It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ayn Rand's Influence on the 21st Century

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I suggest reading a biography of her first. It helps explain where her thinking comes from.

She is a completely self- absorbed, self-centered, narcissistic.

Who collected her Social Security under her married name.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You must not be very aware of the Internet climate in general if you missed this.

WHAT? !!!!! HOW can you say this?
I think you're just panty-twisted. You know damn well that I am aware of the "Internet climate in general."

Yellow flag on the field! TOTALLY unwarranted and unfair.
Lame.
Fail.
Intellectual and dialogue and open-mindedness fail.
POST FAIL.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, I don't think there are very many who agree with some of the things Rand says who go full to the hilt into her camp.

But than again, I've been known to agree on occasion with Bill Maher too. Does that make me a ... whatever it is that Bill Maher is?

People can agree on some things another person says without agreeing completely with them. Liberal Catholics do it with the Pope all the time.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yep! Over the last two days, just with surfing around and reading and taking this course - I've been introduced to her philosophy....she was, in my opinion....well, "icky". Awful. Damaged and horrible.
Crazy, brilliant, eloquent/loquacious, and .........icky. (Not to mention WRONG - but who am I to judge?)

edit on 5/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Annee
I suggest reading a biography of her first. It helps explain where her thinking comes from.

Who collected her Social Security under her married name.

She denied tobacco caused lung cancer, she was a smoker who ended up getting cancer then she signed up and got both social security and medicare.

link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Besides all that, "literary appreciation, analysis, and study" is difficult. For real literature comprehension, one has to have a broad Liberal Arts background and exposure to "the classics". How many centuries now have people been "analyzing" what Shakespeare was talking about?
Or, "The Bible" - ????

Agreed. She is not an easy person to read at times and to have people ignore her other works, both written non-fiction and spoken, does not permit them to accurately analyze her in complete context.

Hate to sound like a snob...

Oh, stop. I saw you drinking your double, skim, chai-latte, herbal, sustainable green tea infusion with your pinky firmly thrust outwards.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, stop. I saw you drinking your double, skim, chai-latte, herbal, sustainable green tea infusion with your pinky firmly thrust outwards.

Have you hacked my webcam????

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
But than again, I've been known to agree on occasion with Bill Maher too. Does that make me a ... whatever it is that Bill Maher is?

No, not at all, I agree with Maher, Rand and others depending on the subject and context. However Rand does inspire a very fanatical following which contains many persons who are not completely aware of what she stands for on all topics.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Have you hacked my webcam????

Well, us Masons do have that pretty much under control.

Just sayin'.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

1. In a 1-on-1 game, however, Jordan would have beaten anyone he went against. Objectivism, as you say, looked to remove the team and highlight the individual... which works, assuming it is applied across the board. Obviously, Jordan wouldn't have done well alone against a team.

2. Rand Paul wasn't named after Ayn Rand at all. His name is Randal. Rand is just a shortening of that.

3. We're at loggerheads here. You say we would see a disaster, I say we're seeing a disaster now. One of us may be right, one may be wrong. Those of us who see the present as a disaster are willing to roll the dice for the best shot at getting out of the disaster. I hope after 2016 we can find out which one of us was wrong. (If it's me, I'll buy you a Coke.)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I think he was talking about me, Heff. I'm busted.
*pushes spectacles up nose indignantly and sips a Starbucks*

LOL!!!!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

You must not be very aware of the Internet climate in general if you missed this.

WHAT? !!!!! HOW can you say this?
I think you're just panty-twisted. You know damn well that I am aware of the "Internet climate in general."

Yellow flag on the field! TOTALLY unwarranted and unfair.
Lame.
Fail.
Intellectual and dialogue and open-mindedness fail.
POST FAIL.

Then how else did you mistake a general comment on the state of the web in general as a personal attack on you? Every time Rand comes up ANYWHERE on the Internet those comments Olaru posted come out. It is pretty much impossible to not see them. It's more or less like Godwin's Law.
edit on 26-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

For all you know, it was me.

link   

Then how else did you mistake a general comment on the state of the web in general as a personal attack on you?

Erm, because you said "you"?????

Which I read as "you Progressives". "You people", that sort of thing. "You, BuzzyWigs must not be aware of the internet climate."

It's condescending, insulting, wrong, and rude.

link   

For real literature comprehension, one has to have a broad Liberal Arts background and exposure to "the classics".

...and I could just as easily say that to have real economic comprehension, one has to have an educational background in macro-economics.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

..and I could just as easily say that to have real economic comprehension, one has to have an educational background in macro-economics.

....and you would be exactly right!

I don't have much of a background in economics. I have a background in the Humanities. Economics of some sort or another was a 'requisite' when I was in undergrad school. I took Political Science and International Business Politics to satisfy the requirements to graduate.

I'm starting to learn about it now, though, over the last 5 years. About the stock market, business admin, etc.
Quite a steep learning curve!!

Kind of like studying the Humanities.
One of my current beefs is that students aren't getting a broad Liberal Arts background, they're not learning "Western Civ" or "Literature Appreciation", or "Music Theory" or "Anthropology" anymore.
They enroll at fancy-pants universities and can 'declare their major' at the same time they are booking a dorm room

I think youths need a broad education, not just Vo-Tech on steroids.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Then how else did you mistake a general comment on the state of the web in general as a personal attack on you?

Erm, because you said "you"?????

Which I read as "you Progressives". "You people", that sort of thing. "You, BuzzyWigs must not be aware of the internet climate."

It's condescending, insulting, wrong, and rude.

So you are guilty of using those memes? I hope not. They are shallow and generally poorly thought out.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
For all you know, it was me.

You struck me as more of a black coffee with a quadruple shot of espresso type.

And make it a double.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Actually coffee by itself is not to my taste. Usually, I'm a tea drinker, strong and black or green. But when I hit Starbucks (or a small coffee shop), it's a triple mocha with cinnamon dulce.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You wont' find me taking that bet. What we have now is the same program we've had since Reagan. Nothing has changed and the same cabal is still in charge. The "behind the scenes" names are exactly the same as they have been for decades. We've fallen for the illusion of choice.

That's the part I find most ironic in all of it. Everything we all fight about traces back to "supply side economics" - and as we in-fight and blame one another? The few who have been benefiting for 30 years continue to do so, unabated.

In my opinion we will see a real rise in the issues after Obama leaves office. I personally think a Tea Party darling will become the next POTUS. But even if Hillary wins? She's still one of the insiders who has been there forever and she is still very much status-quo.

The post Obama world will, IMO, see the final death blows to the middle class and then, hopefully, the dialogue will leave the realms of the blame game and idealism and merge into something more fruitful - like finding solutions.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join