It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Don't Need More Stars, We Need SUNS!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The 5 star thread has gotten a little bashy, which the OP really didn't deserve. I will happily relieve him & place myself in the line of fire.

He was on the right track, imo, as ATS has a unique points system but which is not promoted & is mostly influenced by moderators rather than fellow members.

I think being able to give a post more than one star at a time would completely defeat the purpose of the star system, despite how seriously you take it.

What we need is a new interactive symbol that could represent something more than stars.

That symbol is a NEON ORANGE SUN!

Do stars add "points"?
Moderators can applaud or warn you, resulting in a 500 point addition/deduction respectively.

Another member had an idea, which I consider an absolutely necessary function, of giving the new Icon a once a week "cooldown". (As in you can only give out one Sun a week)

Say for example you can give people a "Sun" which results in 100 points towards that users lightning score.

This would add a whole new level of direct interaction & influence between members & their support of a specifically well put idea.
Not to mention it would add a new brilliance to the forum for the rare posts that have 1 or more "Suns" coloring it's edges.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'd rather someone cut me a check, a dollar a star. Come'on Skeptic, you know you want to! Just think of Slayer's payout.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

If they did that, they just might be able to justify a $5 monthly (& optional) "membership donation", to create a pool of cash that is awarded to members bi-annually based on their # of stars. If you don't donate, you can't give or receive stars.

SUNS sounds a lot more realistic imo lol

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
a reply to: Rosinitiate

If they did that, they just might be able to justify a $5 monthly (& optional) "membership donation", to create a pool of cash that is awarded to members bi-annually based on their # of stars. If you don't donate, you can't give or receive stars.

SUNS sounds a lot more realistic imo lol

We if you look at some of the older accounts you'll notice some glitching with the numbers. My original account didn't regester flags, always showed zero. I'm pretty sure trying to make modifications to the existing platform would probably cause havoc, more harm than good. Creating a new one would cost money and likely wipe out account histories.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I find myself channeling Bridget Jones...just once, it would be nice for someone to love ATS..."just as it is..."

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

If you're pushing for the option of giving a sun I think it's only fair that we can also moon people.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

If you're pushing for the option of giving a sun I think it's only fair that we can also moon people.

Well then I want little dodo heads......while we're at it.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Priceless and seconded!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

ROTFLMFAO!

Pleeease!?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Acceptance of stagnancy will be humanities downfall.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I will also add that stagnancy IS the downfall of a successful business.

So I ask you KJ?

Where is your God now?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
double post
edit on 23-3-2015 by Rocketgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate Well then I want little dodo heads......while we're at it.

Lol......he said dodo.

Now back on topic. I don't see anything wrong with the star system ats has now. Change is good, but the whole sun thing just sounds odd in my opinion. I mean if we were to start giving suns then we might as well start giving rainbows and storm clouds as well.
edit on 23-3-2015 by Rocketgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Wait, wut?

So now the sun and stars are not enough? We're dragging God into it too? Next you'll demand dragons.

edit on 3/23/2015 by kosmicjack because: phone phumble phingers

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocketgirl

originally posted by: Rosinitiate Well then I want little dodo heads......while we're at it.

Lol......he said dodo.

Now back on topic. I don't see anything wrong with the star system ats has now. Change is good, but the whole sun thing just sounds odd in my opinion. I mean if we were to start giving suns then we might as well start giving rainbows and storm clouds as well.

This is pure hyperbole & the inability to contribute critical thought.

We are talking about a new, unique, interactive feature being implemented. Why bring up random other potential features based on random weather events? That would be redundant.

Your post was witty & funny, but not pertinent. Star for you!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I brought it up because your idea was just as odd/weird like I stated in my post. I wasn't trying trying to be witty. So you can stop getting upset about what I wrote because my idea was just as dumb as yours and that was the point of my post. Again, that is entirely my opinion.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've long advocated, tongue in cheek (no comment), giving 'geese' on ATS. I shall advocate it here again: We should also be able to give 'geese'.

That said, here is something completely different.

edit on 23-3-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Just wait til you find the ATS Cow level.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I disagree with the "suns" just as I disagree with the "5 stars" (though it was wrong to attack Charlie).

If you like a post star it (and flag it to draw attention to it).

Report it for its content (as the mod said in the former post).

Most importantly, if you really like a post - reply. Tell the author of the post what you liked about the post, what they did well, what you enjoyed. That will go much farther than any symbol that just becomes "clicks for cliques" over time. If someone cannot take the time to tell someone why they enjoyed the post, is it really worthy of increased praise (other than a star)?

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
If something like that is implemented please make a "turn it off" button for stars, suns, dodo heads, cat pictures and cupcakes in the settings. Thank you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join