It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
So it is fine for the upper classes to hoard oodles of money that will never be spent only passed down through generations.....it is fine to rape and pillage the planet,destroy the land,pollute the waterways etc all in the name of profit.....but if a poor person,someone who's life undoubtedly sux really badly want to buy a steak or some lobster which quite obviously would be a very rare thing...people want to complain about it.....wow just shows how screwed up the people of earth have become.....in a nutshell a bunch of hypocritical self centered leeches...

As far as i am concerned this jack ass can go and find something worthy of complaining about,but after reading this i am of the opinion his head is stuck so far up his own ass that he thinks he is smelling roses

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Personally I don't see why it matters what they buy, they are allotted x amount, if they wish to spend it foolishly, we are suppose to police that?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: ketsuko

That is just it...with many Seniors...they did work for many years...paid their taxes...get Social Security and some food stamps...they did pay their taxes and earned their money...it should be no one else's business what they buy with their food stamps or money.

This is why I save for my retirement is as many ways as I can. I hope that I will not be put in a position where I will have to worry about it, but if I do, I WILL NOT be wasting my limited funds on expensive crap like steak and lobster. I'll be making smarter purchases like whole chickens which can be used to make many different things including lots of broth, meat, etc., for various dished for the same price that you can spend on a single steak for one meal.

Part of it is learning to live within your means as much as possible. Steak and lobster are not it.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
So it is fine for the upper classes to hoard oodles of money that will never be spent only passed down through generations.....it is fine to rape and pillage the planet,destroy the land,pollute the waterways etc all in the name of profit.....but if a poor person,someone who's life undoubtedly sux really badly want to buy a steak or some lobster which quite obviously would be a very rare thing...people want to complain about it.....wow just shows how screwed up the people of earth have become.....in a nutshell a bunch of hypocritical self centered leeches...

As far as i am concerned this jack ass can go and find something worthy of complaining about,but after reading this i am of the opinion his head is stuck so far up his own ass that he thinks he is smelling roses

How can I be a hypocritical, self-centered leech?

I cannot afford steak and lobster because, among other things, I get taxed at a sky-high rate to pay for all the people who think it's pretty fine to use their food stamps to buy steak and lobster because they're "free."

I have a weekly grocery budget of around $120 to stretch for three. You tell me where I'm finding room in there for steak and lobster.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

If you absolutely need food stamps to feed your family, how can you afford lobster? If you want to splurge do it on your own dime. I don't buy steak or lobster because it's too expensive. Why am I expected to be fiscally responsible and wrong to expect them to be as well?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I believe in good nutrition and I also believe in freedom of choice.

I think instead of taking away peoples freedom of choice who are on food stamps...why not have classes that teach them about good nutrition and simple menu plans that they can cook at home.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: muse7
I didn't blame anyone for anything, my point is if someone else is paying the check you don't order the lobster.

This is why when I'm on a date, I order a salad. Usually most people won't order something more expensive than what the person paying is having...

Yes. I am cheap.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Yep a problem does exist, but it usually goes further than just the food stamps themselves. There are those that somehow seem to slip through the bureaucratic cracks, somehow they manage to lie on all their forms or something, they get way more from the government than they should. They get the max of all government benefits while also finding illegal sources of money on top of it. These are people breaking the law and getting away with it.

I know such a person a compulsive and very convincing liar that's caused my slightly mentally deficient brother all sorts of trouble, drags her abused child everywhere, does drugs, has problems in multiple states, yet somehow just plays musical chairs with states, gaming the system, and lying, has done it for years and years and years, and somehow gets away with all of it. Soon my brother might be going to jail for not paying child support (even though she was living with him at the time and living off his money) and lying on his taxes (He can't read and she did them for him), he's also broke, as she managed to steal his entire 41k on top of all the money from the lie on the taxes... yes he's partly responsible for it even with his disabilities, but she's done stuff like this all her life and gets away with it.

She's been abusing the system and others all her life, these are the people that can eat lobster everyday. Is like those panhandlers that throw on dirty clothes and go to the choice spots, and make hundreds a day and have a house and nice car and eat great. (yes these professional panhandlers exist.)

It's not the system that's the problem, it's the criminals that's the problem, because that's what these people are criminals, and no system is going to stop criminals from being criminals 100%. Which is the problem, we need more effort to find these kinds of criminals, not looking with beady eyes at each thing individually for abuses, because it's never that simple. If a person is abusing the system, instead of punishing everyone the individuals purchasing all this stuff regularly should be looked into individually because they're breaking the law somewhere if they're pulling this off.

No one can use all their food stamps on lobster if they aren't getting money from somewhere else as well. The food stamps aren't the problem in the least.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Truly idiotic. Unhealthy items are often chosen because they are cheaper and not necessarily "luxury" items like cookies or soda. A box of cookies is $2 - $3 while a single large red delicious apple is $1. A 2L of Pepsi is $1-$2 versus a 2L of Orange Juice which is $4-$5. There were times as a poor student where buying an individual steak (usually a cheaper cut that needed marinading) was cheaper than buying chicken. Or even when I was a kid and my mom was on income assistance, we would get seafood occasionally when it was on sale like a bag of prawns on for $5 when they were usually $10.

