It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

human genetic engineering reaching dangerous new levels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Scientists around the world are anticipating the results of a Chinese study that would mark the first time DNA in a human embryo has been modified in a way that would carry into future generations. Although the embryos would be for study only, and not intended for implantation, the research would mark a significant milestone: the first time human DNA had been altered so substantially that it would change the “germ line” — the eggs or sperm of any child produced from the embryo. Theoretically that could allow parents in the not-too-distant future to essentially clean their own eggs and sperm of undesired genes — such as ones known to cause cancer — and prevent those genes from being passed on to grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

link

So apparently we are soon going to be capable of removing bad genetic coding. There are a lot of genetic diseases that would vanish if this was done in mass. It seems like a good thing, but is it? Will this open the door to the mass destruction of human diversity? Would that be a good thing? I can see this being implemented in a modern eugenics conspiracy too. Also, this could be used to refine a persons genes so they are the perfect worker bee that always does what it s told.

What happens when we are all cleansed of our "bad" genes? I believe our overlords will encode their offspring with all of the intelligence and wipe the world clean of non-drone individuals. Elimination of free thinking will definitely be an end game here. Everyone will be the same and people will pay money to cleanse their children of all "bad" gene sequences. I don't believe this is "new" at all. Maybe they are planning on unleashing this beast soon. Good bye future free thinkers.
edit on 7-4-2015 by theyknowwhoyouare because: because I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

I would think the secret universe of mad scientists has been doing this long ago among other things.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I concur

I bet they make CIA agents with this tech =P

hivemind

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

And the obsticals of progress protest. What's new?this is the way of the world, but know this progress is immovable unwavering inevitable consequence. Its ends are neither morally right or wrong they just are.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Human progress dies when the greedy and power hungry start meddling with DNA in corrupt ways. Morality isn't the issue here, survival is. Until we are capable of using this tech solely for the good of mankind we are only hindering ourselves.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
Good bye future free thinkers.

Man, you are jaded. Eliminating harmful genes from our own reproductive system will lead to a loss of free thinkers? That's what you extrapolated that to?

When was the last time a free thinker thought "Gee... my cancer sure is allowing me to express myself better" or "If it weren't for my near-sightedness, I might not be able to think freely"?

Look, evolution is dumb. It is random and if a species benefits from that randomness, evolution hopefully occurs and the line continues with the cool new features. For all we know, somebody was born with a rad eye laser mutation thousands of years ago but got hit by lightning before they reproduced (with laser sperm and eggs, of course). What we are doing now is making evolution smart and not leaving it up to chance as much.

If a species advances enough to guide their own evolution, I say they're winning. It's an exciting time to be alive when we can watch mother nature and medical science shake hands at an apex of awesomeness. Eventually it will all converge and humanity as we know it won't exist. It will be better.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

No progress is impartial. Only you and I Are partial.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

Good bye future free thinkers.

Man, you are jaded. Eliminating harmful genes from our own reproductive system will lead to a loss of free thinkers? That's what you extrapolated that to?

When was the last time a free thinker thought "Gee... my cancer sure is allowing me to express myself better" or "If it weren't for my near-sightedness, I might not be able to think freely"?

Look, evolution is dumb. It is random and if a species benefits from that randomness, evolution hopefully occurs and the line continues with the cool new features. For all we know, somebody was born with a rad eye laser mutation thousands of years ago but got hit by lightning before they reproduced (with laser sperm and eggs, of course). What we are doing now is making evolution smart and not leaving it up to chance as much.

If a species advances enough to guide their own evolution, I say they're winning. It's an exciting time to be alive when we can watch mother nature and medical science shake hands at an apex of awesomeness. Eventually it will all converge and humanity as we know it won't exist. It will be better.

Maybe you should re-read the thread.

That is not the issue, it is a great thing IMO. The issue is all of the unspoken implications. Do you really believe your overlords will not use this in nefarious ways? Whether we like it or not it is here. I just don't believe they will stop at genetic diseases.

"hey ya'll, I just isolated the genetic sequence that allows people to question authority! Lets slip that is while we remove this here diabetes!"

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

So would it be progress if they screwed up everyone's ability to reproduce and mankind goes extinct? I think there are plenty of ways human progress has proven to be the exact opposite. What pushes us forward can be used to destroy us in the wrong hands.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Assuming key word assuming; and you know what they say about assumptions they make an ass of all of us. But assuming the end of all of us was reached through human "progress" who's to say that for us that end was not our natural progress ? How should our end occur? Why should it occur at all? If it does occur by what means will it?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Char-Lee

I bet they make CIA agents with this tech =P

hivemind

Then the tech is sub-par.

Just saying.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
This has I AM LEGEND written all over it.

Eradicating future cancer through genetic manipulation?

The ways genes express themselves is different than what scientists can figure out a purpose for.

Idiots.

~Namaste

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Do you really believe your overlords will not use this in nefarious ways?

Who are these overlords that care about your genes?

V

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Variable

Walmart, oh never mind I read jeans.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The cautionary tale of GATTACA comes to mind when I read stuff like this.

I also believe that our knowledge about phenotypical expression of genotypical encoding is still incomplete. We may alter a few of the building blocks that we think we understand and unleash something that we neither expect nor can control.

-dex

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
SEE?
I wondered how we became GREYS in the future now I can see it...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

No progress is impartial. Only you and I Are partial.

Progress is evolution. This alters what has been arranged over billions of years of evolution.
Evolution is impartial. If they pluck out evolved diseases, who is to say new and more terrible disease will not arise in its place. Evolution shows when there is a gap it gets filled. When dinosaurs got wiped out mammals on the fringes of the ecosystem arose. When disease gets wiped out, what will arise that may already be in place unrecognized?

Yes you and I are partial, which means we have no business substituting ourselves in place of evolution.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

That is not the issue, it is a great thing IMO. The issue is all of the unspoken implications. Do you really believe your overlords will not use this in nefarious ways? Whether we like it or not it is here. I just don't believe they will stop at genetic diseases.

"hey ya'll, I just isolated the genetic sequence that allows people to question authority! Lets slip that is while we remove this here diabetes!"

...Except there are no " unspoken implications", outside of your own paranoia (as evidenced by your references to "nefarious overlords")....

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP
You know tin I believe we are partaking in the platform of evolution and or progress. That to say we define this process and or alter its natural order, shows the hubris of man kind. We are yet a glimpse of a progressing ever changing fractal. Our purpose while complex is minute in the cosmic abundance.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Why do we have the bad genetic coding?
could it have other important applications?
will humans kill them selfs off with this?
in about 100 years?
IF we live that long.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join