It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Lake Drains Like A Bathtub Every Year: VIDEO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I came across this today and wanted to share...Apparently this lake in Oregon drains every year down a lava tube...but then refills.
I Totally recommend the video showing this rather large lake going down the drain.

The water mystery: Lost Lake drains like a bathtub in Oregon

Every year the water from a lake in Oregon disappears down a 6ft-wide plug hole

A lake in Oregon fills up each winter and then drains like a bath tub as a 6ft-wide hole opens up.
The natural phenomenon causes Lost Lake to turn into a meadow in the summer.

It is caused by tunnel-like lava tubes, of which there are many nearby.
The lake is draining gradually all the time but as there is less rain in summer to replenish the lost water it becomes completely dry.

The water travels through porous volcanic rock underground and into an aquifer before emerging at nearby springs.
Jude McHugh, a spokesman for the Willamette National Forest, told ABC News: "In Lost Lake, this particular lava tube collapsed and became the drain hole for that lake.

"Eventually that same water pops up out and I'm having it in my morning coffee right now."
She said the hole had existed for as long as any local people could remember.

She said: “It fills up in the winter, when input exceeds the rate of draining, and then it goes dry and it’s a meadow."
There have been several attempts to block up the hole and forest rangers have found car parts and other debris which people threw into it.
Ms McHugh said: “If anyone was ever successful at plugging it, which we’re not sure they could do, it would just result in the lake flooding, and the road."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Cool Video:
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Someone should throw a camera down that hole and see what happens if/when it pops out the other side.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: WonOunce

...or at least some colored dye packets.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WonOunce

It will melt

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Neat article thanks!

I wonder how many tourist the locals send there fishing? Lol

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I think I found the hole. All the water in the lake seems to be draining towards this point.

44°26'2.38"N, 121°54'6.74"W

(link to Google Maps, but you can't zoom in very far ... better to use Google Earth).

Interestingly, there seems to be at least two Lost Lakes in Oregon, the one in the OP and a much larger one (which doesn't drain itself annually).

new topics

top topics

join