It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arcturus BioCloud/Genetically Modify Your Own Frankenbugs, No Lab Necessary

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   

We often think of bacteria as something bad, but switch a few genes here and there and they have the possibility to detect cancer, prevent mosquitos from transmitting Malaria or produce diesel fuel.

But It takes a specialized lab with the proper equipment and a team of programmers running code on machines to genetically modify microorganisms. While academics have these sorts of resources at their disposal, the average biotech enthusiast with an idea doesn’t usually have that kind of access.

Arcturus BioCloud is a biotechnology startup on the outskirts of San Francisco that hopes to give science hobbyists the ability to gene splice their way to super bacteria with a few clicks on their laptop.

“You don’t need a lab,” Co-founder Jaime Solomayor said of the Arcturus platform. That’s because his team has created a lab in the cloud that will do the work for you with a combination of robotics, artificially intelligent software, and synthetic biology.

Source

Arcturus BioCloud

Here is a way to do serious work on developing and conducting serious genetic research.

In a way it could create opportunities for those so inclined as YouTube has made for singers and musicians.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Well there it is!

Thoughts?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lgbtlivesmatter

Can you elaborate upon what you mean by that?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Theres internet projects that are tapping into "Gamer" mentality... theyve made it a game to splice RNA AND DNA, create new forms of life with a cute software inface. The winners of which actually get made!

Its a big Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) job if you ask me, programming people thats it ok to muck with nature in this way.

Hmm... potentially good - potentially HOLY CRAP!

also why pay for research teams, when gamers will crunch data for you

sources:

www.pbs.org...
eterna.cmu.edu...

edit on 24-5-2015 by Z77ZABCD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Z77ZABCD

The balance of scientific evidence reveals NLP to be a largely discredited pseudoscience. Scientific reviews show it contains numerous factual errors,[14][16] and fails to produce the results asserted by proponents.[17][18]

Source

Are you seriously suggesting NLP actually works?

The technology of the Internet is what is making this possible.

As far as it potentiating a threat that is as absurd as your citation of NLP.

Any thoughts?
edit on 24-5-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
hi... NLP has been around for many years. It whats advertising is based on... triggering your desires, causing you to act. But who creates these desires in the first place? what makes things socially aacceptable? the media of course. Tell-u-a-vision programming.

News headlines is another. Most headlines have mixed messages. For example "Killers from tabbago, killed 36 at a pizza restaunt in beverly hills" ... said quickly you brain becomes consciously aware of the last bit and questions === kills 36 and where ?... yet in doing so your subconscious accepts the first statement. That there are killers from tabbago. This is how society is conditioned into believing a certain country and its people are a "threat".

Havent you noticed that news stories have text, voice, images... you can only hold your conscious attention on so much, the other information leaks in subconsciously, thats the whole point.

Also- these NLP courses - Some use it to influence people during conversation. Dan brown for example.

I used NLP in the comments above as an easy way to explain programming society. I reiterate that creating software for gamers, who are on the whole our younger generation, is a good way of manipulating them into believing its ok to muck with nature. I dont need to defend my position as to why i feel its mucking with nature, its my opinion.

And yes i believe that NLP works. Used in a good way to help people get over fobias and addictions is a good thing.

Just because you can quote a source doesnt mean that makes it a fact, its only an opinion of the writer. Theres plenty of people i know whos gained so much from a good hearted NLP practitioner.

hope that explains things.

a reply to: Kashai

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Actually one can get a MA or PHD in Consumer Psychology and that's been round for much longer than NLP.

I mean if you want to apply for a job like that a background in NLP on your resume, seriously will not even get you past security.

The emphasis with respect to the field is statistical analysis not magic tricks.

NLP originally was practiced by Magicians and I should know I am old enough to remember when it first came out.

What kind of background do you have in Psychology or Genetics for that matter?

Any thoughts?
edit on 24-5-2015 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Kashai ... ive given my thoughts and opinions above.

I dont mean to offend. I have no wish to assert or explain my position.

With respect

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

The poster you're replying to seems to have valid thoughts

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I do not mean to offend you either friend.

I am just pointing out something that I hope you can understand.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

I do not mean to offend you either friend.

I am just pointing out something that I hope you can understand.

And yet none of this has anything to do w your op and is just an attempt to try and assert your own self perceived superiority .

You really did nothing to dispel or disprove anything he said in regards to the OP

He made an intelligent response and hypothesis and you attacked him for no reason

Any Thoughts?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
ok thats cool, thank you.

Have you any thoughts about what ive written so far? - and my explainations?

If youd like to comment, that would be apprecaited.

