It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of my favorite authors: Richard Matheson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hello, ATS. I'd like to tell you about one of my favorite authors. He's Richard Matheson. If you've never heard of him, I'm sure that you've watched a movie or seen a TV show that has been based on his work.
Richard Burton Matheson was born in Allendale, New Jersey on Feb. 20, 1926 and died on June 23, 2013 at his home in Calabasas, Ca.
His first short story was published in his local newspaper, The Brooklyn Eagle, when he was eight years old. His writing career blossomed from there.
Link 1
Link 2

Among the short stories and novels that he wrote that became movies are:Stir of Echoes which is taken from A Stir of Echoes, I Am Omega , I Am Legend (both of which are based on I Am Legend, The Box (from his short story Button, Button), and What Dreams May Come (based on the novel of the same name). He also wrote an episode for Star Trek called The EnemyWithin, as well as episodes for The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Have Gun Will Travel, among many others. Here is a list of things that he has written for or his work that has been made into movies and TV episodes: Here. There are 86 of them.
As you can see, the man had a very busy and productive life. He was very talented and his work speaks for its self.
The next time you're at the library or on Amazon, you might want to check out his work. You might also want to go through the list of movies or shows based on his work and watch those as well. You won't be sorry.
edit on 12-5-2015 by Skid Mark because: Link was wonky

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I read everything of his I could get my hands on about six summers ago. Amazing talent. I refused to see the Will Smith movie...heard they changed the ending. Too many favorites to list.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Great author indeed...ive been kind of looking for something to read. I am currently reading The Man in the High Castle and it is boring me out of my mind. I hope it picks up soon.

Last set of books I read that really were just amazing were The Forever War by Haldeman and Old Man's War by Scalzi...both are sci fi and I enjoyed both better than Henlein who is my goto when I can't find stuff to read.

In the fantasy realm The Lies of Lock Lamora by Lynch may be the most entertaining book i've read in the last decade. I read the whole series straight through and the first 2 are amazing and 3 slackens a bit.

But ya Matheson can do it all...You know im embarassed to say but I never read I am Legend....only saw the movie...maybe ill pick that up next.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockpaperhammock

Great author indeed...ive been kind of looking for something to read. I am currently reading The Man in the High Castle and it is boring me out of my mind. I hope it picks up soon.

Last set of books I read that really were just amazing were The Forever War by Haldeman and Old Man's War by Scalzi...both are sci fi and I enjoyed both better than Henlein who is my goto when I can't find stuff to read.

In the fantasy realm The Lies of Lock Lamora by Lynch may be the most entertaining book i've read in the last decade. I read the whole series straight through and the first 2 are amazing and 3 slackens a bit.

But ya Matheson can do it all...You know im embarassed to say but I never read I am Legend....only saw the movie...maybe ill pick that up next.

If you are interested, I am Legend was first used to make a movie in the early 60s Called the Last man on Earth with Vincent Price. And again later on as "The Omega Man with Heston.

The Forever War stands out on the shelf of great books. Man, the scope of that one and the moral implications were astounding.

Sad about the High Castle. Dick remains in the top five of my sci/fi authors, however, High Castle was not one of my favorites either.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Thank you for the tip...ill check those out...ya Dick is a great story teller...im just not getting into that one for some reason...

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I can't stand the Will Smith movie. I got halfway through it and shut it off.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I haven't read any of the authors that you named. I have to look them up now. Thanks.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

The Last Man on Earth is one of my favorites. Vincent Price pulled it off quite well.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Excellent post..

What Dreams May Come is one of my favorite books to read. Everything about it resonates with me.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Thanks. I like that book, too. I actually had to re read it when I borrowed it from the library. It was so good.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

(Hell House (1971); filmed as The Legend of Hell House)

'Hell House' was and is the only novel (of his) that I have read. Excellent movie as well.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchangelOger

I haven't read Hell House but saw the movie for it. So, that's something else that I have to read.

top topics

join