It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autoplay Videos when Opening Threads - NOT COOL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I just clicked on this thread:

(Warning: it auto plays at max volume of the video. Even though my computer volume is currently low - I was blasted by music.)

ATS Thread

This resulted in me having a panic and rushing to hit the stop button. In addition, the audio began a second before the video loaded, so I couldn't even see the play/stop button right off the bat.

Since I am the only person awake in my house right now - this was not cool. I suppose a person surrounded by co-workers would also find this not cool.

How about we turn the auto play crap off? I'm quite sure I am not the only poster who hates auto play with a passion and would appreciate it being off. I will not be able to view Jesse Ventura threads in the future if I believe that I will be blasted through no choice of my own when attempting to read the thread.

Thanks for your consideration.

Other members please flag this up if you agree with NO AUTO PLAY - thanks.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I simply just don't click on Jessie's threads because of this.

Some of us don't have unlimited bandwidth.. each mb costs me dearly.

and it's just rude..

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xarian6
I simply just don't click on Jessie's threads because of this.

Some of us don't have unlimited bandwidth.. each mb costs me dearly.

and it's just rude..

Well, that's another excellent point! Not all folks have unlimited.

I've had unlimited for so long I didn't even consider this, thank you for bringing it up.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

I flagged this thread! I'd star it too if it were allowed! so here is one for You! * LOL!! I agree the autoplay is rude and unsetteling at times...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
It made chrome hang up when i opened it.

Never mind, JV's assistant's threads are hardly unmissable.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
I just clicked on this thread:

(Warning: it auto plays at max volume of the video. Even though my computer volume is currently low - I was blasted by music.)

ATS Thread

This resulted in me having a panic and rushing to hit the stop button. In addition, the audio began a second before the video loaded, so I couldn't even see the play/stop button right off the bat.

Since I am the only person awake in my house right now - this was not cool. I suppose a person surrounded by co-workers would also find this not cool.

How about we turn the auto play crap off? I'm quite sure I am not the only poster who hates auto play with a passion and would appreciate it being off. I will not be able to view Jesse Ventura threads in the future if I believe that I will be blasted through no choice of my own when attempting to read the thread.

Thanks for your consideration.

Other members please flag this up if you agree with NO AUTO PLAY - thanks.

I agree, this is simply people inflicting themselves on others in a dont-giva- pck manner and frankly I do not know why the owners accept it. Do the mods and the owners consider us to be nothing more just stupid marketing receptacles?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

You have a bigger problem than annoying sound you didn't want; your computer is probably not secure.

It's not just an ATS issue...anything that auto-plays from any site is annoying to me, but it's also a security issue. Fortunately there's a simple solution, because most of them use flash. There are browser add-ons that will replace flash objects with a button that you have to click to play. I think that also might be an improvement in security given how the history of flash has been plagued with security issues.

I doubt even the current version of Flash is secure because in a few weeks I expect to get another update notice saying the previous version of flash has security issues (meaning the current version as of now), so we all need to upgrade. You can read more about some thoughts on the security aspect of auto-play stuff here:

Is Mozilla's Firefox 'click-to-play' feature a sound response to drive-by malware attacks?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I ducked out of that thread for the very same reason. I think it replays aslo which makes it even more annoying if I remember right. I even muted my speakers and it seemed to override it.

I like Jesse but not that much! If I don't seem to have a choice to by pass the video after the first listen, I'm sorry but I will just not bother with the thread.

Weather it's intentional on Jesse's part though I am not sure, this was the first thread of his that I had this problem with and well some people are just so insistent that their marketing crap reaches you they have become very creative in ways to load all kinds of crap onto your computer and make it do weird things. Too bad really, they are taking all the fun out of the internet for some.

If it was intentional well I'm sorry but I see it as quite inconsiderate. I used to be in a position where If I was lucky I could only get at the most four hours sleep during the workweek so it's not beyond my comprehension to think that others might also be struggling by like that. During those four hours you have phone calls that only have recorded messages, or no messages at all, horns blaring, neighbors yelling, and well possibly even people knocking on your door begging for this or that. Do you really want to add family members accidentally having Jesse blaring full blast through their speakers to the list of iratents? There world is iratating enough thank you!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I just get a white screen in the player on those threads, they never play. I cant even click anything to start the video.

I hope that means I am secure.

I use AVG ultimate, paid version, because I am to lazy to do it myself.

I have never had a virus while using AVG, I just get pop ups that say an issue has been dealt with.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Is this a board question thread?

Or a Jesse Ventura hit piece?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I agree. Not cool indeed.

Jesse's vid nearly blasted my speakers out the oter day, I didn't have the time to adjust the volume because of the autoplay.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It may need to encourage JV ranting. I can't ever view his videos either. I too stopped clicking his threads. I'm on a rooted phone so I get no ads. It is however making me feel better that I'm not the only one frustrated with his threads.

Its always the same issues people post about. Fix it!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
It may need to encourage JV ranting. I can't ever view his videos either. I too stopped clicking his threads. I'm on a rooted phone so I get no ads. It is however making me feel better that I'm not the only one frustrated with his threads.

Its always the same issues people post about. Fix it!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
At least you're not vulnerable to drive-by malware using vulnerable versions of flash; Is AVG blocking the auto-play do you think? If it's blocking the auto-play that in my opinion is good, but if it's not giving you the option to go ahead and play it if you want to, that's not so good. So your PC is secure but you have a loss of functionality from what you said.

The video mentioned in the OP doesn't auto-play for me either due to browser add-ons, but I get a "click to play" button so I can click that to play it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

If I go to the www.ora.tv... it auto plays there.

But the embedded OTG videos in ATS threads just have a white screen with NO options.

Weird, I have no other problems with videos anywhere. I'm cool with it.

Thanks for your reply Arbitrageur

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Like on YouTube, I'm wondering if the poster gets payed per view by the broadcaster. If they do this could be a persistent problem.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

In Chrome I have to press 'play' icon.

If I was Jesse Ventura I'd be making my videos autoplay too.

I'm off to watch Running Man.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Yes there are ways to stop videos from auto playing. The thing is, that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops just because a video wants to be intrusive and forces playback. That's a bunch of crap and the reason I turned it off. I think we need to write flash and ask them to turn this stupid feature off. If I want to watch a video, I'LL CLICK ON IT. Don't cram it down our gullets/blow out our speakers/wake sleeping people/scare the crap out of us. It's going to give someone a heart attack one day and that will NOT be good.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
FWIW, Admin has been alerted about this thread....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join