It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Is Trying to Take Away the Right to a Weekend

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
If Scott Walker has his way, workers won't have the right to a weekend off. After the damage he has done to Unions he wants workers to voluntarily work w/o a weekend. This Man should be strung up.

Wisconsin state legislators are preparing to vote on a budget, and a controversial package of modifications has already passed the finance committee and will soon be up for a vote by the legislature. This new package of provisions has already drawn criticism for its inclusion of measures that would decimate the state’s open records laws, protect state politicians from media scrutiny, and gut the Wisconsin definition of “living wage.” But one additional measure is worth gaping at, perhaps above all others: section 56, which would take away workers’ right to a weekend—even a one day weekend.

56. One Day of Rest in Seven. Include the provisions of 2015 AB 118 to permit an employee to state in writing that he or she voluntarily chooses to work without one day of rest in seven. Specify the provision first apply to union contracts on the day the collective bargaining agreement expires, or is extended, modified, or renewed, whichever comes first. [Currently every factory or mercantile employer must allow each employee 24 hours of rest in every consecutive seven days, except for certain emergency circumstances. The requirement does not apply to janitors, security staff, bakeries, restaurants, hotels and certain dairy or agricultural plants]

gawker

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ugmold

Oh how terrible! Then Wisconsin would be like everywhere else....

If you guys/gals don't have to work weekends, you are lucky as is....

Sure would be nice to have the "right to a weekend"...My lord, people really don't want to work do they? Do what you freaking have to so you can support you or your family....That includes working weekends unfortunately....Sorry

+16 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

From what I'm reading all this does is give the employee the right to work 7 days a week if they so choose?

I don't see where employers can force anybody to work a 7 day week without their express consent. Or am I reading that wrong?

~Tenth

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

From what I'm reading all this does is give the employee the right to work 7 days a week if they so choose?

I don't see where employers can force anybody to work a 7 day week without their express consent. Or am I reading that wrong?

~Tenth

No, you read it right. It gives the employee the ability to work during the weekend if they want and they have to say so in writing. It actually gives the worker MORE choice, not less.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

I'm no fan of Scott Walker don't get me wrong, but it seems like people are just making a mountain out of a mole hill with this.

There's plenty of other things to be upset about in that budget like the open record laws and shielding politicians from the media.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
OP - just take a mulligan on this one.

Pick up your ball and we'll just pretend this never happened.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

I'm no fan of Scott Walker don't get me wrong, but it seems like people are just making a mountain out of a mole hill with this.

There's plenty of other things to be upset about in that budget like the open record laws and shielding politicians from the media.

~Tenth

I agree. Problem is, it will become the norm, and no sign-up for it, no hire, no job. Funny (not) how these things morph into something bad.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
actually nvm.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

This does appear to be completely voluntary, but I wonder if this will have other consequences that we are not thinking about.

Employees that are not well rested and do not have time to recharge after a long week can become a liability. Tired workers make mistakes that can lead to losses for the employer and possible injuries. I'm sure the insurance companies will have something to say about this at some point.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Scott walker is so awful!

How dare he endorse legislation allowing employees to voluntarily work as much as their employer will allow them to!

Evil man!

Screw workers' rights! You take that day off, whether you want it or not!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
When I worked my only union job (which was my first job) I often volunteered to work all seven days during a holiday week. Four days at straight pay, Sunday at time and half, the 6th day at double time and half and the holiday at triple time and a half.

The key point is that it was voluntary, just like the Wisconsin law.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
If Scott Walker has his way, workers won't have the right to a weekend off. After the damage he has done to Unions he wants workers to voluntarily work w/o a weekend. This Man should be strung up.

Wisconsin state legislators are preparing to vote on a budget, and a controversial package of modifications has already passed the finance committee and will soon be up for a vote by the legislature. This new package of provisions has already drawn criticism for its inclusion of measures that would decimate the state’s open records laws, protect state politicians from media scrutiny, and gut the Wisconsin definition of “living wage.” But one additional measure is worth gaping at, perhaps above all others: section 56, which would take away workers’ right to a weekend—even a one day weekend.

