It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Senator Charles Schumer: Make Swatting Federal Crime

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
For those who are unaware of the phenomenon.

I have shown this video to quite a few people, who had no idea what this is about or even how it happens. They would ask questions during the first, and second raids shown. But slowly the video seems to have enough info to answer all their questions. By the end they had a clear understanding of the who/what/when/where and /why.

The video doesn't answer questions directly, but everyone I have seen watch it with a questioning mind finds the answers in this short 9 minute video.

edit on 29-6-2015 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
=========================================

For the rest who already understand swatting / twitch / and streamers making money....

boogie9288 said that well known streamers have started educating their local police departments, having a list of known streamers made, and getting themselves on the list.

So ... that is how the gaming community has attempted to handle the phenomenon itself.

=========================================

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Joshua Peters was swatted live in front of 60,000 viewers.

His viewers said that after the raid was over he continued streaming like normal, and seemed normal. But appearances were deceiving.

Here is the video he made next. It is very emotional.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Now a New York Senator has proposed making Swatting a Federal Crime.

Schumer . Senate . gov : Swatting Attacks on a general rise across New York
Link to the official announcement.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is my question.

Why do we have militarized police again?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It's a pretty sick and cowardly thing to do.

Not surprised they're calling for extreme legislation for this.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

i don't understand it? People prank call the police?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
It's a pretty sick and cowardly thing to do.

Not surprised they're calling for extreme legislation for this.

Really!

It's not the militarization of police that is out of place here? Or the removal of spanking from the family?

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

i don't understand it? People prank call the police?

I hear that a lot.
Spend the 9 minutes with the first video "top 10 swatted".

I don't want to explain how to do it in the open like this, because one 13 year old is in jail already for doing it. It's that easy.

But most the people I know have figured out how it is done, by subtle things in the first video.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

SWAT teams have been around forever...
& they've always been militarised.

To be honest I think there is two different subjects here...
I thought you wanted to discuss the Senators plans.

link   

Oh i watched it, but errr I have no idea on anything to do with gaming. I'll slink away clueless still!

link   
I don't see anything wrong with making it a federal crime. With the way police are today, it could very well lead to someone being killed. It definitely goes way beyond joke level.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

SWAT teams have been around forever...
& they've always been militarised.

To be honest I think there is two different subjects here...
I thought you wanted to discuss the Senators plans.

Ok. Shall we?
    1. Isn't wire fraud already a federal offence.
    2. Isn't filing a false police report ... already a crime.

Could this just be another case of some old person throwing legislation at something they don't understand and fear?

Mike Grouchy

p.s. why do we have militarized police again?

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

It's a little complicated for sure...

Basically it's to do with online gaming, the same as regular gaming but instead of facing just the game, it's a collaboration or competitive game with many people worldwide and cameras...

Long and short of it, swatting is when one of those gamers "pranks" another by setting them up to be raided, but usually with extreme fabrications which lead to a live viewing of someone's house being raided by SWAT teams.

Ultimately, a recipe for disaster.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Great explanation!

Or as Boogie2988 said "they do it for the lulz."

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

Oh i watched it, but errr I have no idea on anything to do with gaming. I'll slink away clueless still!

It's simple and it's not a secret. Person-A plays a game live and anyone on the internet can watch it. Some moron, let's call him moron-Z, calls the cops and gives them the address and name of person-A and tells them that something very bad is going to happen. And voila, person-A who is just playing a game and broadcasting it live receives a swat team at home and moron-Z can watch it happening live. That's why it's called "swatting".
edit on 29-6-2015 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
It's simple and it's not a secret. Person-A plays a game live and anyone on the internet can watch it. Some moron, let's call him moron-Z, calls the cops and gives them the address and name of person-A and tells them that something very bad is going to happen. And voila, person-A who is just playing a game and broadcasting it live receives a swat team at home and moron-Z can watch it happening live. That's why it's called "swatting".

Thank you for leaving out the key secret that actually brings the 'swat' and not just 'the police' to the house in question.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

That's true, they are already crimes...
As are slander and endangerment...

So I'm wondering is it a case of easing up the court process and conviction attempt...

What's more tax payer friendly, as well as beneficial for the prosecutor...
4 charges, or 1 charge?

As for militarised police, I can't really say...
But I also wouldn't use SWAT teams as an example of an all round attempt at militarising law enforcement either.

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
What a big waste of resources. Even swatting for folks venting or just speaking their minds (which is called a false positive) If they were truly militarily or federally trained they would know how to spot false positives.

Unfortunately its called a $y$tem and generally $y$tems are based on Hegelian Dialectics....The ends justifies the means. You probably heard the term "Job Security" right?

Sad.

Hopefully Schumer can get something on the books regarding frivolous REPORTING what citizens deem as threats. If anyone knows about what Brownshirt Behavior is about it would be Mr Schumer....sure he had family in Nazi Germany. #s gotta slow down... Its getting retarded.
edit on 29-6-2015 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Gotcha, good explanation for the uninitiated
I didn't know people watched games as an online audience. and thanks for not making me feel like Moron Z

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join