It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How those "environmentalist" celebs are helping California's drought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Barbara Streisand -

Barbra Streisand — the lefty diva who’s lectured fellow Californians and even US Presidents on energy conservation — seems oblivious to the fact the Golden State is turning into a dried-out raisin. Her pampered sprawl sticks out like a green thumb in aerial photos.

Cher -

Julia Roberts -

I wonder who lives next to her. They seem to have gotten the memo - perhaps it's Leo "The ultimate Environmentalist's" - hmmm probably not - no room to land his private jet!

Experts predict California reservoirs have less than a year’s worth of drinking water left. An emergency law passed last week forces local cities to conserve water immediately. The Las Virgenes Municipal Water District, which supplies many of these elite enclaves north of Los Angeles, will have four weeks starting next month to cut water use by a staggering 36 percent. But the mandate is toothless, with the maximum fine a paltry $100.

$100. Why save water when you can easily afford the fine? The Al Gore school of conservation.

The Hidden Hills estate of Kim Kardashian/Kanye West is so lush, even their wealthy neighbors are outraged.

No real surprise there.

Pretty disgraceful, but not at all shocking. Yet, they are given soapboxes and credence. As usual, I am just SMH.

pagesix.com...

edit on 9-5-2015 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Babs is taking good care of her lawn I see.
A $100 fine is nothing. I thought it was supposed to be $500?
edit on 9-5-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Maluhia

*Sighs* I hate it when they don't practice what they preach. If they really do care about the environment let's start by having them give up their expensive mansions. Otherwise they should stop preaching environmentalism if they don't practice what they preach.

Here's a quote:

"Sometimes people need to take their advice, practice what you preach"
edit on 9-5-2015 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The correlation between income and water use makes an emerald lawn symbolize an economic divide, said Peter Gleick, president of the Pacific Institute, a research and policy group in Oakland.

Water is unevenly distributed; poor communities in the Central Valley also receive water by tanker, but to drink, not moisten greenery, he said.

“How would we feel if you could pay extra to smoke on airplanes?” Gleick said. “When we decide something is a bad idea in general for society, we don’t want the rich to be able to buy their way out of it.”

As much as 80 percent of urban water nourishes outdoor landscaping, a feature in ample supply on the sprawling estates of Montecito, an unincorporated hamlet of 9,000 people located 90 miles (145 kilometers) up the coast from Los Angeles.

www.bloomberg.com...
edit on 9-5-2015 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
But with a name like Barbara Streisand she probably hates dry sand.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
But with a name like Barbara Streisand she probably hates dry sand.

She also hates bars and bras.
I hope her shnoz stays properly hydrated.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   
only a years worth of drinking water left? how is the fine only 100$??? these "celebs" are disgusting "I'll just pay the fine what can they do" like seriously?.

they live in mansions that they probably only walk in 10% of the rooms, and have a lawn and a pool the size of 10 apartments combined which they also probably rarely even look at let alone use it.

why the hell does Barbara need such a big pool when she lives right next to the ocean????.

energy conservation???? are you kidding me? where are your solar panels Barbara? they have so much money and massive mansions yet not a SINGLE one of these people have a solar panel on their massive roofs.

they are "cutting" their water usage for the past few months? why were they using so much water for so long to begin with?, I really hope such pigs get what's coming to them.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

With her do as I say, not as I do attitude, she could be a politician.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
When the drinking water runs out,
those people with green lawns won't suffer because of it.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
These celebs are not worried.
They can afford to have water trucked in from other states.

You will note not a one of the homes has a solar panel on the roof.

And they all have the money to go completely solar if they WANTED.
And if they really believed in global warming.
edit on 10-5-2015 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

You will note not a one of the homes has a solar panel on the roof.

But, they probably have a Prius in their garage....you know, for photo ops.

They probably have a water stockpile room or wing as well. It's ok the rest of us will eat cake, no?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The rich historically keep making the same mistake over and over again. Just because you have money doesn't mean you can just live in your own world detached from the realities of the average person. The rich were targeted in the French Revolution because of this gap. The wealthy were able to buy and stockpile food while the poor starved.

This drought could do the same thing to America as the famine did to France. California produces 10% of this countries produce! Not to mention there are additional droughts in Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Texas, and New Mexico. Quite a few agricultural states there.

Also on a side note. I've been noticing a bit more water being drained from reservoirs here in Colorado in recent years and wonder if the reason is due to the increase in fracking. Since California is another big fracking state I wonder if a bunch of their water reserves were pumped into the ground for fracking, which may be one reason why it is so bad?

join