It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical Sitaution: Anti matter beings?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   
What if a wormhole was opened from an anti universe (universe where everything was made of anti matter), and anti matter beings attempted to contact us?
What would such beings look like?
Is biology even possible in anti matter?
How might they communicate?
How might they communicate with us if everything explodes the second they touch it? (it has been estimated that a gram of anti matter would level all of new york city, including every building and subway system, due to the process of pair annihilation in which any regular matter touching it is converted to pure gamma energy).
According to general relativity, anti matter would have a repulsive form of gravity, or anti gravity when in contact with our universe...could this be how such beings don't destroy what they contact?
What kind of psychological/societal factors would affect such beings, if any? What might their motives be?
Could they hypothetically convert things from this universe into anti matter without destroying that object?
Finally, unlikely as it is....is this more than mere speculation on my part?
These questions are haunting my mind...

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: SpaceOverlord
As far as I know, a wormhole would connect one point in our universe to another point in our universe.

Since as far as we know our universe is primarily matter and not much antimatter, a wormhole is unlikely to connect to a part of the universe with large amounts of antimatter. (There are anti-matter particles around but in small amounts).

Scientists ran an experiment to see if antimatter would tend to "fall" down like normal matter, or would fall "up" unlike normal matter. It fell down.

If there was say an anti-matter galaxy, a photon is its own anti-particle meaning you should be able to send radio messages between matter and anti-matter galaxies though they would have to be pretty far apart, or else the matter and antimatter would interact. I know of no reason why biology won't work pretty much the same with anti-matter, if there was a sufficient amount of antimatter around for it to work with. Continuing that train of thought we'd have no reason to suspect that "anti-matter beings" would have different motivations from "matter beings".

We don't think there are large antimatter parts of the universe, say the size of a galaxy, though I don't think we can say we have proven that there aren't. So yes it's speculative, and I'd be surprised if an anti-matter galaxy was discovered, though not totally shocked. It would have to be well isolated from matter galaxies or we'd see the interaction for reasons you mentioned "(it has been estimated that a gram of anti matter would level all of new york city)" so obviously that kind of energy signature would be hard to overlook. It's partly because we don't see those huge energy signatures of matter and anti-matter galaxies interacting that we don't think there are large amounts of anti-matter around. We have been looking for anti-matter galaxies though:

In search of antimatter galaxies

Since antimatter doesn't look any different than ordinary matter, astronomers would not be able to tell whether a distant galaxy is made of matter or antimatter just by looking at it. However, AMS would find strong evidence of antimatter galaxies if it detected even a single nucleus of anti-helium or a heavier antimatter element.

Collisions among cosmic rays near Earth can produce antimatter particles, but the odds of these collisions producing an intact anti-helium nucleus are so vanishingly small that finding even one anti-helium nucleus would strongly suggest that the nucleus had drifted to Earth from a distant region of the universe dominated by antimatter.

edit on 12-4-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
If such a wormhole were to open, it would have to open far out in deep space, or any anti-matter beings that came through it would instantly annihilate.
edit on 4/12/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Watching Anti-Matter Aliens Pop.. fun.

What about using the 10 dimensions in quantum theory, like:
1 dimension > constant to all, but out of phase between the three below > 'Time'
3 dimensions - our human lives - on this planet/universe
3 dimensions - little grey men & some other alien life forms - on this same planet/universe
3 dimensions - uummm, say... middle earth, dragons, pixies etc - on this same planet/universe
10 dimensions, occasional gliches where humans get a sight/encounter with the other realms

Heck, plenty of other options too

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

I believe they would mostly look like BANG!

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

That is precisely what bothers me.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

If there were a species consisting of pure antimatter...that would be at least one very good reason why they don't advertise themselves to us....it would be a very explosive encounter, that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Who says it didn't. Could the big bang be the result of a anti-matter black hole spewing power into a baby universe? According to the experts the only thing different is the type of matter. Nothing saying under the right circumstances it couldn't create life and all of the options.
Any civilization powerful enough to harness the use of a wormhole for travel would be way in advance of our present science. Unless that's hiding out in area 51.

