It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should ATS change the title of debunked threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be awesome if the MODs changed the titles of debunked threads?

Like if anyone posts "PROOF!!" In there title but there is no proof at all. Then one of the MODs comes through and adds "There is No" in front of the title.

Examples: "Proof aliens have infiltrated the government!!"

Changed to: "There is no Proof aliens have infiltrated the government!"

Or

" Obama grants immunity to vaccine whistleblower"
To:
" there is no vaccine whistleblower for Obama to grant immunity to!"

"Proof the universe is fine tuned"

To

"There is no proof the universe is fine tuned!"

Y'all get the point, thoughts?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
From what I understand, if a thread is debunked or deemed untrue, it gets moved to the Hoax forum.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

Like if anyone posts "PROOF!!" In there title but there is no proof at all. Then one of the MODs comes through and adds "There is No" in front of the title.

Yes, but but, there is no proof, that there is no proof, that aliens have infiltrated the government...in 'fact' there is more proof that they have.

edit on 31-3-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
From what I understand, if a thread is debunked or deemed untrue, it gets moved to the Hoax forum.

Maybe in theory... But i have never seen one moved. Not saying they haven't been. Just that it's a FAR rarer occurrence then hoax threads are posted...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Yes, but but, there is no proof, that there is no proof, that aliens have infiltrated the government...in 'fact' there is more proof that they have.

But what if the specific example of proof is debunked?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

There are actually two repositories for dubious threads. The LOL forum (or Ludicrous Online Lies) and the Hoax forum. I've seen threads sent to either of those places. Mods are pretty good about moving threads that are proven hoaxes to the Hoax forum from what I've seen. I'm not sure what gets them sent to the LOL forum though, but I have seen it happen.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Tomorrow is 1st April

The mods really have to work hard then

I get the feeling you'll see plenty of threads getting moved LOL

Cody

edit on 31/3/15 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Oh, I didn't know about the LOL forum, I'll have to check it out.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

But what if the specific example of proof is debunked?

Then it's only debunked, there are many examples of something declared here as debunked that are no more than opinion.
We had just an example the other day here at ATS, a thread opened on a subject that had been discussed a couple of years ago. Someone posted a link to the old thread declaring that it had been debunked previously in the old thread...and quite simply it hadn't been debunked at all.

Thing is no one should mess with a thread heading. In any case it's easy to junk a thread by putting it into the 'HOAX' forum or the 'LOL' forum.

edit on 31-3-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

No. How would we know what it said before it got "debunked"? And who cares even, once its debunked?

Like yesterdays news is no longer newsworthy, debunked history is best forgotten, imo.

ETA: The only ones trying to keep that stuff alive are the manipulators of truth.
edit on 31-3-2015 by intrptr because: ETA:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

the funny thing about the word "debunked" is how often is is misused to describe a wholly subjective opinion based on evidence.

More often than not, "debunked" is misused when the user believes the absence of evidences equates to and evidence of absence.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

No. How would we know what it said before it got "debunked"? And who cares even, once its debunked?

Like yesterdays news is no longer newsworthy, debunked history is best forgotten, imo.

ETA: The only ones trying to keep that stuff alive are the manipulators of truth.

I meant go back days after the thread was created and change the title, not delete the thread or change the entries.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

the funny thing about the word "debunked" is how often is is misused to describe a wholly subjective opinion based on evidence.

More often than not, "debunked" is misused when the user believes the absence of evidences equates to and evidence of absence.

I think a lot of the time proof is used in a heading, they name a specific thing as proof.

Like "scientist proves god created the universe".

While of course you can't debunk the god created the universe part, you can find out the scientist doesn't actually exist. So you would change the thread to "Scientist does not prove god created the universe".

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I meant go back days after the thread was created and change the title, not delete the thread or change the entries.

Not sure where you are coming from. You mean to hide it?

Or…

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Not sure where you are coming from. You mean to hide it?

Or…

Nope just let people know the topic or specific claim is a lie.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Changing the title can change the context though. That is why they move it to the appropriate forum.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico

Changing the title can change the context though. That is why they move it to the appropriate forum.

We should be changing the context if the original context is a provable falsehood.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Nope just let people know the topic or specific claim is a lie.

Ahh, then you are referring to the Skunkworks

Thats where they put stuff thats considered bunk.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

If I saw a thread titled "Scientist does not prove god created the universe", I honestly would think, what was the point of creating that thread?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
But if you were one of the poster who helped debunk the thread it would make your week!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join