people blow those fears out of proportion.

I think that's the reason entire animal species get killed off and why there are so many racial & cultural stereotypes. Because people take legitimate worries & exaggerate them until they think the "target" is better off dead than "allowed to roam around". But if people kept cool heads & decided to research the "threat", they'd see that there's usually nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The pets are all indoors at night.

We've a black bear boy 3 times since Spring, but we keep the trash in the garage till pickup day.

One bobcat sighting, which is my main concern.

The pets all get let out together and don't stray from the front yard, which is leveled landscaped for 5 acres and then hundreds of acres of wilderness and mountains, it is gods country, truly beautiful, We won't be here forever, but since this spring and summer we have had sightings of these amazing animals that are all new to me.

I heard a local say if I see the bear close and upfront to actually stand up as high as I can and yell loudly, arms up...anyone know bear confrontation etiquette?

Also maybe we can trap the bobcat and have it relocated by a professional? Do people know if people do this?

posted on Jul, 10 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Midnight4444

I understand but it seems that people are simply listing "what these animals are capable of" instead of "what actually happens out here". For instance, there have supposedly only been 4 fatal wild hog attacks in the US since the late 1800s.www.extension.org...

Then again, people here freaked out over Ebola even though they had a much better chance of dying from a bee sting. So I was just putting things into perspective. I guess it's the same aspect of humans that makes us tell ghost stories & other "what if" stories while ignoring the family member or diet that's more likely to actually kill us.

I read an account of a wild hog called major that killed 4 IIRC in one day in hawaii. I highly recommend the book, the contented poacher.

Bears hate 2 things above all else. Thieves and cowards. If you run, you are one of them. Also from the book.

In practice, yes bears will not typically fight 4 dogs. That's how they hunt bears, set a pack of dogs on them and they will usually climb a tree. Find your dog's and look up, there's your bear.

Never dealt with the other aminals. But the book does tell how to take out a moose with your bare hands.

If a mountain lion is tracking you, you probably won't know, until it's way too late. Like most of these predators, just act big and deliberate, and they will start to wonder why you are not acting like prey. Prey runs, prey hides. If you don't do those things, they start to wonder how many teeth you are hiding. If they are really hungry it might not matter though.

Hogs are probably the most dangerous, that you can see coming. If they live around there, DO NOT hike on their trails, they will rip you up. Also they are unlike most animals in that they typically do not defend their young. A breeding sow will be defended to the death though.

Number one rule when dealing with predators, Do Not Act Like Prey.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join