It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noah didn't retire, so neither should you!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Sometimes I run across stories so insanely unbelievable, I simply have to share them with ATS. In this case, a guy running for the governor of Montana doesn't think people should retire -- why? Because it's not in the Bible.

Noah From The Bible Didn't Retire, So This Likley GOP Gubernatorial Candidate Doesn't See Why You Should

WASHINGTON -- Greg Gianforte, a multi-millionaire tech entrepreneur who is "seriously considering" challenging Montana Gov. Steve Bullock (D) in 2016, doesn't believe he has to divorce his Christian faith from his professional life.

In a February talk at the Montana Bible College about how to find "godly purpose" in work, Gianforte explained why retirement isn't consistent with biblical teachings.

"There's nothing in the Bible that talks about retirement. And yet it's been an accepted concept in our culture today," he said. "Nowhere does it say, 'Well, he was a good and faithful servant, so he went to the beach.' It doesn't say that anywhere."

"The example I think of is Noah," he continued. "How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600. He wasn't like, cashing Social Security checks, he wasn't hanging out, he was working. So, I think we have an obligation to work. The role we have in work may change over time, but the concept of retirement is not biblical."

What? This guy ins't just some strange outsider it would appear. He has A LOT of money. I'm sorry, but at a certain age I think that people ought to be able to stay home and enjoy their twilight years in peace and comfort.

Sure, it's important to stay active in retirement -- but that doesn't mean you have to work a 9-5 career. With today's technology moving at such a rapid pace, aging people's brains are finding it increasingly difficult to keep up. I know this first hand, as I often times have to take time out of my day to explain how a new program or system works to someone 55+.

And, it isn't as if these people haven't been saving and planning to do this anyway from an early age. Most people that retire hedge their bets on being able to do so, and put money aside for it. It isn't like they wake up one day and decide, "OK, I'm done working now. I'm just going to sit home from now on".

We honestly consider electing people like this? This guy even supported a "creation museum" :

Through his family's foundation, Gianforte has also supported a Montana creation museum that calls itself the "largest dinosaur and fossil museum in the United States to present its fossils in the context of biblical creation." The museum promotes the belief that dinosaurs and people lived on Earth together before the biblical flood and that the planet is 6,000 years old.

I used to live in Montana, and I fear for some of my friends that still do...

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, Noah didn't live in a house or drive a car either -- so I guess I shouldn't do those things either.

I wonder if this guy leads by example and lives in a tent, and rides beasts of burden (mules, donkeys, camels) around instead of driving a fancy car?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
By the time the banks get done with the pension funds that the baby boomers have worked so hard to contribute to ,he just may have a point in one sense .I retired a few years back to allow me to do the reading and studying I passed up to get into the work force .

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That's fine. Stop taking money out of my paychecks with the promise that I can have it when I do retire then.

You can't take it away with one hand and then try to condemn someone for wanting to use it the way you promised they could when you took it in the first place.

Being a career politician isn't considered work either IMO. They are pretty much retired when they start...
edit on 6/9/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I wonder if he checked his sources...

The Lord said to Moses, “This applies to the Levites: Men twenty-five years old or more shall come to take part in the work at the Tent of Meeting, but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer. They may assist their brothers in performing their duties at the Tent of Meeting, but they themselves must not do the work.”

Source

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
When someone can figure out how to keep me alive until I'm 600, like Noah, I think I'll plan for retirement at 60 instead.

This is just another way to propagate the idea that we need to be good little worker bees and keep working till we drop so that the people with money can make even more.

If you do want to retire, well that's just an abomination to god, right?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I don't recall exactly but, didn't he plant a vineyard and get drunk?

Maybe that is what type of "retirement" he is alluding too...

I could plant a vineyard when I retire and call it "not retiring"...

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Still fighting slavery..
In this day and age.

one day.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
As it stands right now ?

I'd rather have Noah as Potus.

Sure better than Sanders,Clinton, and the GOPers MSM is talking about.

Noah?

The worlds first 'prepper', and truly put his money where his mouth is about 'self' reliance.

Built an ark!

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
My thing is, how can this guy even be a viable candidate? Oh....wait, that's right -- money.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I wonder if he checked his sources...

The Lord said to Moses, “This applies to the Levites: Men twenty-five years old or more shall come to take part in the work at the Tent of Meeting, but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer. They may assist their brothers in performing their duties at the Tent of Meeting, but they themselves must not do the work.”

Source

The Lord said to Moses, “This applies to the Levites: Men twenty-five years old or more shall come to take part in the work at the Tent of Meeting, but at the age of fifty, they must retire from their regular service and work no longer. They may assist their brothers in performing their duties at the Tent of Meeting, but they themselves must not do the work.

You stole my thunder, BH.

edit on 6/9/2015 by Klassified because: add quote

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
My thing is, how can this guy even be a viable candidate? Oh....wait, that's right -- money.

I said the same thing about Sanders,Warren,Clinton,Jeb Bush, and Rick Perry,Christie.

First mistake is thinking the American public has any common sense.

It doesn't, and it is American politics.

Sanity left it long time ago, if it ever had any.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

If Hillary can try it then I guess it's open for anyone .

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
How old was Noah when he built the ark? 600.

Troll level 1000.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Well, I guess that people shouldn't eat potatoes or tomatoes either then. They're not in the book. Just goes to show what kind of dumb people are out there.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Noah didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn, sh$t, shower and shave, choke down a bowl of some kind of factory made flakes and processed milk, drive an hour in bumper to bumper traffic to spend eight hours in a cube and miss his loved ones every second of that long eight hours. No, Noah had a big boat and loved ones always around.
edit on 9-6-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Seeing as the average lifespan during biblical times was about 30-35 (not counting the ridiculous biblical claims of dudes living to be 600 years old), yeah, that also gives 'retirement age' a whole new perspective.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The population of Montana is 1,024,000.

And THIS is the best they can do?

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

That's easy for a politician to say.

All they do is spend their afternoons hobknobbing and inhaling copious amounts of liquid lunches.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I said the same thing about Sanders,Warren,Clinton,Jeb Bush, and Rick Perry,Christie.

Don't know why you keep including Sanders in there and leaving out all the other GOPers. Everyone on both sides other than Sanders is taking in Big Money. Sanders is the only one who is refusing SuperPAC money as well. Everyone else is in someone's pocket but him. Warren isn't even running either so why you throw her name in there is also a mystery. You need to get your facts straight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join