It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul filibuster live on the Senate floor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If there is already a thread on this please disregard.

Rand Paul is currently on the Senate floor in a attempt to filibuster the patriot act. I'm shocked that there doesn't appear to be a thread on this. I'm not a major supporter of Paul's but I do support him in this fight.

Dr. Rand Paul
‏@RandPaul
I've just taken the senate floor to begin a filibuster of the Patriot Act renewal. It's time to end the NSA spying!
10:36 AM - 20 May 2015

Here is Alex Jones and a live stream link:

infowars

twitter

washingtonpost
My prayers are with him in this effort.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

It's pretty good, they shelved the Surveillance State Repeal Act (H.R. 1466) and are trying to renew the patriot act as is again.

I don't see Bernie Sanders up there, that's for sure.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The "old ATS" was very much anti-Patriot Act...the "new ATS" seems indifferent.

Re-writing history is the attention getting OP these days.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

It's pretty good, they shelved the Surveillance State Repeal Act (H.R. 1466) and are trying to renew the patriot act as is again.

I don't see Bernie Sanders up there, that's for sure.

Bernie has voted against it every time Including the first time it was passed.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

That is a good point, I forgot about that.

edit on 20-5-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Granite

Someone must have forgotten to tell our members.

Posts containing "Patriot Act" over the past month

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Not an NLBS...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If he ends the spying then a horrific terror attack will take place from failure to detect it and his anti war isolationism will be out the door for another 50 years at least. He is making himself obsolete.

Obama and all the Dems ramrodded health care down our throats yet they kept the Patriot Act hmmm. Could it be they didn't want Pearl Harbor on their watch because it actually works which outweighed the negatives for them?
edit on 20-5-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
If he ends the spying then a horrific terror attack will take place from failure to detect it and his anti war isolationism will be out the door for another 50 years at least. He is making himself obsolete.

Remember that the data collection is and will happen regardless of whether the Patriot Act is repealed or not.

We will not become more safe from invasion of privacy by the federal government, foreign governments, corporations, unions or criminal organizations.

We will just have legal recourse if the data is used in criminal prosecutions.

Just as the digitization and collection of all health information by the federal government is permanent, the damage is done.
edit on 20-5-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I see no one that is for the patriot act on here, we may not all worship the ground paul walks on but that doesn't meant we want the patriot act to stay.

Not an NLBS...

Have they done one that says it isn't so bad?
edit on thWed, 20 May 2015 22:08:17 -0500America/Chicago520151780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

They have lost respect from many members here....correct?

Anti-Christian...check
Pro-LGBT...check
Pro-Liberal...check

Abandoning "Deny Ignorance"...check

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Sen Paul has yielded the floor.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Sounds like you don't support a right to privacy. What other rights are you willing to give up? Also I would support a politician that is anti war rather than support one that pushes for invasions of countries that haven't attacked America so the armchair generals can get their rocks off on how tough America is.

Could it be they didn't want Pearl Harbor on their watch because it actually works which outweighed the negatives for them?

So you don't know we allowed Pearl Harbor to happen? We needed an excuse to get into the war and that was the perfect one. Just like 9/11 was the perfect excuse to start "the war on terror". If it does work then show some proof that it has worked.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

What happened to the old ats? I wanna go there.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
the Constitution states we face 2 threats one is foreign the other domestic. The patriot act was touted to protect us against foreign threats, but is increasingly being used in domestic issues. The domestic threat could also be the government, and in this case the patriot act doesn't protect citizens at all

Paul started his filibuster with this

"There comes to a time in the history of nations when fear and complacency allow power to accumulate and liberty and privacy to suffer," Paul started. "That time is now. And I will not let the Patriot Act, the most un-patriotic of acts, go unchallenged." -Sen Rand Paul
edit on 20-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

This program has stopped 0, and I mean ZERO terror attacks. If there is a terrorist attack in the near future, don't be surprised if it is a FALSE FLAG.

I applaud Rand Paul's efforts but this Constitutional Republic is dead, dead, DEAD. The Constitution is dead,dead, DEAD.

Congress is a bought and paid for CRIMINAL organization that is nothing more than center stage in a 3 ring circus, the oval office is nothing more than a CORRUPT bought and paid for mouthpiece of the syndicate that tells him what to say and do..

Need I say what I think about the Supreme Court?

Our Republic is FUBAR!
edit on 21-5-2015 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

It took a mere 45 days to roll out after 9/11 - pretty big document, pretty comprehensive too, I reckon it took longer than 45 days to pen, but that's beside the point I'm going to make.

I bet $2500 it will take longer than 45 days from today to reverse it - I don't want the $2,500 but will donate it to ATS 45 days from now if it's reversed (correct, I only bet on sure things)

The Patriot Act has some good uses, such as if you run out of toilet paper or you need something to start a camp fire.

Rand Paul is NOT is father and I view this as him putting his ticket on the table for next year - remember, Obama was the Messiah the day he was elected.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
How long winded was Sen Rand Paul? I didn't get a chance to see it, or even hear much about it.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

It was first penned after the Oklahoma city bombing, penned and submitted by a democrat but failed in congress.

I think it was Joe Biden

edit on 21-5-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

If citizens are required to give up privacy, then Public Authorities and Government need to do so as well, and enforce full transparency.

If public authorities are not required full disclosure at any times, invasion of citizen privacy is a direct step towards totalitarian society, and abondoning of democratic principles.

So, dear Congressmen at ATS -> require full transparency and disclosure of any material at public authorities BEFORE tramping on citizen rights and that including privacy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join