It goes to show you that the politicians and every day people who criticize the system are wholly out of touch.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

i'm not on food stamps and I can't afford those things, so why should they take my tax money and buy them?

I have a really hard time with this statement/attitude.
You are CHOOSING NOT to buy those things. You can afford those things. You just don't choose to.

I'm very curious about your family history and family system - how it is you came to your mentality. People's views on things fascinate me, and I would love to hear your story. How you got to where you are now.

My story is readily available on here -

But, in any case, you seem to have some problem with the whole 'sharing' thing.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

That's the only reason I drink soda and eat like I do, I wish I could afford to eat healthy I really do. I have everything I need to cook great healthy food, except the healthy food to cook that I cannot afford. So instead I eat things I know are killing me, especially with my severe hypertension because I can't afford anything else.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I cannot afford steak and lobster because, among other things, I get taxed at a sky-high rate to pay for all the people who think it's pretty fine to use their food stamps to buy steak and lobster because they're "free."

I have a weekly grocery budget of around $120 to stretch for three. You tell me where I'm finding room in there for steak and lobster.

Whoa there...are you the lawmaker in question who proposed this ?...if not how did you deduce that i was making my comment about you personally.....?

Moving on....you are quite right in what you are saying with how you spend that money,and i agree that on such a limited budget steak and lobster and not exactly a smart purchase.....in saying that not alot of homeless have the ability to plan meals like that and live a day to day,meal to meal existence.....

My point being ....what gives others a right to police how and what people feed themselves with.....this kind of stuff aggravates me especially when we have people being jailed for feeding the homeless....

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
You are CHOOSING NOT to buy those things. You can afford those things. You just don't choose to.

Don't tell others what they can afford. I can't afford it. I don't buy it. I have not bought a steak or lobster in 6 years.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Oh, I'm in the same boat too. There are times where a bag of chips and a can of pop is dinner because it costs a whopping $3. People want to eat healthy but unless it is on sale or cheap, people will always go for the cheaper options if they are financially strapped. I remember in high school, the teachers would harp on us because we got french fries or pizza for lunch versus a salad from the cafeteria. The fries were $1.50, the pizza slices went for $1 while a plain salad with dressing on the side was $2.75. Of course the poorer students were going to go for the cheap, more filling option. That is what people on food stamps and income assistance choose. Quantity over quality.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Whoa there...are you the lawmaker in question who proposed this ?...if not how did you deduce that i was making my comment about you personally.....?

Moving on....you are quite right in what you are saying with how you spend that money,and i agree that on such a limited budget steak and lobster and not exactly a smart purchase.....in saying that not alot of homeless have the ability to plan meals like that and live a day to day,meal to meal existence.....

My point being ....what gives others a right to police how and what people feed themselves with.....this kind of stuff aggravates me especially when we have people being jailed for feeding the homeless....

This is so perfect.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
So the hypocrites that love to champion the conservative cause of smaller government and more personal freedom, want to create a set of authoritarian laws that tell people on welfare what they can and cannot buy.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   
" Let them eat spam"

edit on 5-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I think the point was, you could easily sacrifice many luxuries you enjoy to afford such things. I could too. If I really wanted that healthy food I can't afford currently, I could IF I was willing to sacrifice all the things in life that keep me going emotionally day to day. Like being here on this computer, or watching netflix, or having pets, ect. Don't tell me there's nothing you could not give up to get that steak and lobster? Surely you're making trade offs somewhere, I know I am, and as we're both on here, I'm pretty sure you are as well.

So yeah a poor person may get that lobster, if they really need that food stamps though, it's a rare treat. If they don't need it, they're probably breaking the law anyway, and it's not the food stamps that's the problem. Is like getting mad at those without jobs because some drug dealer without a legal job has a Ferrari and you don't. Is not a fair comparison.

If a poor person decides to ration smartly and get lobster for their birthday, splurging once throughout the year, is that really a big deal to you? Just cut off internet for a month and you can do the same.

link   

I'm not on food stamps and I can't afford those things, so why should they take my tax money and buy them?

If you can't afford to buy steak, you're not paying any taxes either, other than FICA. And that doesn't pay for Food Stamps.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

That's the only reason I drink soda and eat like I do, I wish I could afford to eat healthy I really do. I have everything I need to cook great healthy food, except the healthy food to cook that I cannot afford. So instead I eat things I know are killing me, especially with my severe hypertension because I can't afford anything else.

This.

I'm not on food stamps, and I love to cook. I have all the tools to cook healthy foods, but I don't. Why? Have you tried to buy healthy stuff to cook? It costs twice as much!

I swear there's a conspiracy to keep middle class/lower class people unhealthy by making healthy food cost more. It seems only the well-off can afford to eat healthy foods. Things like pizza rolls and microwavable foods are cheap (you can buy huge boxes of frozen burritos and corn dogs super cheap) -- but buying all the healthier alternatives to actually cook ... well that costs quite a bit more.

I also live in Alaska, and milk is $5 a gallon so...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join