It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Everest shrank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If you were planing to be at the highest place on earth I got sad news for you, you will never be as high as the people that went there before you.

The first good view of the aftermath of Nepal's deadly earthquake from a satellite reveals that a broad swath of ground near Kathmandu lifted vertically, by about 3 feet, which could explain why damage in the city was so severe. The data also indicate the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest, got a wee bit shorter.

Researchers detected the vertical shift in the ground by comparing before-and-after radar images from the satellite using a technique that produces an image called an interferogram. The resulting images have rainbow-colored areas that represent the movement of the ground between the times each radar image was taken. Each colorful fringe on the European Space Agency's Nepal interferogram reflects about 1 inch of vertical movement. The results will be refined in the coming weeks, as scientists further analyize the images and additional data from satellites become available.

The radar images reveal that some of the world's tallest peaks — including Mount Everest — dropped by about 1 inch, according to the nonprofit UNAVCO, a geoscience research consortium.

link

I found this cool, and because that inch now i will never climb up that mountain, its not worth it anymore

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Well, if you're two inches taller than the tallest climber ever to scale the mountain, then you're still one inch higher on the earth

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Maybe if the mountain shrinks to an inch, I might climb it.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Well I was going to go climb it an all but now what's the point. No challenge now....

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: termi

Do it in high heels. You could pick up a couple of awards. Tallest climber, most fashionable climber. Could even invent a new sport, extreme high heeling.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ZeussusZ

LOL!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Jump when you get to the top....Or get on the shoulders of whoever you are with and there you go....Or chicken fight while on their shoulders....Whatever suits you honestly...

I guess everyone is looking for that extra inch....Aren't we all?

edit on 5/4/2015 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Bring a shovel and fix it, make it 2" taller. Back in business.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I just lost all respect for Everest. It looks like even mntns shrink in their old age.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

That is what I thought after reading the OP, is not that it shrank but that the land around got lifted,

just kidding and yes the devastation is incredible along with the deaths.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
"The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain" It's the story of a hill that got transgendered into a lil mountain.

I think Mt. Everest can do it! GO! EVEREST GO!

All kidding aside, I was wondering if it had affected the Everest in anyways, especially after seeing the video of the climbers that got hit by the snow avalanche when the earthquake happened. Thanks.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Well, if you're two inches taller than the tallest climber ever to scale the mountain, then you're still one inch higher on the earth

Or stilts! Dont forget stilts! That would also count I thinks.

edit on 4-5-2015 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

All joking aside,
that is a lot of earth that sunk in, if even an inch or two.

s&f

Interesting!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Bah, not worth it anymore.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

It's amazing to me that the methods described can detect a difference of 1"! That is some extremely sensitive equipment they have. I wonder how many more biggies there are going to be? Let's hope they don't come too often, and are in less populated areas!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Wow
Didnt realise they could measure to that degree

top topics

join