It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm converting my pc to a media center and need suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Ok, all you ATS geeks, computer freaks and digital dataheads, I'm working on a project and I'd like some advice and suggestions.

I'm converting my pc to a media center. I've connected my tv to the computer monitor jack and connected the stereo to the speaker output. I've installed Team Viewer as a remote desktop from my laptop. Everything works fine but there are a couple things I'd like to do to make it great.

One is a media center software that I can use to manage photos, play music and, ideally, be able to add custom links to websites that I frequent like Hulu, Netflix and YouTube. I've tried the default media center in Windows and Kodi (XBMC) but found them to not be able to do what I want. Maybe I expect too much and I'm open to suggestions. Right now, I have shortcuts to everything on my desktop, which works but is not very impressive, if you know what I mean.

Second, I'd like to be able to control the desktop without having to remote into it. I have in mind using my keyboard and mouse from about 10 feet away. If anyone knows of any devices that fit the bill or some device that I could plug my current keyboard and mouse into that would bridge the gap, please let me know and I'll look into it.

All advice and suggestions are welcome

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I'd like to be able to control the desktop without having to remote into it. I have in mind using my keyboard and mouse from about 10 feet away.

For starters, you could use this Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad that gets about 33-foot range:

www.amazon.com...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

YES!!

Now, that's the kind of stuff I'm talkin' about.Thank you!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Just get an internet capable TV! Save yourself time pain and power.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Plex Media Server.

There's a free version and a paid version, I'd get the paid version.

I have it for my home, and one PC is a media center for half a dozen rooms.

~Tenth

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Have you tried tvaddons version of kodi? It already has a lot of thing configured for you.

tvaddons

It is also free to use.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Plex Media Server.

~Tenth

Last time I researched this, Plex was head and shoulders above the competition. That was some years ago tho, and I scrapped my project for other reasons.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: muSSang
Just get an internet capable TV! Save yourself time pain and power.

Not really what I'm looking for. I want to be able to view photos and play my music collection. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
Have you tried tvaddons version of kodi? It already has a lot of thing configured for you.

tvaddons

It is also free to use.

I'll take a look at that one. Thanks.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Plex Media Server.

~Tenth

I did watch some videos about Plex and it does look interesting.

What's the difference between the free and paid versions?
edit on 5/22/2015 by N3k9Ni because: edited for clarity

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

The free version is relatively easy, but the paid version allows you to download the app directly to your consoles either PS4 or Xbox (both 360 and One)

plex.tv...

It also lets you connect remotely from anywhere and see/transfer the content of your media server to other locations.

~Tenth

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

Plex Media Server.

~Tenth

Last time I researched this, Plex was head and shoulders above the competition. That was some years ago tho, and I scrapped my project for other reasons.

OK, that's two votes for Plex. I'll look into that one. Thanks

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

The free version is relatively easy, but the paid version allows you to download the app directly to your consoles either PS4 or Xbox (both 360 and One)

plex.tv...

It also lets you connect remotely from anywhere and see/transfer the content of your media server to other locations.

~Tenth

I'll give Plex a shot. If I can set it up to access my Hulu, Netflix and YouTube accounts, I might spring for the paid version.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

tvaddons

It is also free to use.

Thanks for the great tip
i installed it and it works great

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

There is a small holographic keyboard that shoots a hologram on a table, your lap, sink top etc...that allows you to use it instead of a regular keyboard and mouse. Stand it up, project it down to a flat surface (even curved I think) and it images on say your kitchen counter for you to type on.

I saw them n Michigan at a chain store called BROOKSIDE at around $99.00 U.S.

Also put in something like Chromecast ($35.00) to broadcast YouTube, music, Netflix, Hulu etc from you cellphone, P.C., laptop or tablet or from all of them.***

***YouTube is pretty cool on a 55" big screen H.D. t.v!

posted on Jul, 2 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Flagging this for later as I am actually thinking about doing the same thing. I have a PC that is only a few years old and I'd like to use it as a gaming/media center.

From what little research I've done Plex seems to be the way to go. To manage my games I would use Steam (in big picture mode). I'm not sure if anyone has anything else to add but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Thanks.

top topics

join