It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The state of the American mind: Anti-intellectualism in America 25 years after Allan Bloom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Ok, I realize there is an anti intellectual thread already. I start this thread because this has nothing to do with Charleston and the Confederate flag and the direction of conversation is totally separate.

The video starts with a discussion on IQ and critical thinking. Now I don't believe that IQ test are a basis for measuring intelligence because of the diverse range of frequencies we experience intelligence through such as, building intelligence, art intelligence, math intelligence, fighting intelligence, and so on and so forth. Our modern IQ test are limited in this fashion.

About 30 minutes into the video they begin talking about biblical illiteracy in modern American culture and how that impacts the perspective of the new generation in regards to understanding Americans origins and history such as the civil rights movement and the civil war. I totally agree with the sentiment of the speaker

Later on in the video they get into entitlements and dealing with poverty and need. This topic is incredibly hard to tackle. Its hard to understand with a real perspective due to the state of our economy and culture. We are dealing with technological evolution that is rapidly outpacing our economy and culture. They don't however point out the growing income inequality and lack of purchasing power or degradation of the middle class. As academics I would expect this perspective though as they live in a bubble. They talk about how much of our money goes to social programs but leaves out how much of our economy has crumbled due to poorly thought out and outdated international trade policy.

He does however bring up an interesting topic. The topic of men exiting the workforce. I believe this is due to the fact that manufacturing jobs and construction jobs are now diamonds. Also I believe there has been an anti masculine movement gaining momentum in the US for many years. Essentially men are turning into women, quiet literally. Scarily he makes honest comparisons to the state of Greece.

####snipped####

edit on 6/25/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/25/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jun 26 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: off topic material removed

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Your vid didn't embed . post a link or try again

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Fixed thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Very interesting discussion with some surprises .I fear that the last speakers points may be fuel for the climate change gang to find a relationship to increase levels of CO2 to narcissism lol thanks for the post .

(post by MileyHeilman removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join