It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First F/A-22 crash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
In south Nevada Nellis airforce base, a F/A-22 fighter attacker have crashed leading to complete destruction of that plane. It happened on Dec 20 at 3:30, the pilot survived by ejection but the plane crashed on the runway.

Does this lead to anything people? Is this because of somekind of flaw in the design? Is Lockheed Martin lacking quality in F/A-22's production?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
hmmm... thats not good news to Lockheeds ears.

But remember, the jet was in evaluation & testing, so they try to see what its full potential is. I'll be waiting to hear what the result of the crash was.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well thats millions of dollars down the toilet. Each F-22 costs a lot so I'm sure the USAF will try to add more saftey features to keep those birds in the air. I'll be waiting with Murcielago to hear why it happened.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
umm, bad news, a raptor crashed near the runway, I'll be waiting for the official analysis report ...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Is there a link? Is there any real evidence that this happened at all?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
After checking every sorce I have on many dicussion boards and official websites I have come to the conclusion that he is taking about a crash that is not recent. A YF-22 crashed on an airforce base in 1993. It has software malfunctions and hit the runway. The pilot survived.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have a video of it,the tail fins were swinging madly before it crashed on the ground.....dang 250 million thats one expensive roller coaster

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
No its not that old crash, jettsetter, you must not have looked for yourself. heres some links.

Las Vegas Sun

Washington Times

KABC

USA Today

So yes, it's confirmed.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Oh, my god!!! this is actualy the 2nd crash as one of the protos had a small incident...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
*cough Flight Test cough*

The plane is still in flight test. It happens. We will all have to wait for the analysis to see what happend

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Maybe a screw was missing like when that F117 crashed

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Crash of a prototype during development is to be expected, however crash of a prototype that is going into squadron service as we speak is not to be expected.

Correction second crash in as many months!

"Monday's was the second crash involving a fighter in about six weeks at Nellis. An F-18 went down Nov. 9 about 15 miles north of the base. The pilot of that aircraft also managed to eject."

[edit on 21-12-2004 by psteel]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
For my personal opinion, the computer software for driving Raptor is not very stable at all ... Maybe it will be the Achilles heel of F/A-22, God Bless ...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
This F/A-22 Raptor crashed on take-off... We will see what the problem was shortly.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Crashes happen, get over it.

The F-22 is still the #1 fighter jet, so don't even think about questioning it.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I bet Dubya was at the helm, maybe he wanted to fly it to Baghdad and state that the war is over on the tarmac?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Its far too early to leap upon this crash as proof of defective electronics, manufacturing flaws or anything else. Any number of things could have caused that plane to have its unscheduled lack of sky incident.

However I would take issue with the posters who have claimed that the crash of a prototype is to be expected or that it is no big deal because it was a test flight. Come on guys, get real. it isn't the 1950's anymore and the crash of a prototype is a disaster to any programme, even more so to one this expensive. With the question of the Raptors funding very much a sore point at the moment it would be catastrophic if they were to suddenly beging falling out of the sky. Hopefully it was a one off caused by a bird strike or something and thank god the pilot is OK.

After I posted this I remembered that the Spanish Typhoon DA6 also crashed and I googled for info on it. I was immediately reminded of the sensationalist tripe that passes for reporting in the UK as the story of the so far one and only crash of this aircraft was reported by 'The Scotsman' with the headline "The Crash Prone Eurofighter"
Seeing as two Raptors have now bit the dust they'll probably have it down as 'the Widowmaker' or something

[edit on 21-12-2004 by waynos]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
These aircraft in opeval are not prototypes; they are production articles.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Where do you work OtS?

Could this be sabotage at all?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
that's 2 raptors crashed within 6 weeks of each other

alarm bells should be ringing, considering they are identical to the 40 raptors already built and currently undergoing pre-introduction testing

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join