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
If such a wormhole were to open, it would have to open far out in deep space, or any anti-matter beings that came through it would instantly annihilate.

Not necessarily. As I mentioned before, general relativity predicts anti matter to have a repulsive gravity instead of an attractive one.
In fact, some scientists think this anti matter repulsive gravity could be the cause of the universes expansion. phys.org...
So if they have this anti gravity, they could repulse from any regular matter thus allowing them not to instantly annhilate with nearby objects...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
I know of no reason why biology won't work pretty much the same with anti-matter, if there was a sufficient amount of antimatter around for it to work with. Continuing that train of thought we'd have no reason to suspect that "anti-matter beings" would have different motivations from "matter beings".

Not necessarily. It's likely completely and totally different. After all, anti matter has flipped charges...meaning in other words that protons are negative and electrons are positive, or the reverse of "regular matter". Since electric charges are so important to forming the exact molecules that create life, it is likely that anti matter beings would be very different because their building blocks would be from flipped charges...

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpaceOverlord
What if a wormhole was opened from an anti universe (universe where everything was made of anti matter), and anti matter beings attempted to contact us?

How would a wormhole open up between them at all? A wormhole is a theoretical object composed of matter (or in your case antimatter) and needs what's called "negative mass" or "negative energy" in order to function. This negative mass would also be antimatter.

Anti-matter and matter annihilate each other in a burst of gamma rays when brought into contact with each other. So the wormhole would never open into our universe in the first place.

A more likely and weirder scenario (if that's what you're looking for) would involve a wormhole between a universe with slightly different physical laws and ours.

edit on 15-4-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Not necessarily. It's likely completely and totally different. After all, anti matter has flipped charges...meaning in other words that protons are negative and electrons are positive, or the reverse of "regular matter". Since electric charges are so important to forming the exact molecules that create life, it is likely that anti matter beings would be very different because their building blocks would be from flipped charges...
It's likely that any beings not from Earth would be different from Earth beings simply because they're not from Earth.

You have said that reversing the charges would have an effect on anti-matter beings' motivations, but you didn't say why, other than that the charges were reversed which seems like answering the question with a restatement of the question...hardly a logical or meaningful answer. If you really want to reach for a difference, the only possibility I can think of would be something called Baryon asymmetry but that's an unsolved problem with no answer yet. It's possible the answer to that could lead to some differences in antimatter beings, but until the answer is found, I don't think there's much foundation for claiming they would be different simply because the charges are reversed, though as I said even extraterrestrial beings made of normal matter would be different from Earth beings. You could claim we don't really know based on the baryon asymmetry problem, but not much more than that.

edit on 15-4-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 15 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I really enjoy the outside the box thinking, wish there were more threads/ideas like this with other intelligent life, multi dimensional life, or extra terrestrials. For energy to exist we need antimatter, so there must be invisible antimatter all around because we are producing energy all the time.

If there is some type of intelligent life that exists in antimatter, imagine it being more intelligent than us. Or maybe their "brain" is wired so differently that antimatter "culture" is way different to us. Could this be the reason there is no evidence of UFO's or even ghosts lets say because those intelligences are actually antimatter and their physical traces would cause annihilation? Or exposure to radiation? Would it change temperature or human/animal senses? Just a thought.

S&F

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man

I really enjoy the outside the box thinking, wish there were more threads/ideas like this with other intelligent life, multi dimensional life, or extra terrestrials. For energy to exist we need antimatter, so there must be invisible antimatter all around because we are producing energy all the time.

If there is some type of intelligent life that exists in antimatter, imagine it being more intelligent than us. Or maybe their "brain" is wired so differently that antimatter "culture" is way different to us. Could this be the reason there is no evidence of UFO's or even ghosts lets say because those intelligences are actually antimatter and their physical traces would cause annihilation? Or exposure to radiation? Would it change temperature or human/animal senses? Just a thought.

