It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I love camera flare.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I was using my tablet on google hangout today and noticed some strong glare hitting my camera. After the call I decided to play around with the camera to get flare. I happen to love the colors and shapes made. So while recording I happened to notice when pointing the camera slightly off the sun and into the shade; that the recorded seemed to show the sun. Reminded me a lot of the shots taken of the sun by SDO. Would you guys mind taking a look and explaining it to me? I'd love for it to be a tiny sun but figure its just some cool flare.

easier to see in 1080

www.youtube.com...
edit on 4-4-2015 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

... I am not sure how to explain this optical illusion ... but having noticed it I have incorporated it into a painting I did many years ago ...

I will try to explain what I saw ...
I was not using a camera ... I was painting from "Life" using my eyes ...
The sun was half hidden and half in view as I was looking out of the window painting the garden ...
I noticed that visually the bright Sun completed a circle of light ... where as it should have been only a half circle as the window edge obscured half the Sun ...
so I painted the illusion into the painting IE a full circle of bright light ...

I know this does not explain the optical illusion but I noted on your vid that a similar thing was occurring ... apart from the other effects ...

Another artist I knew used to look at the Sun very briefly then close their eyes and then paint the colours and patterns they made ... It is late here hope I am making sense ...

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Here's the painting to explain the optical illusion I was talking about
Note the Sun at the top of the pic ... it should be a half circle if you follow the line of the wall

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

My eyes or I guess it's my brain will do that sometimes too.. Just make things go somewhere where they sort of should be, even though there is no logical way to be seeing it.. I've also noticed you can make things appear to change color if you only slightly focus near them.. has to be soft or dark lighting.

Your brain is kind of guessing the color, and it can flip back and forth of colors that have the same brightness value. Like a light green thing can turn pink.. But it can only happen if you don't decide what color the thing should be..

I used to be obsessed with covering one eye behind a blanket and my other eye sees past it.. My eyes combine the images and it looks like I'm looking through an invisible blanket, haha..

At the OP... That looks like a lens flare to me. I think it's a slightly different affect from the spread out flares.. the size difference in the small sun and the actual sun is probably some proportion of the apperature or whatever is it is?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

That's cool.. I like that. Nice work.

And actually my brain likes that, and thinks that's how it should look.. I had to follow the line of the wall to make me know it was overlapping, but my brain on it's own thought it looked fine lol. I like how you did the mirror and the reflection and all that all over..

Great use of light.
edit on 4-4-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Yes I do things like that all the time ... also when painting I will squint my eyes ... it somehow gives you a better contrast of tone between dark and light ... sorta like taking a photo or scan of a painting in progress and then darkening it in a Photo prog to see what it would look like ... I love say Rembrandt when he paints say the highlight on the edge of a plate and how your eye makes up the rest though it is not painted in
edit on 4-4-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It looks to me to be reflections off the lens coatings, perhaps an IR and UV coating.

Others will have more skill and or knowledge in this than I do though.

P

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
very cool.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I think your answer is the most viable. Seems this thread is concluded.

top topics

join