It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK one of world's least religious countries

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
A new survey has indicated that the UK is one of the least religious countries in the world - here. Speaking as a Brit I find the results interesting and frankly rather reassuring. We don't really do religion here - or at least not in public.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Castles, Queens and Kings but at least the really silly things like gods and ghouls are being dropped.

GJ UK!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Prezbo369
Castles, Queens and Kings but at least the really silly things like gods and ghouls are being dropped.

GJ UK!

Well, we'll need the castles in case the Zombie Apocalypse hits us. Give us time on getting rid of the Royals - although I do predict that Charlie will be a disastrous king who might well cause the engine of republicanism to rev quite a bit faster!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm not sure Charles will ever get onto the iron throne, his mother seems to be ever living like her mother before her, or Mumm-Ra.

Good point on the castles though, I've always wanted a moat and drawbridge.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Could be so...

But when you only ask 1000 people out of 70m it's more than likely gonna be skewed results.

However...
Out of my close friends & me...

I'm religious...
My mates are agnostic (2), Muslim (1), believer but not religious (2), and 2 I don't know...

So 2 out of 8 = 25%.

So this survey may not be that far off tbh.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I have been reading a lot about GB and talking to work friends there about how they see what is happing . I cant help but think has the lose of the native religion left the door open for another religion , perhaps a more aggressive religion to fill its place and by doing so start changing the very culture of the country. I myself do not believe in the magic one who lives in the sky but I have seen how religion can shape a culture for good or bad( good and bad is in the eye of the beholder so I can only see with my eyes ). Im wondering is it possible for a country to give its religion up without its culture been destroyed, this is something I need to thing about and investigate.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is a good thing. This is one of the things I like about being a Brit. We seem to be happy in our own skins, and mature enough to have given up religion and all the crap it brings. I only know one religious person in my circle of friends who also happens to be gay.
edit on 13-4-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
30% of British people claiming religion is important to them is still some pretty disappointing results by a Gallup survey. Wikipedia has the Gallup results for 2008-09 and says only 26.5% says British people consider religion important, seems like the pome's are going backwards, back to the dark ages, lol.

Australia & new Zealand has about 32% of people who consider religion important. But Americans were at 65% of people who considered religion important in 2008-09. Those dudes are cray though, lol, just joking.

Importance of religion by country

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Religion belongs in ones home and heart, not the streets, not the government, not the country.

It is a personal thing and should remain that.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What do you expect, when we see what religion brings the world to?

I say good riddance!

edit on 13-4-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

I say good riddance!

We see the wack jobs in US congress and its easy to see why we want none of that

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Exactly!

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I say good riddance!

We see the wack jobs in US congress and its easy to see why we want none of that

But yet the British people were more than happy to let Tony Blair rant on about God and go invade Iraq in the name of Christianity, just like your American counter parts............... Just saying

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I say good riddance!

But yet the British people were more than happy to let Tony Blair rant on about God and go invade Iraq in the name of Christianity, just like your American counter parts............... Just saying

Yeah and we all hate the smiley faced bastard now.

Yet the USA still has Bushes in office and may run one again for a president

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Good, though further analysis might reveal that those that are religious might be more religious than average, for example the UK has spawned more than it's share of religious terrorists.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Is there such a thing as being more religious than someone else.

You're either religious or you're not surely...
edit on 13-4-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Good, though further analysis might reveal that those that are religious might be more religious than average, for example the UK has spawned more than it's share of religious terrorists.

They don't have a Creation 'museum' or Creationist 'scientists'.......
edit on 13-4-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirsCould be so...
when you only ask 1000 people out of 70m it's more than likely gonna be skewed results.

It would definitely not be practical to ask every citizen in the country, so a representative sample is reasonable for something like this, in most cases.

I agree with the findings, people in the UK are generally secular in their daily lives, even if they consider themselves Christian by default. This is more about how people were raised and perhaps feeling an obligation to say they follow a particular religion.

Either way, it's good news, religious nonsense is on the decline, and long may that continue. I have no problem with people believing in Santa, the Easter Bunny or an invisible sky wizard, I do have a problem with people demanding that the rest of a society should follow their religious delusions.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I say good riddance!

No, we really didn't.
He didn't rant on about it either, he was very careful to keep his religious beliefs out of his public image, just as all our politicians tend to do. British politicians, whatever party, are nothing like American politicians who stand on podiums and rant about their belief in God to an equally ignorant audience.

And, hundreds of thousands of people actually protested against Tony Blair, and thousands have called for him to be charged with war crimes since then too. The country did not back our government when Blair followed Bush like an obedient poodle. We were not given a choice.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Shame we can't kick out all the muzzies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join