"The emphasis with respect to the field is statistical analysis not magic tricks" ... are you of the opinion then that NLP is a magic trick? im trying to comprehend what you wrote. Its clearly not a magic trick in definition. Its social and behavioural programming... using visualisation and social skills... The closest definition which shares similarities would be conscious hypnotism.

when you say "statistical analysis" are you absolultey sure the ones doing it are not bias? chemcorp has its own interests at heart. Having someone coach you verbally doesnt make chemcorp rich. Also by saying NLP doesnt work, then youd have to include every phycologists in the report as its basically the same thing. On the other hand, i have direct experience that 4 of my friends benefitted from a session.

NLP isnt inherently bad, its who is using it and for what reason.

Back to the original post in a bit... Im sure people will be wanting to talk about youre original post.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

So the intent of your original post, was it to assert that crowd sourcing people ... with a view to manipulate the building blocks of life is a good thing?

I suppose, if we must do this as a species, then the benefits of crowd sourcing means that at least those participating in it are partaking in some form of group karma.

I still say that its making this type of thing socially acceptable.

For instance athletes at the Paralympics, who are using technology as limbs, and having them positioned as "heros" ... is a good way of making it socially acceptable to have technology implants.

For me, speaking on an intuitive level, theres nothing wrong with science (knowledge) or chemcorp - just knowing we can do something, doesnt mean we should. Science used in harmony with nature, shows integrity.

Nature has been around for billions of years, and perhaps we are supposed to wain eventually. Nature has checks and balances in place, and mucking with it makes things worse. Anyway... theres i go, getting into explaining my position when i stated i didnt need to defend myself haha.

love peace... and so much love readers

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When one talks about a person who is suffering from a mental illness be it a psychosis, neurosis or personality disorder, the problem is with really bad experiences. I do not want to go into gory details but essentially these experiences are so bad that even in the case of shock therapy these memories are only temporarily affected. Long term therapy works towards helping the patient develop new coping mechanisms that over time can be effective as a result of developing neural connections that allow the patient to overcome the stressor that resulted in their symptoms and diagnosis.

One cannot apply NLP as if as often suggested as a treatment for say for example a rape victim or someone with PTSD due to the fact, he or she was a soldier and was forced to kill a 5 year old child carrying a bomb.

NLP is often touted as akin to using words like a key board to a computer and that is not realistic is terms of changing someone's mind.

In relation to treating a disease like cancer yes sugar pills can work but in relation to mental health. The issues of treatment involve overcoming years of experiences that are unable to cope.

In relation to consumer psychology the point is to make a product attractive to the consumer. As such its not merely addressing a specific person but millions of people who are all different in relation to taste's and personality.

Bias is always an inherent problem in science but ultimately the issue is whether or not what is being sold is worth it.

Consider the Trane Air Conditioning commercial where they drop thing on an outdoor AC unit and state "No one can stop a Trane". The point psychologically is to get people to relate Trane A/C's to "Trains" and statistical analysis. Presents apparently that doing so gets folks to relate those two words when considering buying a new Central A/C.

Consumer Psychologists are paid to make a products look good, that is correct. But consider how the fast food industry has declined as consumers want healthier foods?

In terms of day to day problems that are common there are essentially inherent to the brain way to fix itself and a good example of that is the death, through natural causes of a loved one. As long as the person in question has not had other issues in the past the "five stages of grieving" apply and they will recover.

I sounds like you have a great interest in the field and in general and that is good to hear but convincing someone to do something despite what they believe is very difficult.

It sounds like your a good person and friend. The field needs individuals like you.

PS: so for your info, the "five stages of grieving", can be applied towards helping most people deal with common problems.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Z77ZABCD

So the intent of your original post, was it to assert that crowd sourcing people ... with a view to manipulate the building blocks of life is a good thing?

I suppose, if we must do this as a species, then the benefits of crowd sourcing means that at least those participating in it are partaking in some form of group karma.

I still say that its making this type of thing socially acceptable.

For instance athletes at the Paralympics, who are using technology as limbs, and having them positioned as "heros" ... is a good way of making it socially acceptable to have technology implants.

For me, speaking on an intuitive level, theres nothing wrong with science (knowledge) or chemcorp - just knowing we can do something, doesnt mean we should. Science used in harmony with nature, shows integrity.

Nature has been around for billions of years, and perhaps we are supposed to wain eventually. Nature has checks and balances in place, and mucking with it makes things worse. Anyway... theres i go, getting into explaining my position when i stated i didnt need to defend myself haha.

love peace... and so much love readers

150 years ago the average life span was about 49 years old, today in general its about 75 all because science has been interfering with nature. I understand it is a double edged sword when it comes to technology but in my experiences there is more to us than meets the eye. No one is going to be able to use this to make something dangerous but it does give an opportunity for those so inclined to explore their own potential.

