It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage and business problem

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just had a brain storm of a thought about all these different gay couples suing business like bakery, and chapels. Because the owners of the business are Christians, or just do not service the gay community as a whole. My though was these gay couples are not going elsewhere to get their cakes or services done. Because by suing they are gaining a huge chunk of income. This is not right by any means but It is something that just popped into my head.

What say you about my thought?

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Why don't you list the specific examples you're talking about and the big "pay-outs" each was supposed to provide?

For starters.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Discrimination is not right, and we can dance around ( i am a good dancer ) PC Buzz words, but it remains that this was Discrimination pure and simple

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
My thoughts are that I detest the phrase "What say you".

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Discrimination is discrimination regardless if the person sought it out for attention or monetary compensation. And discrimination against a particular group of people while catering to all others is illegal in this country. The bakeries wouldn't have a problem from any alleged fortune hunters if they just obeyed anti-discrimination laws, but once you travel outside of the law, you are at risk from all sorts of bad things happening. Including being taken advantage of by unscrupulous people with intricate knowledge of how the law works.

I'm not validating your hypothesis by any means. Just saying that these bakeries brought their own misery on themselves when they tried to be bigoted and not serve some gay people while serving others, regardless if these people were intentionally seeking out discrimination so they can later sue them.
edit on 7-7-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
As far as I am aware, the only money that has been paid out is fines by the businesses who broke their local laws.

I am not aware that any civil trials for damages have been filed.

The bakery went out of business not due to fines, but because they stopped getting orders and customers.

Free market at work, and all that.

That's why I asked the questions: which cases and what payouts?

If not, then this post seems like an effort to make people insisting on their rights look like gold-diggers.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Don't businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone?

Honest question I have wondered about.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

-Frédéric Bastiat

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Yea, I'm not necessarily aware of any big payouts either. I was just exploring the topic in case these people looking for equal rights had ulterior motives in addition to that one.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

There are 31 States that allow Discrimination and can legally deny services, housing/property and jobs to GLBTQ+ People.

the Bakery was in a state that had Anti-Discrimination laws so they couldn't legally discriminate based on their sexuality, which they did

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

No.

Public Accomodation

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

gotcha, thanks for the info!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

In law, there is a distinction between refusing service and discrimination against protected classes. Without using the lbgtq+ class as an example (because too many states allow discrimination against them), we can look at right-to-work. Indeed, an employer, "as may an employee," can terminate employment for any reason, except when that reason is based on protected class. That's when EEO gets involved, hostile workplace, etc.
edit on 7-7-2015 by rationalconsumer because: grammar

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
One of my thoughts has been
(and I am ready for the fallout and name calling and totalitarian rants to follow)

BTW, I do NOT oppose gay marriage,
live and let live is my motto.

Why would a gay person want:
a wedding caked baked by someone who doesn't approve of the wedding
a florist who doesn't approve of the wedding
a photographer who doesn't approve of the wedding
by terrorizing people into serving at their wedding through threats of closing the business, hate email, and death threats that come from not serving -

I think that it would result in extremely bad karma
a negative feeling would be injected into what should be a happy occasion
I'd also fear that passive-aggression that could not be proved might enter into what should be a joyous occasion (a little less sugar, flowers that are on the very edge of what was ordered, pictures that aren't quite right (but the person could never prove it)

Now go ahead and call me names, send me ugly insults,
I understand taking a stand as the blacks did rightfully in the 1960's.

But inviting passive-aggression into one's wedding and inviting hatred into what should be a joy filled occasion, well I don't understand why people are persisting,
knowing now that this WILL happen by bakers, florists, photographers who are too afraid of what would happen if they don't comply with doing something against their personal religious beliefs.

This post is simply rhetorical, but I expect quite ugly insults from even
mentioning that I have had this thought from a number of members
and several members in particular.

Again, I do not oppose gay marriage
but some of you won't get that, I understand.

edit on 12Tue, 07 Jul 2015 12:58:12 -0500pm70707pmk072 by grandmakdw because: addition spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

they did back in the 50's, when black people were thrown out of diners, because the owners did not want to serve Negros, but, that was more than a half a century ago, and this "right to refuse service to anyone" was done away with.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey, I rarely post. That being said all I can say is..
It's wrong to force somebody to serve you if they do not wish to. It's even worse to force your own beliefs onto others.
That being said, to sue somebody because you believe that being gay somehow trumps their own personal beliefs is beyond disgusting.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I agree 100 percent!

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There are ways to refuse service if you don't agree with it without technically causing offense such as price up the cake at a trillion dollars, now if they don't like the quote then find someone else but if they turn up with the dumper containing a trillion dollars i doubt many of even the most rabid homophobes would say no infact they'd say praise the lord and run off into the sunset after baking the cake

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Which I think, since SCOTUS used the 14th Amendment in its marraige ruling, soon all state anti-discrimination laws will include sexual orientation.

posted on Jul, 7 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

they did back in the 50's, when black people were thrown out of diners, because the owners did not want to serve Negros, but, that was more than a half a century ago, and this "right to refuse service to anyone" was done away with.

Back in the 50's a business could refuse service except to white, christian males.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join