S&F

Interesting thought, but I doubt UFOs are anti matter, cause if they were every sighting would be accompanied by a bigger blast than Hiroshima!
That said, as I've mentioned earlier they may be able to enter our universe without exploding because they might have a repulsive gravity that would allow them to fly away from nearby matter, so they could still enter our universe...but entering our atmosphere is another issue entirely.
edit on 16-4-2015 by SpaceOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

It's likely that any beings not from Earth would be different from Earth beings simply because they're not from Earth.

You have said that reversing the charges would have an effect on anti-matter beings' motivations, but you didn't say why, other than that the charges were reversed which seems like answering the question with a restatement of the question...hardly a logical or meaningful answer. If you really want to reach for a difference, the only possibility I can think of would be something called Baryon asymmetry but that's an unsolved problem with no answer yet. It's possible the answer to that could lead to some differences in antimatter beings, but until the answer is found, I don't think there's much foundation for claiming they would be different simply because the charges are reversed, though as I said even extraterrestrial beings made of normal matter would be different from Earth beings. You could claim we don't really know based on the baryon asymmetry problem, but not much more than that.

I should clarify: the flipped charges wouldn't affect their motivations, but I'd think it'd majorly affect their biochemistry since flipped charge atoms probably form very different bonds, and atomic bonds are the foundation of biochemistry.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   

I should clarify: the flipped charges wouldn't affect their motivations, but I'd think it'd majorly affect their biochemistry since flipped charge atoms probably form very different bonds, and atomic bonds are the foundation of biochemistry.
I know of no evidence for this line of thought.

Just as our life is based on carbon, antimatter life could be based on anti-carbon which should bond about the same as carbon (except for the charges being mirrored), unless as I said there is some surprise in the solution to the baryon asymmetry problem.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

How would a wormhole open up between them at all? A wormhole is a theoretical object composed of matter (or in your case antimatter) and needs what's called "negative mass" or "negative energy" in order to function. This negative mass would also be antimatter.

Anti-matter and matter annihilate each other in a burst of gamma rays when brought into contact with each other. So the wormhole would never open into our universe in the first place.

A more likely and weirder scenario (if that's what you're looking for) would involve a wormhole between a universe with slightly different physical laws and ours.

So perhaps the wormhole wouldn't open, but here's why I think they could still potentially interact with us:
phys.org...
General relativity predicts that anti matter likely has a form of repulsive gravity, in fact there are even theories that this repulsive anti matter anti gravitational force is causing the big bang. It would also explain why we don't see anti matter constantly annhilating, especially if anti matter galaxies are actually real...
What does this have to do with the thread? Well, it would explain why they might not instantly annhilate since they could just repel off the rest of space and fly around that way...of course, if they entered a planetary atmosphere both parties would be screwed and this repulsive gravity likely wouldn't apply.
So I guess in this case, a wormhole wasn't plausible...but even assuming they never went to this universe, what would they be like?
I'd imagine they would look quite different given the flipped charges that form the molecules in their cells.
Granted, this is complete conjecture and theorizing on my part, but as a SETI researcher one must consider all possibilities, no matter how out there.
After all, aliens could take so many unfathomable and strange forms that sometimes radical speculation is the only way to advance the field...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I know of no evidence for this line of thought.

Just as our life is based on carbon, antimatter life could be based on anti-carbon which should bond about the same as carbon (except for the charges being mirrored), unless as I said there is some surprise in the solution to the baryon asymmetry problem.

What differences could the baryon asymmetry problem yield?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Well interesting idea first could there be anti matter beings well yes could we communicate em radiation would be possible since photons dont have an anti particle. but i dont think you would want to shake their hand thats for sure. As far as a black hole connecting another dimension probably not if you got by the singularity you would find yourself somewhere else in our universe. However we cant confirm this to be true through distortion of space you could have some very strange results.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
If I knew the answer to that, then it wouldn't be an unsolved problem in physics. One possibility is that there are no differences at all (besides the mirrored charges), which could be the case if for example, it turns out that there really are antimatter galaxies in the universe in equal mass to matter galaxies. That would solve the baryon asymmetry problem with virtually no differences (because it would mean there is no baryon asymmetry), but then we'd have to explain why we don't see the boundaries between matter and antimatter anywhere yet.

edit on 16-4-2015 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

top topics

<<   2 >>

join