Fear is a healthy a behavior as an increase in body temperature alerts on to a fever. Nonetheless survival inherently relates to expansion and without that is decline.

A healthy society moves forward pervasively and often the frame of a willingness to take chances upon humanity is what has allowed for our progress to date.

It is not an issue of trusting authority but rather the extent when can hold them to there word and that often sits firmly upon those who stand up for what they believe in.

To concur ones fears of something one needs to understand it.

The human condition in general today cannot be managed using current technology so need to advance.

Starvation, pollution, diseases that today are incurable and the lack of recourses on Earth are examples.

The OP is applicable to the matter of education more than any thing else in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Historically it is Stagnation that has resulted in the demise of societies while Progression is a sure indication of survival.

Very relevant to the human condition.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Now this thread is all about a 'startup', its only taking Ideas and Money right now.
If you think the whole of society is "healthy" I will chuckle.
Example; This Startup is offering things the 'All Knowing Government" Doesn't. Does that not sound more susceptible to Abuse?!

You bring up a "double edged sword" Basically Live life, or live. I"ll Live my life, thanks

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: P-M-H

Of course technology is a double edged sword that is obvious but in retrospect. Historically technological developments have for the most part nothing to do with governments, rather an individual or group inspired to resolve a problem has been the case.

Governments are good at considering what is known and taking it to the "Nth level".

You may feel very comfortable and at ease in your current situation but how would you feel today if you had been born in Calcutta or Somalia?

Humans can survive by eating twice a week and with access to a gallon of clean water allotted for three days.

Developmentally though as far as having your advantages intellectually forget it.

You may feel your life is fine but this still is one planet despite claims otherwise.

In context a way of defining the "Cloud", is as a public domain and relatable to the Internet, in perpetuity.

Abuse is a social issue and addressing it at is core requires an open mind, beyond the pale.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Im going to post my original reply to you, as its an honest reaction i was having. Hopefully my responses can be used by you as a way to monitor your communication skills and the effect that you may or may not be having on others. I really hope so.

“These experiences are so bad that even in the case of shock therapy these memories are only temporarily affected. Long term therapy works towards helping the patient develop new coping mechanisms that over time can be effective as a result of developing neural connections that allow the patient to overcome the stressor that resulted in their symptoms and diagnosis.” I can see where youre coming from by that statement. Im assuming you see people in terms of a machine that needs to be manipulated. Your stance is not very heart felt in my opinion. Perhaps, id like to suggest, cultivating empathy to an equal degree may also help your patients. I for one totally back practitioners who empathise. Every entrenched trauma can eventually be unwound by nothing more than counselling – which is words. I should know as I have a history in the military, and those i choose to associate with. Direct experience! ... as for developing neural connections, youre describing a mechanical process which is an effect of the former.

“One cannot apply NLP ... as a treatment for say for example a rape victim etc” This shows your lack of understanding. Id suggest you research NLP more, or even attend a session for direct experience. Im not one for being evangelistic about NLP, i dont care for it much. Im just going to maintain my opinion that it is effective even for the things you are suggesting as examples. Your opinion is based on assumptions, nothing more, because you haven’t exposed yourself to it to get direct experience. All that is left for us is strong opinions in opposition. So lets agree to disagree soon please.

“NLP is often touted as akin to using words like a key board to a computer and that is not realistic is terms of changing someone's mind.” thats also an assumption of yours. Not a fact.

“ ... Trane Air Conditioning commercial ... apparently that doing so gets folks to relate those two words when considering buying a new Central A/C.” ... and ... . “Consumer Psychologists are paid to make a products look good, that is correct” Ok so it appears you agree with my earlier hypothesis then. That the media is rife with NLP – meaning manipulating the masses.

“But consider how the fast food industry has declined as consumers want healthier foods?” ?, apps, monitoring, heal foods, gyms all products that take up the slack. All commercial enterprise. Thats like saying i bought ice cream yesterday, and a CD today. Both use money, which is linked to commerce. And whos shaping those trends? What gives people the ideas to talk and think about? What informs emotional relationships?

