It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukrainian forces says two drones shot down over war zone are Russian

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:05 AM
link   

The first drone was shot down by Aerorozvidka, a special reconnaissance unit of the Ukrainian forces, not far from Luhansk, in eastern Ukraine, on 8 May. A battle ensued over the next two days as Ukrainian troops tried to retrieve the wreckage.

“We knew we had hit something important by the way they were fighting to try to stop us from getting to it,” said Natan Chazin, the commander of the unit.

When they reached the wreckage, the soldiers found four compasses and a triple backup navigation system to ensure the drone was virtually immune to electronic jamming and would always return home unless shot down. The interior metallic plates were stamped with two sets of Israeli markings.

What sprung to my mind was the drones model is supposed to be a copy of an israeli drone.
Why would israel, an american ally, provide hardware to russia?
Of course the drones could be back engineered from stolen plans but what about the israeli markings?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Russia provided hardware to the US. Why would Israel not provide hardware to Russia? There is no indication it was done after the recent escalation.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
Well because if I were the israel government, would not sell anyting to a state(Russia) that arms the state(iran) I am complaining about wanting to kill my kind.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Well because if I were the israel government, would not sell anyting to a state(Russia) that arms the state(iran) I am complaining about wanting to kill my kind.

I would not either. But it's quite possible it was a company, not the Government. Every company in the world would sell to it's host countries worst enemy if it made them money and they thought they could get away with it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I dare to say not every company but you have a point here. But I would expect hardware manufacturer like that would be taken a closer look at their fingertips. However, when does Russia declare war on ukraine? Possibly never as it seems that´s the way big players "play" today.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Its not quite a Sentinel is it...poor Russians.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

I cant believe that thing costs over 6 million $ each (excluding service and such). It looks like something you can string together for 300k€ plus imaging equipment.

Lol even our own from-the-scratch seagull and such didn´t cost that much. It´s a remote controlled bird that optimizes the flight pattern on fly. Mentioned here some times. I wrote that so nobody gets the idea I just pulled the 300k€ from nowhere.
edit on 22-5-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Now there is nothing in the article of this being armed, it is probably a surveillance drone. Everyone seems to believe that having surveillance drones over other countries is allowable these days, The US has them all over the place. I am sure that Russia does too. These usually carry small weapons but not big ones. They are meant to stay in the air for long periods so don't carry much excess weight.

Sounds like a propaganda article that is trying to make people mad at Russia. I bet there are European and American drones flying over there too.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Russia is actually far behind in UAV technology. During the Georgia conflict they deployed several UAVs (they're not drones dammit) that showed a number of vulnerabilities. The upgraded version of one had a payload less than 40 pounds and two hours of flight time.

Starting in 2007 Israel sold Russia several Searcher-II, I-View and Bird Eye 400 UAVs. The Searcher is a Tactical UAV with over 12 hours endurance, the other two are smaller. In 2009 they were reported to have sold three Heron UAVs to them.

The rumor is that in return Russia delayed sales of equipment to Syria and possibly Iran.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I still find it very unsettling that they were selling technology to Russia, even in peace time and before latest conflict escalation. The same technology that can endanger our troops or our own lives in possible conflict(s).

This makes you wonder what other secrets found their way in wrong hands...

edit on 22-5-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Israel actually had some contracts with Russia to supply them with drones. When Russia invaded Ukraine Israel suspended their contract for the remainder of the drones. There was an article sometime back talking about this and how it would force Russia to find a new source, which was unlikely, or start a crash program for their own.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Israel have been caught before selling technology (usually acquired from the West) to the Chinese, so why not the Russians?

Dodgy Israeli's....

edit on 22/5/15 by stumason because: Link no worky

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Unlike the Chinese deal this was a legitimate sale.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

At least they suspended it, as you said, once the whole Ukraine trouble kicked off. Although israel always looks out for Israel first and sod everyone else. Problem is, they can be quite short sighted - Russia is pally with some of their worst enemies and I would not be surprised if further down the line, Israeli derived UAV's made by Russia end up in the hands of one of them.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

They already have a number of Heron UAVs that have been captured. Iran even has a copy of it flying.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ok lesson learned, UAV it is then

Starting in 2007 is -very- late, I think the Predator went 95 into service. And that´s when the machine was tested and ready, not starting getting into biz.
Somehwere I read, it could be while looking for an english source, that ukraine shot down at least 20 UAVs since the crises. Do not have to be russian ones but I think there are not too many nations capable and of interest. Must look for the source, until then consider it hogwash.

P.S: it´s very hard to unlearn that drone word

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Russia was one of several nations that didn't think UAVs were going to be as useful as they turned out to be. Now they're trying to play catch up and have a long way to go. Their production and miniaturization problems don't help.

Yeah it is. Deal with it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Stumason,
thanks for the link, will read it tomorrow. Short sighted is a good framing of the issue

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   

When they reached the wreckage, the soldiers found four compasses and a triple backup navigation system to ensure the drone was virtually immune to electronic jamming and would always return home unless shot down. The interior metallic plates were stamped with two sets of Israeli markings.

A very cleaver ruse, to claim israel provided the weapon to Russia adds credibility and beleiveablity to the claim. I wonder why Ri

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

The first drone was shot down by Aerorozvidka, a special reconnaissance unit of the Ukrainian forces, not far from Luhansk, in eastern Ukraine, on 8 May. A battle ensued over the next two days as Ukrainian troops tried to retrieve the wreckage.

“We knew we had hit something important by the way they were fighting to try to stop us from getting to it,” said Natan Chazin, the commander of the unit.

Very cleaver propaganda technique to claim Israel supplied the weapon to Russia adds credibility and believability to the claim that the drones belonged to Russia.

its well known that Russia has withstood many provocations from the US in this conflict. Russian drones shot down over Ukraine which were supplied by a family 'firend' ? ... sounds like its come straight from the CIA manual to me.

What sprung to my mind was the drones model is supposed to be a copy of an israeli drone.
Why would israel, an american ally, provide hardware to russia?
Of course the drones could be back engineered from stolen plans but what about the israeli markings?

<<   2 >>

join