56. One Day of Rest in Seven. Include the provisions of 2015 AB 118 to permit an employee to state in writing that he or she voluntarily chooses to work without one day of rest in seven. Specify the provision first apply to union contracts on the day the collective bargaining agreement expires, or is extended, modified, or renewed, whichever comes first. [Currently every factory or mercantile employer must allow each employee 24 hours of rest in every consecutive seven days, except for certain emergency circumstances. The requirement does not apply to janitors, security staff, bakeries, restaurants, hotels and certain dairy or agricultural plants]

gawker

Come on !!! You've got to read the info before you make up a title....This bill only PERMITS a worker to voluntarily work on a weekend...you don't have to have a day off if you're broke and need to make some more money ! Sorry , your title and comment are misleading.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

And there's also nothing in the law that says employers HAVE TO allow the employee to do so.

The language states the employee "voluntarily chooses" which means the employer has to make an offer. The employee can't voluntarily choose to do something the employer hasn't offered them the choice of doing or not doing.

"Gee Mike, you've worked 21 days straight, made a buttload of overtime money, and look like a zombie. I think we'll ask Frank if he wants to work this week. Enjoy your weekend."

Pretty simple.
edit on 8-7-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Autocorrect failed me. Again.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
When are we going to 'string up' Walker?

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Please anyone who works retail knows there are no weekends or holidays. These are occasions for sales not days off. Who ever said you had a right to a weekend? The law in Virginia and most states says you get paid overtime for hours over 40. But it also states that overtime can be mandatory. Weekends off a right? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a
The language states the employee "voluntarily chooses" which means the employer has to make an offer.

It was the same for me, even though I was in management and made my own schedule my supervisor was not too thrilled to pay me close to $1,400 in salary so I made sure I broke my ass and made it worth his while.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Scott walker is so awful!

How dare he endorse legislation allowing employees to voluntarily work as much as their employer will allow them to!

Evil man!

Screw workers' rights! You take that day off, whether you want it or not!

Yes...you revealed the asinine nature of this thread perfectly.

Ugmold, please see above for injection of fact into your interpretation of the bill--basically, you're mixing up this part of the quoted verbiage:

56. One Day of Rest in Seven. Include the provisions of 2015 AB 118 to permit an employee to state in writing that he or she voluntarily chooses to work without one day of rest in seven.

And you do understand that it says that the current law only guarantees this 24-hour rest period to employees of factory and mercantile sectors, right?

Emphasis in the quote is mine.

Misinterpretation of the bill is yours.

So, explain to me why, if an individual wants to work seven days per week in order to do something crazy, like ensure that he can pay the bills or that she can get out of debt more quickly, shouldn't be able to do so?

I was in the Army--a profession where you volunteer to work 24/7, if necessary. I fail to see why whining about the ability to work seven days straight has any validity.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

~Tenth

No, you read it right. It gives the employee the ability to work during the weekend if they want and they have to say so in writing. It actually gives the worker MORE choice, not less.
The only way I can see this going is that things will go on very much as normal for a while

Until a worker must sign this form as a condition of employment.

"You're hired! Now just sign these forms...." You already sign away 90% of your worker's rights when you become employed by a company, I could see some unscrupulous company using this.

Then again, I also believe in something called common human decency so I doubt even if this were to pass, that employers would use this "voluntary" form to "voluntell" someone to work weekends.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Right to a weekend? Ha! Tell that to the truck drivers. We work 80+ hours every week, seven days a week, with almost no days off unless we're doing an hours reset or are hitting burn out, and those many times because customers we're dropping off at are closed. The average trucking company requires drivers to be out three weeks to get three days at home.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Then again, I also believe in something called common human decency so I doubt even if this were to pass, that employers would use this "voluntary" form to "voluntell" someone to work weekends.

You should come work for me and experience my common human decency. Mandatory breaks with the boss involving Bourbon, costumes and shackles.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join