“In terms of day to day problems that are common there are essentially inherent to the brain way to fix itself and a good example of that is the death ... As long as the person in question has not had other issues in the past the "five stages of grieving" apply and they will recover.” I find this statement unsettling... you are saying brain and not person. Im owning my personal reaction to what youve just said, its just tweaked me a bit. This is because everyone in my opinion is an individual, and as such theres no guide or stages to the grieving process. Everyone experiences it in their own way. Youve stated as much above that people are individuals. Its false to try and “get” someone to heal themselves, otherwise this turns into abuse. With grieving, i feel youre not supposed to ever get over it!, ... but there is a way to just accept situations as they are and make it part of your lifes story with less emotional intensity. Eventually the triggers of remembering the loss or trauma will wain. Its just a daily process of acceptance. If someone can remember the good times then thats good also, helping people to focus on this aspect helps.

The job of a psychologist to me is to support whatever process the patient wants, or identifies for themselves, even offer alternatives. Trying to apply an “all come all serve” attitude to someone grieving sounds too dominating to me. As if the psychologist is positioning themselves as the authority figure, instead of a guide for that person. I assume thats the different between a trained psychologist and a spiritual healer.

Something to ponder ... Id suggest looking at grieving as a way to habitually harm oneself with emotional intensity, which is born out of unresolved frustration. Habits have a tendency to become obsessions, which then dominate our every thought. Thoughts activate our emotional reasponses and so the cycle continues, perpetuates and grows. I recon grieving is a habit because people are deriving some form of emotional satisfaction from it. Its ok to have this for a while, just not get “alcoholic” about it. Like any drug... distraction, keeping oneself busy, physical exercise, or being social helps. Eventually the "habit" of grieving wains.

“Convincing someone to do something despite what they believe is very difficult.” ? Scratching head again. Convince? Really? Dont you mean suggest and offer guidance? ... otherwise youre saying your opinion is more correct than theirs? I find this stance unsettling. If you care to explain further perhaps other readers may want to understand.

///

Arcturus BioCloud

“No one is going to be able to use this to make something dangerous” Youve formed and assumption there, how do you know for sure? What evidence do you have to back up your statement please. Or is it just your opinion again?

“it does give an opportunity for those so inclined to explore their own potential. “ yes i can see that, i agree

“Starvation, pollution, diseases that today are incurable and the lack of recourses on Earth are examples.” This is supposition until further evidence is provided. I believe theres plenty to go around, food mountains for example... making it law that supermarkets have a section of out of date food to give away for free to low incomes. I suggest allocation of resources is the key, and also capping maximum wage at say 40million would do the trick. Then any more individual profits should be put to good use for the benefit of society by law. Share basically.

Heres a fact: the whole of the NHS hospitals in the uk can be sorted out completely, if we spent 2 days worth of money that we are giving to the military! ... its our lack of sharing as a species thats the problem. As for diseases, perhaps its natures way of killing us off. And why would that be a bad thing? Because its not our preference?

... applying what you said to something real. I would find it extremely distressing to witness a friend going through end of life preparation because of cancer. And would then wish that technology got involved. I would accept it at that point obviously. But mucking with nature in a way as to splice a lamb with dog together simply because it helps improves the meat is NOT they way to go! Or corn with frog dna, that will eventually get into the countryside with cross pollination. Nanotechnology used to create synthic life forms – golems with no soul essence. Things like this are immoral and lack integrity. Knowing you can is one thing, to keep doing it is another.

cont
edit on 25-5-2015 by Z77ZABCD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
“Progression is a sure indication of survival.” Ok i agree with you. Im not debating against the need for us to progress and to take chances. What i said earlier was once we know we can do something, then we need to ask the question do we actually need to? Sometimes, it appears to me, that scientists have no concept of empathy for what they do, or even question that they should. Karma is going to bite one day. Does anyone here actually trust corporations and their judgement? Its like the head doesnt care what the body is doing. ... and this leads to diminished responsibility. That punch to the face wasnt me, it was my body. Corparations are insane by definition.

Also i find your stance of trying to position yourself as an authority on the subject quite disturbing. Id be more interested in what you feel and think about, and your ideas on the subject. Identifying things as your opinion, would be appreciated.

Also can you explain why you constantly end all your posts with “any thoughts” sounds a bit dyspraxic to me and i feel its quite unnecessary. Distracting even.

///

“It sounds like your a good person and friend. The field needs individuals like you”

ok i shall apologise at this point if im coming across as overly strong, or direct. I have no wish to harm you. I own my personal reactions to your statements as I disagree with some of it and its triggering me because its coming across as authoritative instead of speculative. Id like to take the energy out of this post, and would like to say sorry to you for my harshness in this post. We all have things to share and contribute here. All the best. Hopefully no harm done, as ultimately none was ment.

edit on 25-5-2015 by Z77ZABCD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join